2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Post by black ace »

Madcombinepilot wrote:I am not worried about Alberts adjusting to a new system. Wen he first came here, it was mid season on a trade. This time, he will get the benefit from a training camp. He will be fine.
When Alberts first got here he was the worst defenceman I have ever seen. EVER !! Those first few games where he guys were cutting around him like he was standing still and he was taking penalties for grabbing guys jerseys as they skated past him were amazing. It probably wasnt as bad as I remember but it was bad.

But now a couple of years later as a 7th defenceman he could play on my team anytime. I really like what he brings to the rink when he plays. His contract is very cap friendly as well.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Welp, I guess we didn't want to pay Douglas Murray $1.5M, but at least we got Fat Alberts back. :lol:
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mëds wrote:
I did. I'd take him. He never quit. He got knocked around quite a bit by the Bruins, but who doesn't? Regardless, every time he did get put on his ass it was in the corner or in front of the net. He was fearless, and he always bounced right back up and got back in the play as quickly as he could. Open ice and down the wing the Bruins weren't fast enough to touch him.....most of the time.

Grabovski >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Schroeder.

I don't care if it closes the door on JS. Grabovski would give the Canucks the option of 3 attacking lines, or the standard 1-2-Shutdown-Grinder approach.[/quote]

Ths is 100% true. But in the end, you have to score and the guy did NOTHING offensively in that series. I think he got way too much ice-time in the playoffs.[/quote]

The leaves had 4 forwards who scored more than Grabovski in the playoffs. Not bad considering he was the 3rd line center.

He was a minus-10. Tells me that he's not great defensively and should never have been out there in that role.[/quote]

Grabovski was actually their #1 centre in the playoffs. He logged a lot of ice-time. Kadri's time was cut back and Bozak got hurt. 2 assists with 0 goals isn't impressive. When you start to say only 4 forwards scored more, it's meaningless. You're talking about two assists with all that ice-time.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BigTuna wrote:
Mëds wrote:
I did. I'd take him. He never quit. He got knocked around quite a bit by the Bruins, but who doesn't? Regardless, every time he did get put on his ass it was in the corner or in front of the net. He was fearless, and he always bounced right back up and got back in the play as quickly as he could. Open ice and down the wing the Bruins weren't fast enough to touch him.....most of the time.

Grabovski >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Schroeder.

I don't care if it closes the door on JS. Grabovski would give the Canucks the option of 3 attacking lines, or the standard 1-2-Shutdown-Grinder approach.

Ths is 100% true. But in the end, you have to score and the guy did NOTHING offensively in that series. I think he got way too much ice-time in the playoffs.[/quote]

The leaves had 4 forwards who scored more than Grabovski in the playoffs. Not bad considering he was the 3rd line center.

He was a minus-10. Tells me that he's not great defensively and should never have been out there in that role.[/quote]

Grabovski was actually their #1 centre in the playoffs. He logged a lot of ice-time. Kadri's time was cut back and Bozak got hurt. 2 assists with 0 goals isn't impressive. When you start to say only 4 forwards scored more, it's meaningless. You're talking about two assists with all that ice-time.[/quote]

But who was he out on the ice with? Kesler got lots of ice time in 2010-11, but he was out in a shutdown role and matched up against the opponents best players. His even strength scoring wasn't great, he made up for it on the PP. He didn't have line mates that were going to help him much offensively at 5-on-5. Likewise, Grabovski only ended up with the top players after Bozak got hurt. I recall Kessel scored half of his total playoff points in the last 2 games.....after Bozak was out. And no, it wasn't because of Lupul because Lupul put up 3 goose eggs to close out the series. Grabovski was also a minus in each game. So he wasn't playing with Kessel. Pretty sure Kadri got promoted after Bozak went down.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:Okay, how about Dustin Penner? :drink:

Canucks need more size in their top 9 and Penner sticks up for his teammates.

He'd easily pop 20+ goals here if given time with the twins on the PP.
I knew we should have signed Penner! :lol: :mad:

21gms 9goals 11assists 20pts +18
4 powerplay goals.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote:

4 powerplay goals.
Indeed
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

SKYO wrote:

4 powerplay goals.
Hard to say as there is a huge personality difference between Getzlaf/Perry and Hank/Dank.

Getz and Perry at their core are douches. Probably amongst the top 10 NHL payers in the last 10 years, gold medal winning, Stanley Cup winning douches that play a real physical and asshole game.

Versus

Hank/Dank which are exactly the opposite.

When Getz went down earlier, Penner's production went to nil. When Getz came back, Penner's production went back up.

Penner seems to me like a player that needs other big skilled players to play with. When he was playing in Edmonton, looking at the numbers, he seems alright but his work ethic there is nothing close to what he's doing in Anaheim.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

As a Canuck I think he would be in more dog houses other than RD who would be all over his lazy ass. Penney is a very streaky player with long stretches of being a no show. I don't doubt that when he comes to play he would be an upgrade for us but I question how many games he would decide to show up for.

Now in the playoffs he is a performer.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, i doubt Penner would put up those kind of numbers with the Nucks. He's probably playing with Getzlaf and Perry, so he's racking up the points. Hell, Boothy could probably put up similar numbers playing with those 2. If Penner was here, he'd probably be in and out of Tort's doghouse, much like Booth and Kassian. I think Penner is like Pyatt, a big guy with good skills, but is a bit of a gentle giant and doesn't have the desire most nights.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Penner is German for lazy bum. I kid you not. :)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Dustin "Bum Bum" Penner, what an even better name... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Cookie La Rue on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yeah some players just seem to do well only in a certain city/team, don't know what psychological thing it is, maybe it's the colour of the jersey, the stadium, the weather.?

Cause in LA Penner wasn't all that great, he goes back to the Ducks and all of a sudden he has found his comfort zone once again.

Too lazy to look up other players who have done the same in the NHL (Do well with one team, horrible with another, go back to former team and perform well again) it does happen!
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

SKYO wrote:Yeah some players just seem to do well only in a certain city/team, don't know what psychological thing it is, maybe it's the colour of the jersey, the stadium, the weather.?

Cause in LA Penner wasn't all that great, he goes back to the Ducks and all of a sudden he has found his comfort zone once again.

Too lazy to look up other players who have done the same in the NHL (Do well with one team, horrible with another, go back to former team and perform well again) it does happen!
Its called Perry and Getzlaf.

You couldn't find more alpha males than these two.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Or Horcoff and Hemsky? lol