Canucks select Hunter Shinkaruk with the #24 pick.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks select Hunter Shinkaruk with the #24 pick.

Post by Rayxor »

Lancer wrote: As for Shinkaruk, the kid's thrived in the WHL and I haven't heard anything bad about the Medicine Hat organization
The organization is well run and has been very successful since Willie Dejardins became coach and has continued under his replacement since he left for Dallas. In that time the team has had 10 straight winning seasons (crazy for a junior team due to the high turnover and the tendency for boom and bust cycles) and 11 straight playoff appearnaces, 10 of which went beyond a 1st round and 2 memorial cup appearances, including a final that they lost to that other Vancouver team, the goddamn Giants.

The team seems to pick skill at the expense of size which helps keep them competitive since your 5 ft 8 inch 170lb top liners dont get drafted early (or at all) and you can keep them until they are 20 or even as an overage. Shinkaruk was not a small player by this teams standards. As a comparison, our top players over the years have included Tyler Ennis and Kris Russel. Even our toughest guys were well under 200 lbs (Derek Dorsett)

Unfortunately, I have not seen any games recently so I cant say much about Hunter. Now that he is a prospect, I will surely play much more attention and maybe even get to a game next year.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

My favorite aspect of this pick is the fact that a lot of Flames fans wanted Feaster to take him at 22 but they grabbed some other kid that was projected later in the 2nd round.

Then they flew off the handle after the Canucks drafted him. Some Flames fans snippets from HF:
Brandonlee @ HFboards wrote: For those who enjoy the suffering of Flames fans, I thought I would compile a few HF quotes from their fans as they passed on Hunter and watched the Canucks take him...

"If Vancouver takes Hunter I swear..."

"**** sakes. Now the ****ing Canucks get him. **** you. ****"

"Hunter to Vancouver...this day started so well. We will have fun playing against him for the next 10 years. I hate Feaster so much."

"Now we have to deal with him on the ****ing Canucks god damn it FEASTER"
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

Aaronp18 wrote:My favorite aspect of this pick is the fact that a lot of Flames fans wanted Feaster to take him at 22 but they grabbed some other kid that was projected later in the 2nd round.

Then they flew off the handle after the Canucks drafted him. Some Flames fans snippets from HF:
Brandonlee @ HFboards wrote: For those who enjoy the suffering of Flames fans, I thought I would compile a few HF quotes from their fans as they passed on Hunter and watched the Canucks take him...

"If Vancouver takes Hunter I swear..."

"**** sakes. Now the ****ing Canucks get him. **** you. ****"

"Hunter to Vancouver...this day started so well. We will have fun playing against him for the next 10 years. I hate Feaster so much."

"Now we have to deal with him on the ****ing Canucks god damn it FEASTER"

His first order of business should be throwing up a trick against them in pre-season.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ORCA wrote: His first order of business should be throwing up a trick against them in pre-season.
Even better, don't they have that prospect tourney again this summer?

Hopefully our kids can kick the crap outta the Flames, should be confidence inspiring for their rebuild!
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Don't worry flames fans have gotten around to rationalizing why Poirier is the better pick and how all the scouting services were completely out to lunch (which of course they may be). He is now the superior player and Shinkaruk will be lucky to have a career in a Europe.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

tantalum wrote:Don't worry flames fans have gotten around to rationalizing why Poirier is the better pick and how all the scouting services were completely out to lunch (which of course they may be). He is now the superior player and Shinkaruk will be lucky to have a career in a Europe.
Whatever helps them sleep better on their waterbeds!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

RoyalDude wrote:I agree, these two could develop some real nice chemistry between each other, very complimentary skill sets and both seem to have a real good attitudes.
When there's no more sedin power activated, hopefully we'll see alot of this after a goal in a few years. :lol:

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Flames did similar last year, going off the board, they picked a bunch of college kids. Odd drafting out of cow town the past couple of years.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

Topper wrote:The Flames did similar last year, going off the board, they picked a bunch of college kids. Odd drafting out of cow town the past couple of years.
They left an aging core in tact, unwilling to deal for prospects/picks, and also made poor choices giving away draft picks they had for (returning) aged vets and sideways moves.

A lot of people give Gillis a hard time about draft day choices...I'm glad we don't have Jay Feaster.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

ORCA wrote:
Topper wrote:The Flames did similar last year, going off the board, they picked a bunch of college kids. Odd drafting out of cow town the past couple of years.
They left an aging core in tact, unwilling to deal for prospects/picks, and also made poor choices giving away draft picks they had for (returning) aged vets and sideways moves.

A lot of people give Gillis a hard time about draft day choices...I'm glad we don't have Jay Feaster.
Concur, and I sense that Gillis took a look over the mountains this Spring and saw a possible vision of the team's future. He picked a good time/draft to steer clear of a Feaster Fiasco (though in all fairness, he had Dutter to thank for a lot of his mess). I don't think he's totally clear of such a fiasco, but if he can manage a good prospect and player out of a trading of one of the core then he may well pull off an in-fly re-tool. It wouldn't silence all the naysayers, but it would be a pretty good feat.

Now, if only he would stop trading away 2nd rounders... :?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

I think Feaster did fairly well at this year's draft. As for drafting Poirier instead of Shinkaruk - I don't mind the pick at all. Montreal was going to pick him at #25. He has speed to burn, has some grit to his game, and has really made leaps and bounds last season in his overall game. He didn't score as many goals as Shinkaruk, but his numbers were comparable. I guess the Flames liked his size compared to Shinkaruk. Also, Shinkaruk has a more one dimensional game, so, it really isn't that much of a stretch to pick Poirier over Shinkaruk, although I think they will both be good players going forward. I guess we'll see where they are in 5 years, before we know which was the better pick.

Anyway, this isn't the draft that I was interested in. I'm interested in the 2014 and 2015 drafts. The Flames will be sucking big time for the next two years at least, and will have a chance at drafting Ekblad and McDavid.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hunter Shinkaruk - Top 10 Goals of All Time

This kid really has some skills.

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

He does indeed have some skills.

He also still has the upper body of a teenage girl.

Hopefully he can start addressing that tout suite.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Such a deadly back-hand. It's been a long time since Vancouver drafted a forward with the kind of hands and finish that Hunter possesses.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:He does indeed have some skills.

He also still has the upper body of a teenage girl.

Hopefully he can start addressing that tout suite.
It is still better than having an upper body of a woman, not that I don't like women's bodies... :mrgreen: