The Glass is Half Empty....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: The Glass is Half Empty....

Post by Tciso »

While I know it is more fun to talk about the posters who have already S*@t the bed, and are busy rolling in it, just thought I;'d mention that Schroeder and Weise have re-upped for this season. We still have $4.3million in cap room left, and really, only Tanev to sign. GMMG hasn't done all that bad.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Tciso wrote: GMMG hasn't done all that bad.
What's he done exactly?

Qualify a few RFAs ( a monkey could do that, they're all players with no leverage), sign a small fourth liner and a tiny #7/8 defenseman, and trade our MVP for a barely top ten pick.

He's done absolutey nothing to address the issues that have gotten us completey destroyed in the playoffs, he's angered our starting goaltender, and he's kept a core that has looked soft and entitled completely intact. No trades to aquire a third-line center (Schroeder lol) or a top-six forward and no size or toughness added to the roster.

He's hired a coach known for alienating players and playing a defensive system, despite the fact that our lack of an offensive forecheck was clearly a huge problem last season. The summer isn't over but it certainly doesn't sound like he plans on making any major moves.

Oh yeah and then there's the part where he completely bungled the Schneider/Luongo situation.

The best thing he's done is use the #9 pick on Horvat and make a couple other nice-looking picks, but his scouting staff are the ones who most likely made those calls.

For the record I was a big Gillis fan until early 2012 and think he made some great moves. But since then it's been a series of bad decisions and questionable trades. The worst trades he's made are IMO the ones that never happened... this core needs a shake-up and has proven itself not worth taking another run with, and yet it sounds like that's exactly what he plans to do (unless he's full of shit and I hope he is).

New coaches don't make soft players suddenly play like they're hard... especially players in their thirties. You guys are dreaming if you think Torts alone is going to magically transform us into an adept and rugged playoff-style team.

If he can lock up the twins for a few years at 5 mill a season, that would be a nice move... but really he hasn't done anything an objective fan should be in any way excited about.

Then again it's pretty obvious that tomatoface could shit in a bowl and some of you twits would scarf down a big spoonful and call it chocolate sherbet. :lol:
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote:"Real" hookers wear crotchless, or go commando, so your point is totally moot.

And you just outed yourself as only getting the cheap hookers that take hash as payment.

:p
Does anyone else actually cringe when Mëds tries to make a funny?

:lol:

Where are these cheap hash-smoking hookers located exactly?*

Just stahp, Mëds. Find a weight class that suits you and try a few swings out there. Tell you what, I'll get Skyo ready and you guys can go a few rounds.** Just make sure you wear your headgear... it's VERY important you wear your headgear at all times.

*rhetorical -- for the love of god don't answer

**immediately places large wager on Skyo by KO
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Mëds wrote:"Real" hookers wear crotchless, or go commando, so your point is totally moot.

And you just outed yourself as only getting the cheap hookers that take hash as payment.

Just stahp, Mëds. Find a weight class that suits you and try a few swings out there. Tell you what, I'll get Skyo ready and you guys can go a few rounds.** Just make sure you wear your headgear... it's VERY important you wear your headgear at all times.

Now don't go and drag me into this, I'm a glass is half full kinda guy, plus the hookers I get are already dead.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

SKYO wrote:Now don't go and drag me into this, I'm a glass is half full kinda guy, plus the hookers I get are already dead.
LOFL!!!

See Mëds, that's how it's done.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

Now don't go and drag me into this, I'm a glass is half full kinda guy, plus the hookers I get are already dead.
Highway of Tears
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote:

Weight class?

You measure your dick for real here eh.....

Poor bastard.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Tciso wrote: GMMG hasn't done all that bad.
You guys are dreaming if you think Torts alone is going to magically transform us into an adept and rugged playoff-style team.
Then again it's pretty obvious that tomatoface could shit in a bowl and some of you twits would scarf down a big spoonful and call it chocolate sherbet. :lol:
I don't believe Tortorella is magically transforming us into an adept and rugged playoff-style team ... what I do think is Torts will so is get more out of players that AV couldn't. I'm looking at Booth, Kassian, Edler and Garrison right now. Will other players that flourished or possibly overachieved under AV (Hansen, Bieksa, Burrows, etc) suffer because of the coaching change?

I still can't say I'm not excited about the Torts hiring. If you look at it ... it was a bold move. AV and Bones were just as much a part of the core of this team as a lot of the players. Huge change IMO.

Takes another spoonful of chocolate sherbert, licks lips and hits submit
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

What does it say about the players that they needed the coach to be fired and a tougher one hired to play better?

MG had a chance to make a real bold move but he didn't and this season will be no different that the past 2.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

eye four won am not happy with whats going on...but its my team and happy or sad good or bad its my team..i dont see the point in ragging on and on adnaseum about the bad trades the players under performing the goalie controversy...blah blah blah..

not happy does not equal abandoning ship..thats for dipshits!!!

and if you are not abandoning ship...then you are whining..

Spocks OP was neither by the way
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mondi wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Mondi wrote:
Mondi's babble.....

But, I'm glad you're relying on a team that got fucking punted from the first round in 4 games, and has one 1 of its last 12 playoff games. And one may argue, or agree, that the team now is worse on paper than those two teams.

the rest of Mondi's babble.....

Can't say many people should take seriously the doom and gloom opinion of a guy who doesn't know the difference between "one" and "won".....

:look:
When the typo police come out there is only one inference to be drawn, you have nothing left to say that is relevant to the discussion.

Normally, I will avoid ad hominem attacks on these boards but you sir are an idiot. Disagreeing with me is one thing, but don't bother with spelling mistake nonsense.

Now please sir, go back to defending a team with one playoff win in two seasons, and one playoff win in their last 12 starts. Please defend a team whose GM traded away their MVP for a draft pick. Defend at team whose number one net-minder hasn't spoken publicly about the trade of their former number that occurred one month ago. Please defend a team that is touting David Booth as a legitimate second line player on a "contender". Defend a team whose GM has made precisely one good play personnel move since 2011 (Garrison), and a number of terrible ones along with a few where the jury is still out. Defend a team that is seriously looking at having J. Schroeder as its 3L centre this NHL season. Defend a team where their has been a goaltending saga since at least spring 2012, which shows zero signs of abating. And the list goes on...I won't even get into the rumoured drama around two of the team's more immature players.

Good ship Canuck has gone from the best team in the league in 2011 to a mediocre team in 2013 and trending down.

But, yes. Everything is fine and people who are predicting an off season for the Canucks are stupid because they don't know for sure. Obviously we don't know for sure. Its a fansite, people bullshit around ideas that's the point.
What's funniest about all of this is that if Mëds wanted to pointlessly quibble about a genuine error as opposed to a meaningless typo he could have pointed out the Canucks have actually won two of their last twelve playoff games.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

If I could just restate what I said the other day, my take on the upcoming season is basically, right now on paper we are looking at a team of something like this:

Forwards
  • Daniel
  • Henrik
  • Burrows
  • Kesler
  • Booth
  • Higgins
  • Hansen
  • Kassian
  • Weise
  • Richardson
  • Three of: Mike Santorelli, Jordan Schroeder, Tom Sestito, Brendan Gaunce, Bo Horvat, Darren Archibald, Kellen Lain, maybe someone else
I don't think that's a huge downgrade from the forward group we saw most nights last year (12 most GP among Canuck forwards by ascending order of uselessness: Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Hansen, Raymond, Higgins, Kassian, Lapierre, Schroeder, Weise, Ebbett, Sestito)

Will the Canucks get a similar rash of injuries/forced retirements/etc and have to go that far down their depth chart again? Maybe. Then again maybe it will be like 2010-11 and they'll have 10 guys play 70 games or more with another getting into 60.. that kind of stability would make a huge difference up front.

On defence I'm not at all worried about the downgrade from Keith Ballard to (I assume) Yannick Weber although I think we've got another veteran signing coming.

The biggest downgrade by far is in net where we're going to see Lack or Eriksson start ~20 games for this team, they are complete unknowns so that could be a huge risk.

But honestly to me the lamenting and all of that is incredibly premature. This team is not in a great spot by any means but it's not even close to a sure thing they'll be a worse group on most nights than some of the lineups we had to sit through this past season.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mondi wrote:Touche, but is one out of 10 anything to brag about?
I don't wish to argue with you about your opinion. Based on the fact that I don't think "everything is fine and people who are predicting an off season for the Canucks are stupid because they don't know for sure" there's probably not much point anyway. ;)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Mondi wrote:I'll agree with that, still a fan. Just not a blind faith kinda guy.
its not even about blind faith mondiroo...its more about "sitting in the backseat while someone else is driving and still enjoying the ride however hectic it may be"

To me I look for the positives and not the negatives it has nothing to do whatsoever with blind faith. IMO
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Mondi wrote:Not asking for you to engage, just responding to the people (HOMERS) around here that refuse to admit the team is backsliding.

I put this question to anyone out there: Have the last 25 months in Canuck's history been an example of strong management of an NHL hockey club?
make it so...................lol

In answer to your question...To me..no it hasnt. now what?