The Future

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

The Future

Post by Rumsfeld »

Since the distant future is really now all this team has to look forward to, I though it would be fun to project our line-up in 4-5 years' time. Basically the revisionist bullshit on the rest of the board is making me sick, so I had to cheer myself up with some positive thinking.

I am pretty stoked about our draft this year and it's the first time in a long while we've had some real depth and talent waiting in the wings.

VetUFA Kesler Shinkaruk
VetUFA Horvat Kassian
Hansen Gaunce Jensen
Weise Lain VetUFA

UFA UFA
Edler Tanev
Corrado Subban

Lack
Ericsson

Yes, you probably noticed there's no Schoeder projected on my team. That's because he pretty much sucks. The veteranUFA spots could also be filled via trade, obviously.

Who knows how these players will turn out, but that would be a pretty big and rugged team up front.

Anyway, was just looking at our prospect pool and thought it would be fun to see how things might one day fit together... provided the Killer Tomato doesn't just trade them all away by then. :evil:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
donlever
CC Legend

Re: The Future

Post by donlever »

PK says his brother is gonna be the best Subban of them all.

:roll:
DeLevering since 1999.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

donlever wrote:PK says his brother is gonna be the best Subban of them all.

Yeah, the Staals said that as well. The kid should at least be an NHL'er though. Good offensive numbers in Junior and good pedigree.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Rumsfeld wrote:

Yeah, the Staals said that as well. The kid should at least be an NHL'er though. Good offensive numbers in Junior and good pedigree.

All true.

Hopefully he has a late growing spree in him.

So so small.
DeLevering since 1999.
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

Rumsfeld wrote:

2/3 ain't bad.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

This season realistically I hope to see Lain or Gaunce make the team full time, most likely Kellan Lain will make it, all he has to do is work on his strength and speed this summer.

I think Subban can make it within 5 years, he is an 'all he needs is a chance' type down the road.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

SKYO wrote:This season realistically I hope to see Lain or Gaunce make the team full time, most likely Kellan Lain will make it, all he has to do is work on his strength and speed this summer.

I think Subban can make it within 5 years, he is an 'all he needs is a chance' type down the road.
Gaunce won't make the team this year unless we are still desperate for a 3rd line centre by the end of preseason. He needs seasoning in the AHL.

I expect Lain probably will. Of course he could have a shitty camp and lose the spot they've already all but pencilled him into.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

In researching the players post draft I read somewhere an individual describe Subban as "Brian Rafalski like".

Clearly hyperbole at this point but wouldn't that be a nice gift to long suffering Canuck fans.

Brian outweighs (ed) him by a good deal but kids just recently turned 18 as well so adding pounds is going to happen.

Big brother PK's recent assessment:

Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban said he believes his younger brother Jordan may one day eclipse what he has accomplished.

"Jordan plays more of a cerebral type of game and is more of a thinker and I play off my instincts and try to do a little bit of everything," P.K. Subban said. "I think Jordan's skill level is much higher than mine. I'm on the ice with him every day during the summer doing skill stuff, and he's the one demonstrating the drill."
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote: "Jordan plays more of a cerebral type of game and is more of a thinker and I play off my instincts and try to do a little bit of everything," P.K. Subban said. "I think Jordan's skill level is much higher than mine. I'm on the ice with him every day during the summer doing skill stuff, and he's the one demonstrating the drill."[/b][/i]
Good, he'll be a great fucking coach in 15-20 years!

:hmmm:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

donlever wrote:In researching the players post draft I read somewhere an individual describe Subban as "Brian Rafalski like".

Clearly hyperbole at this point but wouldn't that be a nice gift to long suffering Canuck fans.
Donny, I sure hope he is more Rafalski like than Greg Hawgood like.

When I saw that photo of the Subban brothers at the draft, I was thinking someone should start him on growth hormone treatments just so his head would grow to a normal size.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Didn't they say they have a 2 year old brother who should be draft eligible in about 16 years?
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:Didn't they say they have a 2 year old brother who should be draft eligible in about 16 years?
Jesus, Mary and Joseph! :wow: How big is that brood? What are they, Mormon or something?

I kid... :look:

Jordan will be who he will be. Not a bad gamble at that stage of the draft.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I thought Rummy was trading runt 3rd line C for PK.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Hank wrote:Donny, I sure hope he is more Rafalski like than Greg Hawgood like.
Patrick Coulombe

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Was taking a look at contracts and stuff after reading Tciso's comment about not much cap room next year to re-sign Kassian, Hansen, Tanev, and the Sedins. A few thoughts came to mind regarding contracts that expire at the end of the 2014-15 season, and some even more significant cap hits disappearing the year after that.

Booth $4.25M
Richardson $1.15M

As far as Kassian goes, I look at Booth's contract and think it is safe to say that a 30 year old with his injury prone track record will not be getting re-signed here without putting in at least 70 games and 60 points. If he does get a new deal if will be at a reduced rate. Chances are I think Booth will be gone by either this deadline or 2015's. I think that paves the way for Gillis to re-sign Kassian on a short term (1-2 years) bridge contract.....depending upon Zack's season this year.

Tanev will be interesting. He's going to either step up this year and take some big strides, in which case he can probably ask for $3M next year, or he spins his wheels and makes GMMG's job a bit easier. Regardless, I'm not sure where the money comes from for him, and I do think it's very important to keep him as we aren't exactly stocked with blueline prospects at the moment.

Hansen is so key to the bottom 6 on this team it will be a shame to lose him, but, with the existing roster, I really don't see how we can keep him without a big increase in the salary cap ceiling.

Looking beyond that to the following season we have Bieksa, Hamhuis, and Kesler needing new deals.....a combined $14.1M in cap space. IMO Kesler and Hamhuis should both be re-signed barring unforeseen circumstances (like their play suddenly going to complete shit).

Personally I don't think Bieksa will be back. I think he will see his minutes cut and his role slightly diminished this season because he will be held accountable by Torts when casual Kev shows up and thinks his snarl will get it done for him. The same goes for Edler. I won't be surprised if that both of those guys tell Gillis they are willing to waive their NTC's.

I think that the Torts reset will pay dividends with some of the young guys and also some of the existing core players. But I also think that a secondary benefit will be that it shakes some guys loose and gives MG something to work with.

Now, I'm not saying go trade these guys right now. It would be even better if Torts shakes these guys up and we suddenly have a true contender again. But I'm also being a realist and saying that if Edler and Bieksa waive, that would give Gillis some really worthwhile assets to move and continue to retool. It's probably easier to get a good return on a struggling player when you can say you are moving him because he doesn't like playing for a coach who has the reputation of being an asshole. :P

The big question mark will be how much the Sedins want next year and how much the cap goes up. I don't see the cap going up by more than $2M. At which point, based on our current roster, Gillis can afford to give the Sedins a raise to what? $6.75M? Kassian gets some. Tanev gets some. Hansen probably let go.

Just remembered that Gillis still has one compliance buyout left to use if need be.....