LA Kings at Canucks. 7PM SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: LA Kings at Canucks. 7PM SNET

Post by Meds »

vic wrote:
Mëds wrote: Luongo. He simply HAS TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE. How many goaltenders are slamming the door on our guys on similar opportunities? He didn't have much to do last night, and all 3 of those goals were somewhat stoppable.
I'm calling bullshit on this, Luongo did have one of those, he actually had more than one of those...he made some big saves when the score was 1-0, and a few more when it was 1-1.

All three goals were after defensive zone breakdowns where a King's player was basically left all alone in front of the net. I can't remember the last time a Canuck player had a breakaway or even a second in front of the opposition's goalie with a pass right on the stick and no other player in striking distance. I can't remember if it was 1-0 or 1-1 at the time, maybe it was even 2-1, Luo made that monster save with his blocker when (guess what) another King's player was allowed to skate in on his own, there's your save, now it's time to put the game away which the team wasn't able to do.
How many times have we watched our team jump on a puck following an opponent's breakdown, and the goaltender shuts the door? The answer is piles of times.

I'm not denying the body of work that Luongo did in that game, but really, when you look at the shot totals he was outplayed again by the other goaltender. Now some of that is because the Canucks forwards have their heads up their asses and can't finish right now, and while those 3 goals came from right in front of the net, they weren't exactly sniped. The tying goal in particular went 5-hole on him. Both of Chicago's goals in the previous game were 5-hole markers in the third period.

I'm not pinning this game on Luongo. Not at all. I'm just saying that he has to make a save on ONE of those three goals.