LA Kings at Canucks. 7PM SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Re: LA Kings at Canucks. 7PM SNET

Postby Meds » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:53 am

Mixed emotions on this one......

The positives.

Both Sedins out up a point and battled hard all night.

That was the most emotion I've seen from a Swede when Henrik scored the go ahead goal.

The team woke up and answered the bell after Nolan took a run at Henrik. Great push back, and it was nice to see that when this group has finally had enough they can actually stand their ground.

Weise had a very good game. Loved his hit on Mitchell.

In general I got the impression that once the wake up call came through, the Canucks were under the Kings skin more than the Kings were under theirs.

For the most part the Canucks played a disciplined game (penalty-wise) while still taking it to LA.

PK. I'm not even worried when we have to play shorthanded this year.

Booth had a good game. For a guy who has been out of the lineup for as long as he has, he skated very well, went to the net, shot the puck, just gripping the stick a bit too tightly. The effort was there, so hopefully a pro scout saw that and took note.

Negatives...

Luongo. He simply HAS TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE. How many goaltenders are slamming the door on our guys on similar opportunities? He didn't have much to do last night, and all 3 of those goals were somewhat stoppable.

Powerplay was terrible. Our players just don't support the puck away from the puck carrier. For two guys with amazing offensive smarts and ability, the Sedins don't do very well at all when it comes to reading how to creat a scoring play when the puck isn't on their stick. Totally static. The Kings PP was attempting passes into and through the slot every chance they got, and it works because their players away from the puck are moving around and trying to find open areas to be hit with a pass. We have three guys down low, one at the net battling, one in the corner and one on the wall. The point men are easily taken away because the defenders don't have to respect our forwards because they just stay put.

Edler. Had some good hits. Totally misread that play on the tying goal. The puck was right there for him to pick up and either take around the net or just sweep it around the boards and safely out of the zone. Instead, we'll we all saw it. Another Edler brain fart that ended up in our net. He was also lousy at the point again, him and Garrison both were doing a terrible job of setting each other up for one-timers.

Kassian was pretty meh tonight. Played physical, ready to scrap, but was ineffective on the attack and on defense.

Did Higgins even play?
Meds
CC Legend

Postby herb » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:07 am

Sigh.....lol

Lots of things to like about this one except for three blown coverages resulting in three goals against. This was an excellent game to watch.

Tortorella listened to me and put Hank and Kesler on separate lines. We were actually able to roll 3.5 competent lines, which was a decent change.

The PP looked better. They looked desperate and like they wanted a goal, rather than afraid they wouldn't score.

When it rains it pours in Vancouver I suppose. If adversity builds teams, then maybe we'll have a decent team out of this group before too long. When the floodgates open, I can see this team rolling off 10 straight wins.

At least we didn't lose 6-0 to Columbus.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:21 am

Garrison needs a lesson in 2 on 1 coverage. THE DEFENSEMAN TAKES AWAY THE PASS, THE GOALTENDER LOOKS AFTER THE PUCK CARRIER!
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby KeyserSoze » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:58 am

Garrison caught watching on the first goal. Give the King's forwards credit - played the opportunity nicely and at high tempo.

On the tying goal some bad puck luck and a breakdown in the D zone. Kes wins the draw and it bounces over Booth's stick. I've never been a fan of the winger setting up high like Booth was, essentially in the same lane as the D man. If he's set up at the hash marks the LA wingers aren't blitzing off the draw and the Kes faceoff win likely goes clean to our Dman. Edler make's a bad decision to chase behind the net, and Kesler is too aggressive on the pass leaving his own man wide open in front.

A bit of bad puck luck on the GWG goal as well...plus more blown coverage. Bieksa fluffs it...Edler is in the opposite corner giving Bieksa an outlet (leaving him in no mans land on the quick change of possession), and Kesler is too slow to react to his man moving in from the point.

This one stings.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby okcanuck » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:12 am

0 -8 pp fuck. Nough said
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby herb » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 am

^ Uhhh Hank's goal was on the power play.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby KeyserSoze » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 am

PP was actually 1/8

12.5%

Better than the season avg of 11.6%...moving in the right direction!

