GDT: Dec 17 - Canucks @ Wild - 5pm SNET-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Dec 17 - Canucks @ Wild - 5pm SNET-P

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:One thing I don't like about Torts is his propensity to play Sestito, for some reason, when he is clearly just a terrible hockey player.

I had a chuckle when the fourth line's ice time went down to ~5 minutes with Sestito back in the lineup after the Welsh-Dalpe-Weise line played 9-10 minutes against Edmonton and Boston.
If Welsh is willing to drop his gloves from time to time, he might have the spot instead of Sestito. I am not saying that Sestito is a great fighter. However, he brings something that the Canucks sorely lack, size and grit.

Welsh has the potential to be a third line center if he could improve his game.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Jovocop wrote:However, he brings something that the Canucks sorely lack, size and grit.
I do not agree - around and around we go.

To me grit isn’t a staged fight or face washing a guy in a scrum. It’s being hard on the forecheck, dogged on defense, hard along the boards and aggressive in front of the net. Sestito isn’t capable of any of this because he is constantly out of the play due to his terrible foot speed and bad plays with the puck.

Tom Sestito on the bench for 55 minutes per game adds very little size or grit, and the 5 or so minutes he actually plays is like killing off an extra penalty.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Sestito needs to be playing with the twins. He can be Semenko to their Gretzky, Gino to their Bure.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
Jovocop wrote:However, he brings something that the Canucks sorely lack, size and grit.
I do not agree - around and around we go.

To me grit isn’t a staged fight or face washing a guy in a scrum. It’s being hard on the forecheck, dogged on defense, hard along the boards and aggressive in front of the net. Sestito isn’t capable of any of this because he is constantly out of the play due to his terrible foot speed and bad plays with the puck.

Tom Sestito on the bench for 55 minutes per game adds very little size or grit, and the 5 or so minutes he actually plays is like killing off an extra penalty.
Don't get me wrong, I like Welsh over Sestito. However, when playing against some teams, you just need some extra muscles. Sestito is not much of a fighter but he can at the least dance with the opposing goons instead of having Kassian or Weise doing the dirty job.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Topper wrote:Sestito needs to be playing with the twins. He can be Semenko to their Gretzky, Gino to their Bure.
Wouldn't that be nice if Sestito can play and fight like Gino or Brashear?