Handling the Prospects Correctly

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Handling the Prospects Correctly

Post by Benjo »

Diehard1 wrote:
I agree the division will be better, how much better remains to be seen. The Ducks just lost Bobby Ryan and replaced him with Jacob Silfverberg, that's a downgrade. They have an ancient Selanne and Koivu as their secondary scoring, and Selanne may not come back. I have a really hard time seeing them as better than last year, in fact I think they are worse. They got smoked in the first round as well, but that only seems to count when it happens to the Canucks.
I could be wrong but I think Etem will be ready this upcoming season to replace Ryan. He had a slow year in his first year pro last season but the guy score 60+ goals for the Tigers. I'm not sure how Silfverberg's development stacks up but I do believe Etem has the edge.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Potatoe1 wrote: Fingers crossed Kassian can play in the top6, Kassian and Booth are probably the diference between the Canucks being a good team and a bubble team this year.
I think that's a fair point. Those two are 1/3 of the Top 6 forwards, so a down here from them and the Canucks are hooped. I expect Higgins and Hansen will be good for spot duty on the top 2 lines, and will be productive there for short stretches, but I would hate to see them spend a whole year in Top 6 positions, either due to injury or poor play from Booth and Kassian.

As for the Detroit Model, it is more apparent than ever this season that their model is to hire ancient vets to fill gaps. The Canucks don't have the luxury of picking up an Alfie in free agency, so I don't know that the Detroit Model can really apply here.

After CoHo I'm not so hot on players going through the junior season again, with all the extra tournaments. That seems to be a far more brutal grind than people realize. I think its best for physically undeveloped players to get more time to grow and pack on muscle, but it seems to be marginally beneficial for Big Boys like Horvat to continue pounding on small kids in Junior for 120 games in 9 months.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

ESQ wrote: After CoHo I'm not so hot on players going through the junior season again, with all the extra tournaments. That seems to be a far more brutal grind than people realize. I think its best for physically undeveloped players to get more time to grow and pack on muscle, but it seems to be marginally beneficial for Big Boys like Horvat to continue pounding on small kids in Junior for 120 games in 9 months.
That's an interesting point.

I've heard some NHL people talk about this to the media and it really depends on the player.

Over the weekend I came across Dale Hunter's interview with the local radio guys and boy does Dale love Horvat. When asked if he could step in next season, Hunter didn't dismiss it and said it wouldn't surprise him since Horvat will be going into camp with the mindset of making the team.

He also compared Horvat to Patrice Bergeron and he really meant it. He also repeated how he doesn't make those types of comparisons lightly.

Gillis has at the very least paid lip-service to how Horvat and Shinkaruk will push to make the team in the fall but unless GMMG adds a third line centre between now and training camp they will have a shot to do so.

I wouldn't expect either to make the team but right now it looks like they will at least get a fair shot.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Gaunce, Horvat, and Shinkaruk all on the Canadian junior team... It really will seem like Christmas if that happens.

I mean its one thing to have a few kids sprinkled around the other national teams as we usually do if we're lucky. But to have three wearing the maple leaf? Fucking awesome
Right on man, that would ease the pain & humiliation of the pure suckage we would see with Canuck-One's lineup!

That and the prospect of a lottery pick of course. :thumbs:

Merry Fucking Christmas!!! :evil: :santa: :evil:
When did this team go from a 5 time repeat division winner to a lottery team? I'm assuming they lost a lot of players? Schneids and Lu is a lateral move, the rest of the team is still here. I really don't understand the sentiment that they suck all of a sudden, unless the losses of Raymond and Lappy are much worse than they seem to be.
When did this team go from a 5 time repeat division winner to a lottery team?

ANSWER: Last season when just 2 less wins would’ve made them a lottery team. Image

BTW they've lost a lot more than the 3 players you mention over the 5 year period you mention.

Some of those players include Sundin, Demitra, Ohlund, Mitchell, Salo, Ehrhoff...

... Manny when he was arguably the best 3rd-liner in the business

... Sammy when he brought some excellent secondary scoring.

Half of those guys also brought serious grit along with big ice-time capability.

Speaking of grit... or lack thereof... CanuckOne`s lineup has me missing Rome, Alberts, and SOB. :shock:

CanuckOne`s defence is soft as butter and questionable as a group.

Now look at that Top 6.

LOOK AT IT!!! :evil:

For a coupla years now, production has been steadily dropping for 5 of those 6 chaps.

... and the 6th has yet to establish himself as an NHL top sixer. :roll:

Now..... look at that bottom 6!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

4 of `em are fringe NHLers and only 1 would drop his gloves if his life depended upon it.

... and fringer Sestito is the spare! Image

Listen muchacho, since you INSIST on comparing last season to next season:

Just the drop from Schneids to Lack could be enough to turn your Vancouver Canucks into a lottery team!

Ummmmmm.... are you thinking about that?

ARE YOU??!!! :evil:

On the bright side, our prospect pool is better than ever and likely to improve even more. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:When did this team go from a 5 time repeat division winner to a lottery team? I'm assuming they lost a lot of players? Schneids and Lu is a lateral move, the rest of the team is still here. I really don't understand the sentiment that they suck all of a sudden, unless the losses of Raymond and Lappy are much worse than they seem to be.
When did this team go from a 5 time repeat division winner to a lottery team?

ANSWER: Last season when just 2 less wins would’ve made them a lottery team. Image

BTW they've lost a lot more than the 3 players you mention over the 5 year period you mention.

Some of those players include Sundin, Demitra, Ohlund, Mitchell, Salo, Ehrhoff...

