Would You Do It? Better Question: Would They?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Would You Do It? Better Question: Would They?

Post by Meds »

I was sitting around bored with most of the "Summit" presser from last night, but got caught up pondering some crazy possibilities after Gillis said that the Canucks actually have a bit more cap room than most people think. So I got into armchair GM mode and one move my brain came up with really had me thinking.....

To St. Louis:
Edler ($5M)
Tanev (RFA)
Corrado ($600K)
Higgins ($2.5M)
2R Pick

To Vancouver:
Pietrangelo (RFA)
Polak ($2.75M)
Cracknell ($600K)

St. Louis has been a team operating under some pretty tight payroll restrictions over the last several seasons. When you look at the salaries recently handed out I think it is safe to assume that Pietrangleo will be within his rights to expect money that approaches the $6+M cap hit range. Personally, I think he's a better player than Letang, and look what Letang got in Pittsburgh. The Blues are already paying $6.8M to Bouwmeester this year, and they just gave Shattenkirk a raise, I think it's safe to say that their ownership is not going to want to commit more than $5M to another blueline spot, especially long-term.

So why not pitch an offer like this to the Blues? It gives them 2 young defensemen who are both pegged as having at least top 6 potential, if not top 4. It gives them a top 3 (some would argue top 2) defenseman who many argue still has upside and is a much sought after asset. And a solid 3rd line forward with scoring touch who can contribute in a top 6 role when called upon.

In all likelihood the Blues could sign Tanev to something along the lines of $2M per year, and with Corrado's salary, they would have 3 defensemen for probably only $1M more than what Pietrangelo will be asking for. Most teams would not do this deal because having the option to lock up a guy like Pietrangelo to a long-term deal is something many GM's would kill for. But the finances in St. Louis make this difficult. Their highest paid player is Jay Bouwmeester at $6.8M, but he's only got one year left on his contract, after him Backes tops the team at $4.5M, and nobody is signed beyond 4 years. They will have LOADS of cap space next year, but again, their ownership has been disinclined to commit big dollars over term. A deal like this would make Edler their highest paid player beyond this coming season, but not by much, and if he is the "bargain" that so many people think he is, then ownership/management in St. Louis would probably be OK with his 6 year term.

Vancouver then ends up with roughly $10.35M in cap space, and has to fill in 3 roster spots, maybe 4. If MG could sign Pietrangelo to something that pays him a cap hit of $6.5M, then he has just under $4M to sign a bottom pairing defenseman, and a 3rd line winger. With this new philosophy of having younger players on the roster, I think that is a very doable thing.

In all honesty, I don't think anyone would argue with me when I say the Canucks make out like gangbusters in a deal like this, I would imagine that even the Blues would think so, but when the ledger speaks louder than the on-ice product things happen that benefit the team willing to put up the cash.

And who would be upset about a line up that looked like.....

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Cracknell - Richardson - Hansen
Sestito - Lain - Weise

Garrison - Pietrangelo
Hamhuis - Bieksa
_______ - Polak
Weber

Luongo
Lack

Obviously this is a pipe dream, but it's always fun to consider the possibilities.

:P
Topper
CC Legend

Re: Would You Do It? Better Question: Would They?

Post by Topper »

Mëds off Mëds has it's own thread?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:Mëds off Mëds has it's own thread?
He's on Cracknell.

LOL no offense Mëds but your mega-trade summer fantasizing reminds me of our old pal GM. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Farhan's little brother?
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I saw the name Pietrangelo, laughed and stopped reading.

Sometimes less is more Mëds, less is more!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P