HNIC may leave CBC :)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1230
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by BigTuna » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Meds wrote:
BigTuna wrote:It's funny hearing so many of you claim TSN or Sportsnet will be better than CBC when TSn and Sportsnet just bought the Leaves :D

CBC isn't biased for the Leaves at all. They just show them the most because the Leaves generate by far the most commercial revenue. Do you honestly think any network won't show it's #1 draw the most?
You're kidding right? We were still hearing about Phil Kessel's first round performance in the conference finals.
Phil Kessel has been the most crapped-on NHl player the last 3 years. It's ridiculous how underrated he is. The Toronto media hates him.

CBC has shit on Kessel so much.

CBC loves the money the Leaves make for them. That's it.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7931
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:01 pm

BigTuna wrote: CBC loves the money the Leaves make for them. That's it.

Image

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17356
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by Strangelove » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
BigTuna wrote: CBC loves the money the Leaves make for them. That's it.

Image
Kadri had just scored a hat trick against Ottawa.

After that obscenity he would go on to score just one goal (again vs Ottawa) in the next 18 games.

"Vengeance is ours" sayeth the Hockey Gods. :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1230
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by BigTuna » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
BigTuna wrote: CBC loves the money the Leaves make for them. That's it.

Image
That one second doesn't take away from the constant Leaf Bashing that occurs.

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8374
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by rats19 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:50 am

Boo fricken Hoo...BT
You are who you hang with.....

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1230
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by BigTuna » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 am

Point is CBC shows the Leaves the most because they are the most popular team, not because they love them. There's plenty of Leaf bashing. Try listening sometime.

Every network will show the Leaves the most.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7931
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:25 am

BigTuna wrote:Point is CBC shows the Leaves the most because they are the most popular team, not because they love them. There's plenty of Leaf bashing. Try listening sometime.

Every network will show the Leaves the most.
And you wonder why other teams' fans don't like that? For a decade the Leaves have been an inferior team on the ice, yet get the most airplay because their fan base is the largest. Most hockey fans in Canada would prefer to watch better teams play hockey.

If you constantly show a shitty product, people will give you grief for it.

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1230
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by BigTuna » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:30 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
BigTuna wrote:Point is CBC shows the Leaves the most because they are the most popular team, not because they love them. There's plenty of Leaf bashing. Try listening sometime.

Every network will show the Leaves the most.
And you wonder why other teams' fans don't like that? For a decade the Leaves have been an inferior team on the ice, yet get the most airplay because their fan base is the largest. Most hockey fans in Canada would prefer to watch better teams play hockey.

If you constantly show a shitty product, people will give you grief for it.
That's the way every network works though. It will never change The Leaves could be 30th and still get terrific ratings.

Hardly makes CBC unique.

User avatar
herb
CC Legend
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by herb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:11 am

Obviously the Leaves are on TV because they are the most popular team in Canada. To suggest otherwise is silly. Ontario is the biggest province, and the Leaves have a lot of followers in the rest of Canada due to old allegiances from when they were the only Anglo NHL team in Canada for decades.

The easy comparable is the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys, who play in prime time nearly every week. Like the Cowboys, the Leaves are overrated every year by their fans and the media, and fans of other teams are tired of having the Cowboys/Leaves stuffed down their throats every week.

Personally, I don’t really give a shit about Tony Romo or Phil Kessel, and am happy to see Jerry Jones and Dave Nonis continue to demonstrate shitty decision making.

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8374
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by rats19 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:25 am

decent
You are who you hang with.....

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17356
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by Strangelove » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:44 pm

I love watching the Leaves play.

I cheer for them to be publicly humiliated.

When that happens I look for the reaction of CBC broadcasters.

No one hates the Leaves more than the Great Strangelove.

NO ONE.

The Leaves have brought yours truly a great deal of joy over the years...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1230
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by BigTuna » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:38 pm

herb wrote:Obviously the Leaves are on TV because they are the most popular team in Canada. To suggest otherwise is silly. Ontario is the biggest province, and the Leaves have a lot of followers in the rest of Canada due to old allegiances from when they were the only Anglo NHL team in Canada for decades.

The easy comparable is the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys, who play in prime time nearly every week. Like the Cowboys, the Leaves are overrated every year by their fans and the media, and fans of other teams are tired of having the Cowboys/Leaves stuffed down their throats every week.

Personally, I don’t really give a shit about Tony Romo or Phil Kessel, and am happy to see Jerry Jones and Dave Nonis continue to demonstrate shitty decision making.
Well, the media picks them to be terrible every year. I wouldn't say any of the media overrates them. Phil Kessel is the 4th leading scorer in the NHl the last two years playing with Bozak and he barely cracked The Hockey News top 50 players.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11048
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:19 pm

BigTuna wrote: Well, the media picks them to be terrible every year. I wouldn't say any of the media overrates them. Phil Kessel is the 4th leading scorer in the NHl the last two years playing with Bozak and he barely cracked The Hockey News top 50 players.
So the media is right 9 /10 times then. Seeing as it's a real 82 game season coming up the Leaves will likely fall apart around game 60 when the games get tougher. Kessel is a one dimensional player with yellow teeth and one ball. He is rated where he should be. Top 40 at best.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1727
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by ESQ » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:59 pm

herb wrote: The easy comparable is the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys, who play in prime time nearly every week. Like the Cowboys, the Leaves are overrated every year by their fans and the media, and fans of other teams are tired of having the Cowboys/Leaves stuffed down their throats every week.
Dallas gets 1 Monday Night Football game a year, and 3 Sunday Night games. That's 4 weeks out of 16.

This year, you have to wait until December 28 for a HNIC with no Leaves. There are 3 weeks all year with no Leaves on HNIC Saturday.

I'm firmly of the belief that its better for the game to showcase the best teams, and not cater to the sheeple in Leaves Nation. Yes, the Leaves have probably the most blindly loyal fanbase in the NHL, if not North America. No, that blind loyal and shitty taste in hockey should not be rewarded.

The NFL, in spite of the Cowboys games, actually does a far better job of putting low-revenue but high-performing teams in national games - like the Saints, Packers, Seahawks, etc., who get equal billing with the Cowboys on Monday Night games. Not surprisingly, the NFL is the biggest sports league in North America.

hist
CC Rookie
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:08 pm

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by hist » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 am

ESQ wrote: This year, you have to wait until December 28 for a HNIC with no Leaves. There are 3 weeks all year with no Leaves on HNIC Saturday.
One thing I've noticed over the last few years is the number of times that the Leaves are not the national game, though. I remember when there was no way we'd see a non-Leaf game unless the Canucks were playing Ottawa or Montreal or something.

Now, there are actual weeks where we see the Senators or the Canadiens and only those in Ontario see the Leaves.

So it has changed as the Leaves have tanked.

Just not as much as we would like.

Post Reply