Chicago @ Vancouver 7:00 PM PT CBC,NHLN-US,WGN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Chicago @ Vancouver 7:00 PM PT CBC,NHLN-US,WGN

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The Brown Knight wrote:@Isle Knuck.

I know what you mean and see where you're coming from. I'd pretty much agree with you 1:1 if it wasn't forthe fact that Burrows IS getting so many damned chances......chances of which he is creating on his own much of the time.

Contrast this to someone like David Booth who is completely invisible out there when he does play.

I have confidence that Burrows will break out of his funk at some point. With Booth......not so much.
Booth is done here. That much is clear. The problem is where does Burrows fit going forward. If he's not going to play with the Sedins, and be a 25G guy, is he capable of being a second liner at 20G/25A year in and out? I have my doubts. Burrows has been a capable PK player, and he's scored some big goals for us. But if I was going to shift this core to a more offensive style Burrows would be the first to go. He's not talented enough on his own to be a premier player and he's not productive enough to anchor a second line. He's a highly paid tweener, and if he's not producing the Canucks are deeply fucked.

On an unrelated note, the Canucks once again show their mental deficiencies as a team. Not only was I confident in knowing that we'd somehow blow our lead heading into the 3rd, but they gave up the go ahead goal just 9 seconds later. As I've been saying since 2009 now.......this team's biggest problem, collectively, is between the ears.
Isn't this just an extension of Burrows not being capable as a 2nd liner? Squeezing the stick too tight? Trying too hard? Stanton made a bad pinch... that's all that happened on that second goal. There's no collective deficiency there. I don't buy your mental problems issue. We're simply not talented enough up front. We have the Sedins+. That's it. Guys that are supposed to be our second line (Kesler, Burrows etc.) are only effective when they get with the Sedins.

This team lacks offense. We're not good enough offensively. No mental problems, not a breakdown. We're just not scoring enough and we're not good enough to score.
Do you think it's just coincidence that this team has struggled with it's offense since the Boston series? I don't think so. Such a shame with this core. I hope they turn things around but it's going to be tough.
This team struggled DURING that Boston series. Injuries were an issue there. Lack of scoring was an issue. It's not a "mental toughness" thing, it's a roster problem. This team is not capable enough to score a lot of goals in the NHL.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Shit.. another 1 goal lead.. and another loss.. and I got to buy a round of drinks and listen to shit from a load of Leaf fans in the Swedes bar..Damm swede is too smart to bet on the Sedins against Chitown :(.. Back to bikini watching .. at least the bounces are all good ;)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

All the pitchforks seem to be taken.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
JonT21
CC Veteran

Post by JonT21 »

sagebrush wrote:All the pitchforks seem to be taken.
Just sit back and enjoy watching the train wreck that is happening not by the Canucks, but by the posters in this forum struggling to get a grip and to be able to relax and enjoy a game or two without any worries no matter the outcome.

It feels good to be at that point in life, must be something about being in the up and coming generation. Shit me and Bo Horvat are the same age!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

JonT21 wrote: It feels good to be at that point in life, must be something about being in the up and coming generation. Shit me and Bo Horvat are the same age!
Not even old enough to remember Pavel Bure in a Canucks jersey? Weird. Good Luck to you. The 2011 run could be the highlight of your young life!
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Island Canuck said:
We have the Sedins+. That's it. Guys that are supposed to be our second line (Kesler, Burrows etc.) are only effective when they get with the Sedins.

I was with you up until that statement.. Kesler line ( K 17 plus torres and Samuelsson was very effective in the 2011 playoff run.. and carried the team against the Preds.. Problem is we have no real replacements for Samuelsson or Torres and no real second line scoring threat..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I remember on the old CC during the '10-'11 season there were often comments about how the team played terrible but still won. I feel this team is giving consistent efforts on a nightly basis but something is just a little off or missing. This team feels close to a breakthrough but if it doesn't happen soon they are going to have to dig themselves out of one hell of a hole.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Kind of refreshing to read comments about this team that don't involve blaming Luongo for our recent losing streak. It frustrates me to no end when people are talking like Luongo is a problem on this team, despite the fact he hasn't lost in regulation a single game this year when the team has scored more than 1 goal. Problem is, the team has only scored 1 goal in a game 10 times this season which is shockingly bad.
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Luongo has been average - decent . He completely whiffed on the 2nd goal on Saturday night and cost his team at least a point.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Art Vandelay wrote:Luongo has been average - decent . He completely whiffed on the 2nd goal on Saturday night and cost his team at least a point.
And the entire team whiffed a dozen times on scoring chances.....cost their team 2 points.