2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby herb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Jovocop wrote:The Canucks have 18 players signed with $5.7m remaining cap space. They just need another 3 - 4 players. The only one that could command anything over $1m is Tanev. They should still have room to sign a top-nine or cheap (old) top-six.


They need to sign another 4-5 players. They usually roll through the season with a 23 man roster.

Tanev will be over $1M. Schroeder and Lain, assuming both are on the roster, are both over $1M. That’s $3.5Mish right there.

Then you have Weise, who will be about $700,000, and probably a depth defenseman who could easily be another $1M.

Plus the team will need a buffer for short term injury call ups.

Pretty easy to see how that $5.7M in remaining cap space will get eaten up pretty quick.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2005
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby $lacker » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:27 pm

Something along these lines would work... doesn't factor in Schroeder but I don't see how he fits in. A lot of these guys would be interchangeable through the line-up. Unless Booth steps it up this year, it seems to me we could really use a 30 goal guy :)

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)
Dale Weise ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Chris Tanev ($2.000m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Yannick Weber ($0.650m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,272,778; BONUSES: $162,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,189,722
User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Jovocop » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:27 pm

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m
Max Lapierre's deal with STL is for two years and a total of $2.2M.


Lapierre is the first ex-Canuck to sign a deal. The deal indicates that MG did not really want Lapierre back.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Aaronp18 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m
Max Lapierre's deal with STL is for two years and a total of $2.2M.


Lapierre is the first ex-Canuck to sign a deal. The deal indicates that MG did not really want Lapierre back.


Yeah, basically the same deal given to Richardson.

I'll take Richardson.

No more Yappy Lappy, even if he's gotten better on the yappy part he still has the rep.
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1743
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Tciso » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:40 pm

In what universe is david Clarkson worth $5.25 mil a season, for 7 fricking seasons. Nonis just dumped Grabovski, and replaces his contract with another one that is even worse! Harold Ballard's spirit must have posessed Nonis the last 72 hours.

Oh, btw, it's freeking awesome to watch Toronto flush themselves yet again.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 947
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Tciso » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m
Max Lapierre's deal with STL is for two years and a total of $2.2M.


Lapierre is the first ex-Canuck to sign a deal. The deal indicates that MG did not really want Lapierre back.


Yeah, basically the same deal given to Richardson.

I'll take Richardson.

No more Yappy Lappy, even if he's gotten better on the yappy part he still has the rep.


Richardson can play up on the 3rd line, where Yappy wasn't a great fit there. Kinda a swap of players, but, GMMG is changing the culture. And, yes, we do get a little less yappy, and hopefully a bit tougher to play against physically.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 947
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Jovocop » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Tciso wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:Yeah, basically the same deal given to Richardson.

I'll take Richardson.

No more Yappy Lappy, even if he's gotten better on the yappy part he still has the rep.


Richardson can play up on the 3rd line, where Yappy wasn't a great fit there. Kinda a swap of players, but, GMMG is changing the culture. And, yes, we do get a little less yappy, and hopefully a bit tougher to play against physically.


That is my take as well. Lapierre signs a similar deal like Richardson with St. Louis. I would assume that if MG offered the same, Lapierre would stay.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Reefer2 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:27 pm

One mouth piece down and 1 or 2 more to go but then that wont happen.

So this team will start the season with the same core that got blown out in the first round twice?

So I guess MG thought it was all the coaches fault.
User avatar
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Jovocop » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Jarome Iginla is a Boston Bruin.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Iggy deal: $1.8 M base salary, $3.7 M games played bonus, $500,000 goal scoring/team playoff performance: total $6 M

--------------------------------------------------------------

Minnesota Wild ‏@mnwild
BREAKING: #mnwild has agreed to a three-year contract with free agent forward Matt Cooke. MORE: http://ow.ly/mHI3Y #NHL

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Matt Cooke signs for $7.5 M over 3 years in Minny


Wow, the Bruins finally get Iginla after failing to trade for him last season. $6m for Iginla :crazy:

The Wilds replaced Clutterbuck with Cooke... :roll:
Last edited by Jovocop on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby vic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Reefer2 wrote:So I guess MG thought it was all the coaches fault.