:hmmm:
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Tiger » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:32 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:PP was actually 1/8

12.5%

Better than the season avg of 11.6%...moving in the right direction!

:hmmm:

hmmm moving in the right direction a bit too slowly.. like our forwards on the PP.. not enough movement.

another tough losss.. shit..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby okcanuck » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:54 pm

I stand corrected. Man I feel way better now.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Topper » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:15 pm

A few comments;

I do appreciate the way the reins have been loosened and the team will stand up for itself. Mitchell, repeatedly, and Nolan were held accountable whether the ref's issued penalties (Mitchell) or not (Nolan).

Booth played and played well. He went to the net. I don't know if this is a chance to get back in the line up or a showcase stint, but his effort was there.

Dale Weiss deserves kudos for his 3rd/4th line play.

The team is over handling the puck. The releases are not quick enough, whether it is passes or shots, they have to get the puck moving quicker because opponents are tipping pucks and sticks too often.

The game is 60 minutes not 55 minutes.

Jason Garrison is for whatever reason, playing far too tentative.

Topper
CC Legend

Postby The Brown Knight » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:38 pm

Topper wrote:A few comments;

I do appreciate the way the reins have been loosened and the team will stand up for itself. Mitchell, repeatedly, and Nolan were held accountable whether the ref's issued penalties (Mitchell) or not (Nolan).

Booth played and played well. He went to the net. I don't know if this is a chance to get back in the line up or a showcase stint, but his effort was there.

Dale Weiss deserves kudos for his 3rd/4th line play.

The team is over handling the puck. The releases are not quick enough, whether it is passes or shots, they have to get the puck moving quicker because opponents are tipping pucks and sticks too often.

The game is 60 minutes not 55 minutes.

Jason Garrison is for whatever reason, playing far too tentative.

Great post.

You hit the nail on the head as far as overhandling the puck and slow releases are concerned.

Over the past few games, we've been getting more calls our way from the refs.

Hopefully, this is a sign of things to come.

Good point on Weise as well. I think he coordinated the neighborhood quite well.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby vic » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Meds wrote:Luongo. He simply HAS TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE. How many goaltenders are slamming the door on our guys on similar opportunities? He didn't have much to do last night, and all 3 of those goals were somewhat stoppable.

I'm calling bullshit on this, Luongo did have one of those, he actually had more than one of those...he made some big saves when the score was 1-0, and a few more when it was 1-1.

All three goals were after defensive zone breakdowns where a King's player was basically left all alone in front of the net. I can't remember the last time a Canuck player had a breakaway or even a second in front of the opposition's goalie with a pass right on the stick and no other player in striking distance. I can't remember if it was 1-0 or 1-1 at the time, maybe it was even 2-1, Luo made that monster save with his blocker when (guess what) another King's player was allowed to skate in on his own, there's your save, now it's time to put the game away which the team wasn't able to do.
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:44 pm

vic wrote:
Meds wrote:Luongo. He simply HAS TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE. How many goaltenders are slamming the door on our guys on similar opportunities? He didn't have much to do last night, and all 3 of those goals were somewhat stoppable.

I'm calling bullshit on this, Luongo did have one of those, he actually had more than one of those...he made some big saves when the score was 1-0, and a few more when it was 1-1.

All three goals were after defensive zone breakdowns where a King's player was basically left all alone in front of the net. I can't remember the last time a Canuck player had a breakaway or even a second in front of the opposition's goalie with a pass right on the stick and no other player in striking distance. I can't remember if it was 1-0 or 1-1 at the time, maybe it was even 2-1, Luo made that monster save with his blocker when (guess what) another King's player was allowed to skate in on his own, there's your save, now it's time to put the game away which the team wasn't able to do.

Well, you've gotta put a face to blame, who is left now that AV is gone? Certainly do not want to pin it on the new coach. Edler and Luongo seem to be the front runners, although the much loved Boothy who gets more rope than any seemingly is catching up, some are taking it out on Burrows, some Kassian, some the Sedins, some Kesler, but at the end of the day it has to be Luongo cause shit we really don't want to bring any attention to the much loved Mike Gillis like this just might be his doing.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:53 am

____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Topper » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:39 am

Could only have been better if he was also called for kneeing while bloodying himself.

Topper
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Game Day Forum