Qualifying Offers in....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Spock
CC Veteran

Qualifying Offers in....

Post by Spock »

Today Canucks qualified RFAs Tanev and Weise, Jordan Schroeder, Bill Sweatt, Kellan Lain, Anton Rodin, Darren Archibald & Yann Sauve.

Not offered qualifying offers to Prab Rai or Derek Joslin.

No surprises there. I expect everyone to accept the offers except for Tanev.
Schroeder may hold out hoping for a one-way and probably get it since he is waiver eligible.
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Qualifying Offers in....

Post by Southern_Canuck »

And also no offer for Stefan Schneider - no surprise there either.

I am a little surprised by the offer to Bill Sweatt - IMO he is too small and not physical enough to make the NHL as a bottom 6 player despite his speed and penalty killing. Maybe I am missing something.

Plus, I'm not sure what they are thinking on Sauve - his concussion from being hit by a car seems to have irrepairably set him back.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Southern_Canuck wrote:And also no offer for Stefan Schneider - no surprise there either.

I am a little surprised by the offer to Bill Sweatt - IMO he is too small and not physical enough to make the NHL as a bottom 6 player despite his speed and penalty killing. Maybe I am missing something.
S_C
He's a vet, and Gillis & co. will need to acquire more in order to fill the Utica roster. As it stands, they are extremely thin on farm land experience.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Southern_Canuck wrote: And also no offer for Stefan Schneider
OMG your Vancouver Canucks have gone totally anti-Schneider! :evil:

Someone tell the Jewish Defense League.
Southern_Canuck wrote: I am a little surprised by the offer to Bill Sweatt - IMO he is too small and not physical enough to make the NHL as a bottom 6 player despite his speed and penalty killing. Maybe I am missing something.
Emergency injury callup?
Southern_Canuck wrote: Plus, I'm not sure what they are thinking on Sauve - his concussion from being hit by a car seems to have irrepairably set him back.
Yeah, that's weird...
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The Hindi community are outraged.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

It will be interesting to see how they fill out the Utica roster, but having said that, I wager there were some guys in the ECHL last year who Gillis&Co. felt should have been playing in the 'A'. The question is whether if the Canucks sign guys to minor league contracts, whether that counts against their reserve list or not.

As for Rai, I think he would have had to wow the organization in any of the last couple of camps and then kept it up over the season for him to have really had a shot. He didn't, so best of luck with your hockey career, kiddo. As for Sauvé, it's a bit of hard luck but he had his chances and I guess couldn't prove that he coupld significantly improve his game. As for Schneider, ya Doc, I'm sensing a distinct anti-Schneider movement in the front office! :lol:

No real surprises. I don't think any of the ones qualified - with the exception of Tanev - have much leverage to squeeze Gillis and Co. for a huge raise or a trade, so I don't foresee much drama on this front. Even with Tanev, I don't see too much acrimony there even with them having hired an agent. I would be surprised if he's still not signed by the end of the weekend.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

IIRC, Jeremy Price just completed his senior year at college. Any word on whether or not he'll receive an offer sheet, S_C?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I haven't heard anything, I believe he is eligible to go the Justin Schultz route (ie. UFA on 8/15) but I don't know if that's in his plans - or for that matter why a player with no definite NHL future would bother with that.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

The only thing I heard about Price was that he was going back to Colgate - I wasn't sure if that was some sort of summer class to finish his degree, or whether it meant enrolling for the fall... He left the Wolves after getting in a few games, but before their season was over, so it was a bit odd.

As Mr. Babych pointed out, the Canucks don't need to qualify him as they already own his rights until Aug 15 - I haven't heard anything regarding how interested they are.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

BTW, how much does Tanev worth as a RFA? I read somewhere that the expected salary range is around $3-$4m. As good as Tanev, I don't think he should get anything over $2m. He is a RFA with only 2G and 8A in 92GP.

