The Glass is Half Empty....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: The Glass is Half Empty....

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:Until Tanev is signed I don't see MG doing anything else.
From the way GMMG spoke in his state of the union meeting with season ticket holders, that was a done deal. Why it hasn't been announced yet?????

He also said he wasn't going to pick up any vets as that would take away from spots for the kids. He said lineup is done with the signings, including Tanev, with roster spots open to the kids. Had a belief, how strong?, that BoHo may make the roster.

I summarized it here
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

GMMG is definitely gonna pick up at least one more dee IMPO.

Two, if Corrado is to play mostly in the AHL.

Can't really see any of the other kids ready to challenge for a spot on dee.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Strangelove wrote:GMMG is definitely gonna pick up at least one more dee IMPO.

Two, if Corrado is to play mostly in the AHL.

Can't really see any of the other kids ready to challenge for a spot on dee.
I believe that "the Canucks are kicking tires on Fistric" http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... um=twitter
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

If we're going to get a sob D-man, I wouldn't mind just getting the orignal SOB back, Shane O'Brien. :P

My Fave SOB moment:

& gotta luv the face at the end of this clip, now that is a hockey player. :lol:

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:If we're going to get a sob D-man, I wouldn't mind just getting the orignal SOB back, Shane O'Brien. :P

My Fave SOB moment:

& gotta luv the face at the end of this clip, now that is a hockey player. :lol:

Yeah but....
He sucks
If you need air...call it in
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:If we're going to get a sob D-man, I wouldn't mind just getting the orignal SOB back, Shane O'Brien. :P
Do you own the Roxy?? ;)
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The way I view the Rummifications of this season is that 10 playoff wins would be a success. Let's face it, we make the third round about as often as Spidey makes a great hockey post... less than once a decade.

More than 10 and less than 16 would be a massive success, but would also be accompanied by the heartbreak of getting close and losing again.

Less than 10 and more than 5 would be disappointing but also an improvement. I guess. :)

5 or less would be earth-shattering disappointment, and the worst part of all is that vic would have to blame it on someone other than AV.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Without a testicular upgrade to the top 6 this team is treading water.

Kesler...can only do so much on his own.

Sedins.... cant see them ever again matching their previous career year numbers

Burrows...see above

Higgins? Better suited to the 3rd line IMHO

Booth...a career year would be absolutely huge

Kassian...see above although by no means has he earned or secured a 2nd line spot

So as far as I can see, this season essentially hinges on a huge breakout by ZK and a massive year by BOOTHY to make any noise from game 83 on. UNLESS they can swing a deal to change the top 6 dynamic via trade.

With a new coaching style, a healthy 2nd line, a commitment by the defense and Luongo playing lights out...this team can still make some noise.

But...the Sedins and Burrows are starting to show signs of decline, Kesler and Booth can't seem to stay healthy, the coach has a habit of getting tuned out, a tougher division, the defense has been absolute shite of late and how Luongo will play is a total mystery.

To me this year is extremely difficult to predict how good(or bad)the Canucks will be. So many variables but at least there's some guys coming through the pipe to give us hope should the team bomb again. Shouldn't be boring...at the very least.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Sedins have always been more productive when they have strong secondary support. If that is not there then the Sedins can get shut down. They have never really been the players to carry the team on their back. But I'm not worried about the top line, whether its Burrows or Kassian or whomever plays with the Sedins.

I'm more concerned about the durability and production from a strong second line. That will be the key to us having a good year and a deep playoff run. If we get that then the Sedins will get more room out there.

Kesler's health, Booth's health and productivity are key but so too is JS. This is the year he has a spot on the team ready for the taking. All he has to do is step up and take it. He may be better suited for the second line. One of his strengths is passing and distributing the puck, to go along with his blazing speed. He had some chemistry with Kassian as well. I'd love to see Kassian/JS/Booth on the second line.

I really advocate putting Kesler on RW or back to the third line. He will still get a ton of playing time and still match up against the oppositions best. He can still be very productive.

Time will tell.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote: I really advocate putting Kesler on RW or back to the third line. He will still get a ton of playing time and still match up against the oppositions best. He can still be very productive.
Would really like to see a playmaking style winger to compliment Kesler rather than Higgins and Hansen.

As far as Schroeder goes...I feel he just isn't good enough to match up to NHL centres. He is quick but not blazing fast. He can shoot but doesn't seem to have that hard of a shot. His size is an obvious issue.

My feeling is that the team will never win when it matters with JS playing centre for the Canucks
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Booth is gonna have to do more than just getting healthy. When healthy, he's been shite since he arrived, nothing more, nothing less.

We are at the tail end with this group and years of elite hockey, the Sedins are slipping as they become grey beards, a new quick fix coach, whom after the honeymoon is over will only be able to do so much with the Sedins game on the slide. Don't have enough 'special' talent in the system to lead the way for the next group. We need more than just Horvat. A lot more.

Expect some rough years in that .500 hockey area in about 2-3 years.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote: So as far as I can see, this season essentially hinges on a huge breakout by ZK and a massive year by BOOTHY to make any noise from game 83 on. UNLESS they can swing a deal to change the top 6 dynamic via trade.
Yeah, but with 5 of our top 6 forwards (4 if you count Higgins as a third liner) holding NTC's it's not an easy thing for Gillis to make happen.
Uncle dans leg wrote: To me this year is extremely difficult to predict how good(or bad)the Canucks will be. So many variables but at least there's some guys coming through the pipe to give us hope should the team bomb again. Shouldn't be boring...at the very least.
Pretty much, and regardless of one's opinion of the Schneider trade, having Cory here wouldn't make that much of a difference.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote:My feeling is that the team will never win when it matters with JS playing centre for the Canucks
Gary Lupul syndrome.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The only real hopes I have for the 2014 season is that there are some youngsters that should improve over what they provided last year (Kassian, Schroder, Tanev, Corrado), there is some hope for internal improvement from a handful of veterans who had ‘off’ seasons (Kesler, Booth, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa) and Gillis’ drafting seems to be improving. For a change, training camp should actually be interesting.

Other than that, this roster has holes, is ageing and is going to be right in the thick of things in a tough division, which has the potential to be good or bad depending on whether or not guys can rise to the challenge. Banking on the Sedins, Kesler and Luongo putting up career seasons is wishful thinking to say the least, so the success or failure of this team really rests on the shoulders of guys like Booth, Kassian, Garrison, Edler and Schroeder, which isn’t really all the confidence inspiring to be perfectly honest. I think Garrison is capable of producing more, but I’m much less confident about the others.

To be an elite team, we’re going to need a 30/30 season from Booth, a 20/20 season from Kassian, a 10/40 season from Edler, a 15/30 season from Garrison and a massive improvement over what we saw from Schroeder in 2013. This is on top of PPG seasons from the Sedins, 30 goals from Burrows, 40+ wins from Luongo, a 30/40 season from Kesler and competent performances from the 4th line and 3rd defensive pairing.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:My feeling is that the team will never win when it matters with JS playing centre for the Canucks
Gary Lupul syndrome.
If Schroeder could or would drop the gloves like Gary I might change my tune