GDT Oct 22 Canucks @ Islanders Snet-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: GDT Oct 22 Canucks @ Islanders Snet-P

Post by dbr »

herb wrote:Oh, anybody else think Nielsen's elbow to Kesler's head was the definition of a "blindside hit to the head"?
I need to see it again.

I watched the Isles feed with the sound off and didn't catch all of the game but I did see that hit.

My first take is that it looks an awful lot like so many of those hits everyone is up in arms about - player making a play for the puck, opposing player cuts into his path and gets a piece of his face/head.

It obviously was not a high speed collision and there were some other weird factors (I didn't think Kesler got "elbowed" but it did look like he was tripped up from behind) and on the Isles feed they slowed it down so much that it barely looked like a collision at all on the replay.

I guess my biggest takeaway is that I never have any inclination of what's going to be a penalty or why anymore. So good job NHL, I guess..
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Kesler needs to be our absolute best player for this team to go anywhere in my opinion. Him at wing to me feels very strange. Whats up with this?
Not sure, but I think Torts was trying to get something going offensively for the team and for Kesler. Don't forget that Burrows has been out.

Santorelli and Richardson have played at a much higher level than I think anybody expected, which has given the coaching staff flexibility in terms of being able to play those two more minutes at center.

I'd be surprised if the move to wing were a long term thing, but we'll see. Santorelli looks like a better play maker than Kesler...at this point anyway.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:
herb wrote:Oh, anybody else think Nielsen's elbow to Kesler's head was the definition of a "blindside hit to the head"?
I need to see it again.

I watched the Isles feed with the sound off and didn't catch all of the game but I did see that hit.

My first take is that it looks an awful lot like so many of those hits everyone is up in arms about - player making a play for the puck, opposing player cuts into his path and gets a piece of his face/head.

It obviously was not a high speed collision and there were some other weird factors (I didn't think Kesler got "elbowed" but it did look like he was tripped up from behind) and on the Isles feed they slowed it down so much that it barely looked like a collision at all on the replay.

I guess my biggest takeaway is that I never have any inclination of what's going to be a penalty or why anymore. So good job NHL, I guess..
I think it was no different than Edler on Hertl.