2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Post by dbr »

Unless they pull of another bold move (or are just going to fuck with Gary and abuse the cap all year long again, a la 2010-11) I don't see the Canucks making a big free agent signing this year.

Apparently we've talked to Matt Hendricks' agent, he's a fourth liner from the Caps who is great on faceoffs (56%), can play all three forward positions and isn't afraid to mix it up. Not going to bother going to look it up but if you're into possession data apparently it paints a flattering picture of this guy.

As for the bargain bin - it will be interesting to see whether the Canucks take this offseason as an opportunity to find young players who could get their careers back on track in Vancouver, or older guys who are a bit more "what you see is what you get."

There are a handful of interesting youngsters out there, I like Matt Halischuk and Colton Gillies to compete for a bottom six role and Jon Blum and Bobby Sanguinett to give us another mobile right shooting defenseman... not sure if any of them are going to end up sticking in the league but they've all got potential (less so with Gillies, who I'd probably try to sneak through waivers to Utica).
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

ODB wrote:I'd take Iggy in a heart beat (at the right cat hit)!
Watch out, spooner!
It's a great day for hockey!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ESQ wrote: So far the only UFA RHD I've found is Roszival, who apparently had a bit of a renaissance in Chicago.
Jonathan Blum just became an UFA. A RHD with offensive potential.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Jovocop wrote:
ESQ wrote: So far the only UFA RHD I've found is Roszival, who apparently had a bit of a renaissance in Chicago.
Jonathan Blum just became an UFA.
Blum would be interesting. Likely come cheap and he played in Vancouver with the Giants.

He is only 24, he's played well in the WHL and AHL. May just need a change of scenery.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Aaronp18 wrote: Blum would be interesting. Likely come cheap and he played in Vancouver with the Giants.

He is only 24, he's played well in the WHL and AHL. May just need a change of scenery.
TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040
MT @steveewen: UFA dman Jon Blum, the former @WHLGiant, says the Canucks are one of the teams that contacted his agent. "I would love that."

Scott Rintoul ‏@ScottRintoul
RT @steveewen: More Blum + #Canucks : "It's like my 2nd home.It would b a good transition 4 me.There would b a lot of familiar faces."
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Jovocop wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote: Blum would be interesting. Likely come cheap and he played in Vancouver with the Giants.

TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040
MT @steveewen: UFA dman Jon Blum, the former @WHLGiant, says the Canucks are one of the teams that contacted his agent. "I would love that."

Scott Rintoul ‏@ScottRintoul
RT @steveewen: More Blum + #Canucks : "It's like my 2nd home.It would b a good transition 4 me.There would b a lot of familiar faces."
Meh, never a bad thing to add cheap depth on D - as long as it's cheap.

He can't be any worse than Barker...

...can he? :|
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I don't believe Iginla has much left offensively. His best days are definitely behind him but he'll still get ya 25 goals, 50/60 points.

I think the real benefit would be having a professional like Iginla show our kids, Horvat, Gaunce, Kassian and Shinkaruk what it takes to be a pro. I can't think of a better mentor in the game right now. Say what you want about Iginla's diminishing skills, he's a leader, professional and truly one of the games good guys. IMO, there's value in what he can teach our young guys.

And he'll pot you 25!

If you can fit a guy like Iggy into our cap (I don't really see how), you do it!

Just my humble opinion. :thumbs:
Meow?! :eh: ...is that waht you pussies say in the only big province without an NHL team :P

Sounds like a Mike Gillis move...a shit-for-GM for sure!

BD would agree!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
Watch out, spooner!
:lol:
2011..... the one that got away.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

The rumor on Calpuck is that Mason Raymond will be signing a contract with the Flames tomorrow. Well, if nothing else, the Flames will be a fast team next year, especially if Poirier makes the team.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...well that should be a barrel of laughs for y'all.

Prepare to be driven nuts...and a lot of falling down.
DeLevering since 1999.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Not a horrible signing for the Flames. Local kid with speed to burn, but he won't get many greasy goals. Not a fit on a contending team but he could fit on a team that is looking to fill out its top 6 with no real ambition of making the playoffs. Curious as to how much dough he will get.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

BCExpat wrote:The rumor on Calpuck is that Mason Raymond will be signing a contract with the Flames tomorrow. Well, if nothing else, the Flames will be a fast team next year, especially if Poirier makes the team.

I hope Hamhuis hipchecks him into an unrenovated row of the Saddledome.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Not a horrible signing for the Flames. Local kid with speed to burn, but he won't get many greasy goals. Not a fit on a contending team but he could fit on a team that is looking to fill out its top 6 with no real ambition of making the playoffs. Curious as to how much dough he will get.

I completely agree with this. The Flames just need to fill out the roster for now. They should be concentrating on building through the draft. They will be drafting high in the next two years - with a chance at getting Ekblad and McDavid. If not those two, then they should be drafting still get some pretty good prospects.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I'm sure Raymond will get a consistent offensive role to put up some points for the Flames. He'll be a useful player for them.

Just wondering if they'll end up with Matthew Lombardi 2.0?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

BCExpat wrote:The rumor on Calpuck is that Mason Raymond will be signing a contract with the Flames tomorrow. Well, if nothing else, the Flames will be a fast team next year, especially if Poirier makes the team.
How do you people live with yourselves? Christ.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.