According to Jeff Angus, Nashville did not qualify Blum. Should the Canucks trade for him? I understand that he might still be a bit of project. However, a RH defenseman with some offensive upside might be what the Canucks need.
Last edited by Jovocop on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

People overrate Tanev. He's a great pick up but young D-men who have zero offensive output just don't have much leverage. And while he has certainly provided solid play, the holes in his game do get exposed against the higher quality forwards in the league. He is a third pairing guy who could permanently be a #4 guy in a year or two. He'll get some "hey he's got potential" money but not a lot. I expect the canucks will be looking for a 3yr/$5 mil type of deal or 2yr/$3 mil

If someone offers sheets him at $4 mil a year, well good for him because he won't get that from the canucks (I'm assuming).
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

tantalum wrote:People overrate Tanev. He's a great pick up but young D-men who have zero offensive output just don't have much leverage. And while he has certainly provided solid play, the holes in his game do get exposed against the higher quality forwards in the league. He is a third pairing guy who could permanently be a #4 guy in a year or two. He'll get some "hey he's got potential" money but not a lot. I expect the canucks will be looking for a 3yr/$5 mil type of deal or 2yr/$3 mil

If someone offers sheets him at $4 mil a year, well good for him because he won't get that from the canucks (I'm assuming).
What an absolutely ridiculous assessment of Tanev.

He gets exposed by the higher quality forwards in the league? Lol. Shea Weber got lit up by Kesler in the playoffs 2 years ago. I've watched the Sedins make a mockery out of some of the best defensemen out there. I've watched Datsyuk go through an entire 5 man unit that included some pretty well respected defencemen. The great and mighty Zdeno Chara has been burned badly at times by speedy forwards, some who aren't even going to crack most teams top 3. Every dman in the league gets exposed at times by high quality forwards.

One of the positives with Tanev all last season and in the games he played in the season before, has been his quiet and confident play and how he SHUTDOWN top forwards by simply reading the play and being in the right place. He plays like Lidstrom without the offensive contributions. The only "holes" in his game are his lack of offense and the fact that he's not a bruising and punishing stay home D.

He won't cash in huge this summer because he's layed less than a full season, but I do expect him to get something that approaches $2M per year. If he signs for less than $1.75M I'll be very happy.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote:
tantalum wrote:People overrate Tanev. He's a great pick up but young D-men who have zero offensive output just don't have much leverage. And while he has certainly provided solid play, the holes in his game do get exposed against the higher quality forwards in the league. He is a third pairing guy who could permanently be a #4 guy in a year or two. He'll get some "hey he's got potential" money but not a lot. I expect the canucks will be looking for a 3yr/$5 mil type of deal or 2yr/$3 mil

What an absolutely ridiculous assessment of Tanev.

He gets exposed by the higher quality forwards in the league? Lol. Shea Weber got lit up by Kesler in the playoffs 2 years ago. I've watched the Sedins make a mockery out of some of the best defensemen out there. I've watched Datsyuk go through an entire 5 man unit that included some pretty well respected defencemen. The great and mighty Zdeno Chara has been burned badly at times by speedy forwards, some who aren't even going to crack most teams top 3. Every dman in the league gets exposed at times by high quality forwards.

One of the positives with Tanev all last season and in the games he played in the season before, has been his quiet and confident play and how he SHUTDOWN top forwards by simply reading the play and being in the right place. He plays like Lidstrom without the offensive contributions. The only "holes" in his game are his lack of offense and the fact that he's not a bruising and punishing stay home D.

He won't cash in huge this summer because he's layed less than a full season, but I do expect him to get something that approaches $2M per year. If he signs for less than $1.75M I'll be very happy.
Wow, Tanev is being compared to Lidstrom?? Lidstrom is HOF because he put up lots of points as well as playing very sound defense. Tanev, at best, is a Mitchell lite (in terms of size).
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I think the Lidstrom comparison is meant to convey the style of defense he plays rather than the immensity of his impact on the game.

Although, given the vociferousness of Mëds' objection to tantalum's assessment, I see startlingly little difference in the two takes (he's got no offense and gets exposed by good players vs. he gets exposed by good players like everyone else does, and he's got no offense) or for that matter in the salary expectations ($1.5-1.66m per vs $1.75-2m per).
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Jason Botchford ‏@botchford
Leddy at $2.7m, means Tanev should fit in around $2m, which most people thought to begin with.
Leddy 13g 49a in 176GP (0.35 PPG) in the regular seasons and 1g 4a in 36GP (0.14 PPG) in the playoffs.
Tanev 2g 8a in 92GP (0.11 PPG) in the regular seasons and 0g 0a in 10GP (0 PPG) in the playoffs.

Defensively, Tanev > Leddy. Offensively, Leddy >>> Tanev. If Leddy gets $2.7m, Tanev should be around $1.75m at best. I am not sure what Botchford is thinking...