Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Post by BingoTough »

Per wrote: Mind you, AV is a great coach, but he seemed very reluctant to abandon plan A, even when it was clearly not working.
I think he was just always about the process. If you executed the process better than the opposition then you'd win, but yeah, my sense was always that he struggled when people figured him out and were able to consistently play the right counter to his strategies.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

BingoTough wrote:
Per wrote: Mind you, AV is a great coach, but he seemed very reluctant to abandon plan A, even when it was clearly not working.
I think he was just always about the process. If you executed the process better than the opposition then you'd win, but yeah, my sense was always that he struggled when people figured him out and were able to consistently play the right counter to his strategies.
One word can be used to describe AV, stubborn.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

herb wrote:
Gillis waiver wire pick-up Ryan Stanton actually looks like a NHL player and not just some guy none of us had ever heard of before (do we have pro scouts?).
Obviously very early but Stanton looks like the first big win for our pro scouts in some time.

It isn't easy finding D's that can come in and give you steady minutes and so far Stanton looks like a guy who can perhaps do that.

Weber and Alberts did not appear to be guys who could do it and eventually that would force the Canucks to bring up Corrado which not only is bad for his own development but poor roster management.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote: Obviously very early but Stanton looks like the first big win for our pro scouts in some time.
Yeah small sample size but looking good.

Many hardcore Hawk fans were somewhat pissed about losing him.

Obviously the Hawks thought they could sneak him down on waivers

You would think they'd rather take that risk with Brookbank/Kostka (older + impending UFAs).

I dunno, I guess if you've won 2 Cups in 4 years and looking for another

... you go with experience over the young guy? Image

Whatever the reason, Canucks had nothing to lose and everything to gain!

I'm not sure how it works and what the scenario was for other teams

... but you would think another team had a shot at him before us no?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Strangelove wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: Obviously very early but Stanton looks like the first big win for our pro scouts in some time.
Yeah small sample size but looking good.

Many hardcore Hawk fans were somewhat pissed about losing him.

Obviously the Hawks thought they could sneak him down on waivers

You would think they'd rather take that risk with Brookbank/Kostka (older + impending UFAs).

I dunno, I guess if you've won 2 Cups in 4 years and looking for another

... you go with experience over the young guy? Image

Whatever the reason, Canucks had nothing to lose and everything to gain!

I'm not sure how it works and what the scenario was for other teams

... but you would think another team had a shot at him before us no?
I assume, like most of us, the other 28 GMs have not seen or heard of Stanton before. Comparing his first three games at a Canuck against Alberts' last few games in the preseason, I would definitely take Stanton over Alberts. Stanton reminds me of Rome, except Stanton did not get the love from JT like Rome got from AV... :mrgreen:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote: I assume, like most of us, the other 28 GMs have not seen or heard of Stanton before.
Personally I hadn't heard of Stanton before, but GMs have scouts for these purposes.

Doing my own research after the fact, it seems he has been developing VERY nicely in the AHL

.... to the point where is now likely ready for a depth dee position in the NHL.

So yeah no, I was just wondering how many GMs had their hands tied as far as picking him up.

Doubtful anyone here knows... or wants to do the work involved in figuring it out.

Just "thinking out loud" as it were.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Strangelove wrote:
Jovocop wrote: I assume, like most of us, the other 28 GMs have not seen or heard of Stanton before.
Personally I hadn't heard of Stanton before, but GMs have scouts for these purposes.

Doing my own research after the fact, it seems he has been developing VERY nicely in the AHL

.... to the point where is now likely ready for a depth dee position in the NHL.

So yeah no, I was just wondering how many GMs had their hands tied as far as picking him up.

Doubtful anyone here knows... or wants to do the work involved in figuring it out.

Just "thinking out loud" as it were.
I am glad MG has his scouts doing their homework. Stanton, so far, seems to be a nice waiver pickup.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

It's very early on in Stanton's tenure here, but thus far he has been a breath of fresh air. He is looking like a really nice pick-up, and you can see why Chicago was disappointed that they lost him on waivers. At the time, picking up Stanton was a bit of a head scratcher, but really the 6 spot is his to lose at this point.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ah but wait until Kassian, Burrows and JS are back. That means we have to waive two players to get back to a 23 man roster. MG has shown a propensity for putting the wrong guys on waivers in the past. It will be interesting to see if he has the balls to waive Alberts and .......
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ah but wait until Kassian, Burrows and JS are back. That means we have to waive two players to get back to a 23 man roster. MG has shown a propensity for putting the wrong guys on waivers in the past. It will be interesting to see if he has the balls to waive Alberts and .......
We only need to send down one, and that one should be Dalpe. This is of course assuming we are healthy.

Dank-Hank-Burrows
Kassian-Kesler-Booth
Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen
Schroeder-Richardson-Weise
Sestito

Edler-Garrison
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Stanton-Tanev
Alberts-Weber

Luongo
Lack

Edit: Torts was ranting and raving about Stanton's play in his post game presser last night.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

herb wrote: We only need to send down one, and that one should be Dalpe. This is of course assuming we are healthy.
I dont think Dalpe is waiver exempt and we just gave up a 4th for him, so he won't be getting sent down.

Gotta be Alberts, and given how he's played I doubt anyone picks him up.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Potatoe1 wrote:Gotta be Alberts, and given how he's played I doubt anyone picks him up.
Ahh, I didn't know Dalpe is subject to waivers. In that case, you may be right. I agree Alberts would likely not be picked up.

In any event, we'll only need to send one guy down.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Only needing to send one down works. It should be Dalpe but you are right, we gave up a 4th to get him we won't risk losing him on waivers and yes Torts has been singing Stanton praises. Alberta's to me or Weber are the likely candidates. Neither would be a massive loss if they were picked up on waivers.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

tantalum wrote:I don't think Hamhuis is in the doghouse. i think he's hurt and it is likely a groin injury. This goes back to cap when he missed practices and games. If you look at his mistakes, while they look horrendous they all seem to have one thing in common...being a split second too slow. He's a guy who looks like he doesn't have his normal acceleration and hasn't figured out how to adjust his play accordingly.
Maybe....

While I know that a groin injury that throws off your skating can have farther reaching effects on a player's overall game, Hamhuis has been just brutal. His passing has been poor, his puck handling way subpar, everything has been off. More than can be attributed just to a lower body injury.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Only needing to send one down works. It should be Dalpe but you are right, we gave up a 4th to get him we won't risk losing him on waivers and yes Torts has been singing Stanton praises. Alberta's to me or Weber are the likely candidates. Neither would be a massive loss if they were picked up on waivers.
It should be Alberts. Weber doesn't hurt the team with bad penalties. He's not as strong or imposing, but he can move the puck and slot in at forward when absolutely necessary.