Canucks select Hunter Shinkaruk with the #24 pick.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks select Hunter Shinkaruk with the #24 pick.

Post by $lacker »

BladesofSteel wrote:Such a deadly back-hand. It's been a long time since Vancouver drafted a forward with the kind of hands and finish that Hunter possesses.
Was thinking the same thing... great hands in tight as well.

Rummy is right, hopefully he fills out a little. He also won't get the kind of time and space he was getting in those highlights in the NHL. Good prospect for sure though.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Yeah, he is REALLY skinny, even for a Junior player.

So I don't follow Junior very closely but I've noticed that the hype around Gaunce has died down quite a bit. Everybody was creaming themselves over him after we drafted and for the following year, so I'm wondering... has he regressed in his development a bit? Or were the pimply-faced little twat-nozzles at HF just talking out their asses as usual?

I always saw him as a player with the potential to be a really solid third-line center but that's about it... I tend to be pretty level-headed about draftees and not assume every one of them is the second coming of Ryan Kesler, who had a very uncommon journey to becoming a top forward.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Rumsfeld wrote: Or were the pimply-faced little twat-nozzles at HF just talking out their asses as usual?
Pretty much this. Pre-draft HF considered Shinkaruk to a combination of Patrick Kane hands with Parise work ethic, now that he's Canucks property he'll be lucky if he ever makes the NHL. Horvat went from being a sure thing future captain to "he's a good two way centre who won't put up too many points." Lastly Gaunce will never be more than a 3rd line centre.

Oh and HF also said Shinkaruk has questionable compete levels whereas TSN gave him an elite level compete level during the draft.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Rumsfeld wrote: So I don't follow Junior very closely but I've noticed that the hype around Gaunce has died down quite a bit. Everybody was creaming themselves over him after we drafted and for the following year, so I'm wondering... has he regressed in his development a bit? Or were the pimply-faced little twat-nozzles at HF just talking out their asses as usual?

I always saw him as a player with the potential to be a really solid third-line center but that's about it... I tend to be pretty level-headed about draftees and not assume every one of them is the second coming of Ryan Kesler, who had a very uncommon journey to becoming a top forward.
I think most people still see him as a weak second, very strong 3rd line Centre. He's a bubble guy for the Canadian Junior team.

I'm not sure that people have sold him out, but the two guys we recently picked up are both more enticing prospects. Horvat can do everything better than Gaunce while being a similar style of player, and Shinkaruk is one of the best offensive talents in junior hockey.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:Yeah, he is REALLY skinny, even for a Junior player.

So I don't follow Junior very closely but I've noticed that the hype around Gaunce has died down quite a bit. Everybody was creaming themselves over him after we drafted and for the following year, so I'm wondering... has he regressed in his development a bit? Or were the pimply-faced little twat-nozzles at HF just talking out their asses as usual?

I believe that Horvat and Shinkaruk just took the spotlight from Gaunce rather than he regressed in his development.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

WTF? Gaunce just finished a great playoff run with Belleville where he scored 22 points in 17 games played, including 8 goals. He also just put up four points in two games at Canada’s most recent junior camp in Lake Placid.

If anything his stock has risen.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BoHo is this years model.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

herb wrote:WTF? Gaunce just finished a great playoff run with Belleville where he scored 22 points in 17 games played, including 8 goals. He also just put up four points in two games at Canada’s most recent junior camp in Lake Placid.

If anything his stock has risen.
but, we can't talk about the positives, otherwise, we will miss him if he gets traded, and it will be hard to insult him when he is in another jersey. Think small, and think negative. It is so much easier that looking for the positives, my friend.

Just remember the mantra of our under-achieving self-loathing fans. Our offense sucks. Our defense sucks. Our goalie sucks. Our coach sucks. Out gm sucks. Our scouting department sucks. Our prospects suck. Our jersey sucks. Our Special teams suck. Our fans suck. Our record sucks. Re-alignment sucks. Betmann sucks (OK, that last one is true).
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!