2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Post by BurningBeard »

So... Mason Raymond is still available. I'm not sure I've seen so much interest in a Canuck FA since Byron Ritchie hit the market. :D Sure has gotten quite on the FA front for the tweeners.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

We all knew these would be the guys most hurt by the CBA.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

In Raymond's case I have to admit I'm a little surprised, given the rumors stating that Calgary was kicking his tires, and they have plenty of cap space. Then again, they already has Stajan on their roster, so I'm not sure why they need another useless puff. I guess the rumors really were just rumors.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

BurningBeard wrote:In Raymond's case I have to admit I'm a little surprised, given the rumors stating that Calgary was kicking his tires, and they have plenty of cap space. Then again, they already has Stajan on their roster, so I'm not sure why they need another useless puff. I guess the rumors really were just rumors.
That explains why MG did not trade Raymond at the deadline. No GMs want him even as a free agent... :lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BurningBeard wrote: So... Mason Raymond is still available. I'm not sure I've seen so much interest in a Canuck FA since Byron Ritchie hit the market. :D
Time for another paycut! :D

What kind of a twisted fuck even remembers Byron Ritchie...
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote:
BurningBeard wrote: So... Mason Raymond is still available. I'm not sure I've seen so much interest in a Canuck FA since Byron Ritchie hit the market. :D

Remember when Brad Isbister was going to play with the Sedins?

Ahh, the Nonis years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

ESQ wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Remember when Brad Isbister was going to play with the Sedins?

Ahh, the Nonis years.
Remember when Kassian was supposed to play with the Sedins and David Booth and Mason Raymond were supposed to be a top-six one-two punch?

:lol:

Ah, right now.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Remember when Kassian was supposed to play with the Sedins and David Booth and Mason Raymond were supposed to be a top-six one-two punch?

Ah, right now.
Do you officially consider Kassian a bust?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Strangelove wrote:What kind of a twisted fuck even remembers Byron Ritchie...
:twisted: It fills me with joy to see the FAs that leave our team, that nobody else in the NHL wants, are improving in quality.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jovocop wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

Ah, right now.
Do you officially consider Kassian a bust?
I officially consider his season last year to be Isbister-quality at best. I think this year will determine whether he is an NHL top-sixer or a fourth-liner. If it is the latter, the trade was a disaster. I see some really good things there but it's time to put it together. We've seen players with way more potential than party-boy Kass bust out.

Glass houses and all that.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Remember when Kassian was supposed to play with the Sedins and David Booth and Mason Raymond were supposed to be a top-six one-two punch?

Ah, right now.
Kassian is young yet.

Booth could yet prove you don't need brains to be a regular NHL top-sixer.

Raymond?

Anyone who ever thought Mayray is an NHL top-sixer is dumber than Booth and drinks more than Kassian. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Rumsfeld wrote:
I officially consider his season last year to be Isbister-quality at best. I think this year will determine whether he is an NHL top-sixer or a fourth-liner. If it is the latter, the trade was a disaster. I see some really good things there but it's time to put it together. We've seen players with way more potential than party-boy Kass bust out.

Sorry, but that is total bunk. To say at 22 years old that a budding power forward is a bust if he doesn't put it all together this season is nonsense. Todd Bertuzzi debuted for the Islanders in 1995-1996 and didn't begin to put it all together until 1999-2000. He didn't "break out" until 2001-2002.

I still firmly believe that Kassian will be well worth the wait, but I think we still have a wait. I think he'll come into his own at 24-25 years old like Bert did.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Groovypippin wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

Sorry, but that is total bunk. To say at 22 years old that a budding power forward is a bust if he doesn't put it all together this season is nonsense. Todd Bertuzzi debuted for the Islanders in 1995-1996 and didn't begin to put it all together until 1999-2000. He didn't "break out" until 2001-2002.

I still firmly believe that Kassian will be well worth the wait, but I think we still have a wait. I think he'll come into his own at 24-25 years old like Bert did.
He has done absolutely nothin at the NHL level despite playing with good players on a good team. He looked absolutely lost out there for most of last season and wasn't even playing well in a fourth line role.

Bertuzzi showed flashes of amazing skill, soft hands, great passing and stickhandling before he broke out... have we really seen that from Kass?

This season he will be 23 and if he doesn't put it together I don't think it's a stretch to say he isn't the player we hoped he would be. I have very high hopes for him because I love what he brings as far as size and toughness with some skill, but if last year doesn't worry you a bit then you either weren't paying attention or you're wearing your rose-colored Corner shades. They're going like hotcakes this summer.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Hmmm - the Oilers are cutting loose a couple of right-shooting defencemen... I know, I know, if they can't make a weak Oilers squad...

However, what if the stupid Oilers stunted their development?

Alex Plante 24 years old, 6'3", 225 lbs
Colten Teubert 23 years old, 6'4", 201 lbs

Both former first round picks, Plante selected 15th overall by Edmonton in 2007, and Teubert selected 13th overall by Los Angeles in 2008.

What do you think? Already busts, or is it bargain bin gold?

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: He looked absolutely lost out there for most of last season and wasn't even playing well in a fourth line role.
I'm going to have to agree with that statement, and I was watching the lad rather closely.

Anxious to see what Torts can do with the kid.

A breakout season by Kassian would change everything.
____
Try to focus on someday.