:thumbs:
User avatar
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby SKYO » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:03 pm

Iginla with the one year contract, Boston gets the 35+yrs old cap allowance. :scowl:

Maybe he'll come here when the cap goes up next offseason. :thumbs:
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3227
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:59 pm

You know when you look at all the deals done today, outside the big names, the Canucks were on par with most teams. Then look at the big names and if we had no cap concerns how many of them would you have been happy with if it was the canucks? I know not many for me.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... nings.html

This is a team by team breakdown which makes it easier to see what all the teams accomplished with buy outs, FA signings, extensions and trades.

We just didn't have the cap space to make a splash or to bring in another 4-5 million dollar player.

Today MG said Y. Weber has a Salo type slap shot and they expect to utilize him on the PP more than he has been. If true, I like that idea, having he and garrison blasting away. On Richardson he said this is a player they have been after for some time and exactly the type they want on the bottom nine. Of course he has said that about every FA he has signed so I dunno.

But given the cap crunch, given that they have been telling us we had to get used to the idea of more youth in the line up, I don't think we could have expected much more.

I do wonder if Booth would have been a buy out option if healthy but then again even his cap hit would not have gotten us much today and what it would bring would have been a minimum 5 year term, maybe 7.

Now lets get Tanev re-signed, Luongo settled and lets rock and roll. Oh, MG did say he expects 2 of the kids they drafted to compete for roster spots. Doesn't take a genius to which two he is talking about.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3580
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Diehard1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:51 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:You know when you look at all the deals done today, outside the big names, the Canucks were on par with most teams. Then look at the big names and if we had no cap concerns how many of them would you have been happy with if it was the canucks? I know not many for me.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... nings.html

This is a team by team breakdown which makes it easier to see what all the teams accomplished with buy outs, FA signings, extensions and trades.

We just didn't have the cap space to make a splash or to bring in another 4-5 million dollar player.

Today MG said Y. Weber has a Salo type slap shot and they expect to utilize him on the PP more than he has been. If true, I like that idea, having he and garrison blasting away. On Richardson he said this is a player they have been after for some time and exactly the type they want on the bottom nine. Of course he has said that about every FA he has signed so I dunno.

But given the cap crunch, given that they have been telling us we had to get used to the idea of more youth in the line up, I don't think we could have expected much more.

I do wonder if Booth would have been a buy out option if healthy but then again even his cap hit would not have gotten us much today and what it would bring would have been a minimum 5 year term, maybe 7.

Now lets get Tanev re-signed, Luongo settled and lets rock and roll. Oh, MG did say he expects 2 of the kids they drafted to compete for roster spots. Doesn't take a genius to which two he is talking about.


Agreed, I'm fine with the day today as well. Added two depth guys, one a #6 or #7 dman on a very cheap deal, the other a bottom 6 forward that plays all 3 positions so adds versatility. I still expect a couple of signings, nothing major, but more will be added.

Still, it looks like this will be a bit of a transition year, at least at first glance. The team needs another top 6 forward at some point in the near future (maybe Bo or Hunter will be that guy) and still need that shutdown #3 center (Gaunce looks very well suited to that role if he develops properly). I agree that the kids need a chance, there will be some growing pains but the team will be better off for them.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Reefer2 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:53 pm

To me the Nucks had zero chance signing any big FA with no cap space.

the problem still lies with the old/stale core that MG did nothing about when he had a chance.

With out any requests from MG to move some of the NMC/NTC players the only change to the core will be the Sedin's after next season and we need to keep them. So our core will be in place until the end of 2016 season, unless you count Booth who may be bought out after next season.

Kind of mind blowing knowing that our core will be here that long.
User avatar
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby ukcanuck » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Having Booth healthy is like getting a new ufa.

It also seems that aqualinguini is one of only a few owners to swallow a buyout so maybe not deserving of a cheap bastard name tag after all.
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2309
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

cron