... Manny when he was arguably the best 3rd-liner in the business

... Sammy when he brought some excellent secondary scoring.

Half of those guys also brought serious grit along with big ice-time capability.

Speaking of grit... or lack thereof... CanuckOne`s lineup has me missing Rome, Alberts, and SOB. :shock:

CanuckOne`s defence is soft as butter and questionable as a group.

Now look at that Top 6.

LOOK AT IT!!! :evil:

For a coupla years now, production has been steadily dropping for 5 of those 6 chaps.

... and the 6th has yet to establish himself as an NHL top sixer. :roll:

Now..... look at that bottom 6!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

4 of `em are fringe NHLers and only 1 would drop his gloves if his life depended upon it.

... and fringer Sestito is the spare! Image

Listen muchacho, since you INSIST on comparing last season to next season:

Just the drop from Schneids to Lack could be enough to turn your Vancouver Canucks into a lottery team!

Ummm.... are you thinking about that?

ARE YOU??!!! :evil:

On the bright side, our prospect pool is better than ever and likely to improve even more. :thumbs:
Yup. Get ready for the ebb years now cause the flow has definitely left the building.

It's almost looking like GMMG has resigned to try and sneak a rebuild past us....except he seems to lack the forethought to actually conceive and implement such a shrewd plan. About the only thing going for us now in Canuck land is the young guys we've drafted the past 2 years

I've lost a significant amount of faith in our feckless leader. We needed some bigger bodies to round out the current group and all we come up with are more wimpy fringers to suck like last year...if we're lucky

Might as well make Schroeder and Raymond regulars on the 3rd line and really throw away the season...oh wait, that was last year
If you need air...call it in
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote: Who knows who will be made available - but with McDavid, possibly MacKinnon, Monahan, and Sam Reinhart to compete with, I don't see both Horvat and Gaunce getting a spot... however I believe Shinkaruk stands a better chance with more slots at wing.

S_C
You'd have to think one or possibly both of MacKinnon and Monahan will be playing in the NHL this season.

I also believe both Horvat and Gaunce can play wing as well. Gaunce may be Canada's ideal third line centre though, he's shown he can match up against other teams best and play a strong defensive game.

We'll see, but I think it's a pretty outside shot that all three make the team but 1 or 2 of them should be there you'd have to think.
I believe Gaunce moved from center to wing, half way through last season. Interesting to note his numbers improved dramatically through the back half of the year as well.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Potatoe1 wrote:I believe Gaunce moved from center to wing, half way through last season. Interesting to note his numbers improved dramatically through the back half of the year as well.
That was after Belleville acquired Tyler Graovac at the deadline - Gaunce shifted to LW.

I don't think it casts any long term projections on whether he will be an NHL center or wing - I still have hopes that he could be a Joel Otto type center...

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Yup. Get ready for the ebb years now cause the flow has definitely left the building.
Soooo when we're mathematically eliminated at the deadline

.... trade the twins for futures? :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Southern_Canuck wrote: I don't think it casts any long term projections on whether he will be an NHL center or wing - I still have hopes that he could be a Joel Otto type center...
We agree on that, my point was more that he is not just a center who can play wing, but a guy who can be very good in both spots.

Given the WJC roster invites I expect to see Gaunce as a 3/4 LW.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: Yup. Get ready for the ebb years now cause the flow has definitely left the building.
Soooo when we're mathematically eliminated at the deadline

.... trade the twins for futures? :drink:
I've seen this movie a few times now.

They needed to add at least 1 ass kicker to the top 6 to make any forward progress. At least...

As they stand right now, they may qualify for the post season but I wouldn't expect much more than what we've witnessed the past 2 playoffs. Too many softies

edit: and yes, if they haven't even managed to secure a spot by the deadline, time to turn the page.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

This division will clearly be tougher, but the upside of it is if we make the playoffs we'll have had to be prepped much better for playoff hockey playing against the likes of the Kings and Sharks...the tougher division opponents means that the team will have no choice but to be grittier and tougher to play against, so if they make the playoffs I'd expect they'd be better prepared than they've been the past two years. But first....
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dbr wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:our own little dark horse, Jordan Subban,
I don't know why but I laugh every time I read this phrase.
Our little brony...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Yup. Get ready for the ebb years now cause the flow has definitely left the building.
Judging by what I'm seeing from some posters, on the other hand, there is clearly a lot of 'flow' going on these days.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

dbr wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Yup. Get ready for the ebb years now cause the flow has definitely left the building.
Judging by what I'm seeing from some posters, on the other hand, there is clearly a lot of 'flow' going on these days.
I know it looks like I'm bed wetting but we've seen 2 straight playoffs where the Canucks have been physically smeared by their opponents. If you go back one more year you see where teams more or less figured out our game and found the weaknesses.

To me, it's very apparent this team seriously lacks balls. We've seen nothing from management other than the drafting of prospects with balls and as much as I am relieved by this it doesn't address the current issue of our pillowy soft forward group.

Of course a healthy yearfrom Boothy and Kesler will help. So will adding a right hand shot defenseman to balance out the breakout. Neither of these factors should be counted on however as they haven't happened yet and relying on this sort of luck is what got us where we ended up last season.

Gillis needs to wake up and deal with these issues or else start the rebuild.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Do you ever wonder of maybe it was AV that kept the players balls in a jar on a shelf in the coaches office?
Look at kassian, he came here as advertised chucked his knuckles a couple of times and then strapped his tampon on like the rest of the girls.

Some nights it seemed like the mantra was play between the whistles or watch from the skybox

I mean how are you get down and dirty when your coach is trying to turn the game into a systems clinic?