Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Post by 2Fingers »

Call me stupid but as a Canuck fan when I see what he can do and the potential from him why do I have this feeling of overwhelming doom that something bad will happen???

So 1 more year in junior and then the big team or does he need a year in the AHL?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Why even put that into the universe? :mad:

Horvat is gonna be a star player in this league!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reefer2 wrote:Call me stupid but as a Canuck fan when I see what he can do and the potential from him why do I have this feeling of overwhelming doom that something bad will happen???

So 1 more year in junior and then the big team or does he need a year in the AHL?
So much ,IMHO, depends upon the year JS has. If he shows he belongs here I can see the Canucks letting Horvat get at least one year in Utica. If JS goes the way of Grabner then ya I think you see Bo on this Team next year. I do think Shinky has a better chance of making the team next year as we can always use a sniper up front, and if we had not picked up Dalpne and Stanton Shinky would have gotten his 10 games this year.

Of course if we let the twins walk I'd expect to see both kids next year whether they are ready or not. Let's just hope they don't' turn out to be the incarnation of Holden and Druken :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Reefer2 wrote:Call me stupid but as a Canuck fan when I see what he can do and the potential from him why do I have this feeling of overwhelming doom that something bad will happen???
Because it's you, man. You've been posting stuff like this for seven frickin' years now (as long as I've been around anyway)..
Who knows. About the only thing we know is that next year is another NHL or OHL year for Horvat (and Shinkaruk of course), just like this year was for Gaunce.

Next year Gaunce will debut in the AHL if he cannot make the big club and the year after that Horvat and Shinkaruk will too.

My guess is that Horvat is worth a nine game look at the very least next year, although we've seen the team doesn't like using roster spots for that purpose if it means losing out on depth for the rest of the year (ie. waiving a semi-serviceable player).
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:

So much ,IMHO, depends upon the year JS has. If he shows he belongs here I can see the Canucks letting Horvat get at least one year in Utica. If JS goes the way of Grabner then ya I think you see Bo on this Team next year. I do think Shinky has a better chance of making the team next year as we can always use a sniper up front, and if we had not picked up Dalpne and Stanton Shinky would have gotten his 10 games this year.

Of course if we let the twins walk I'd expect to see both kids next year whether they are ready or not. Let's just hope they don't' turn out to be the incarnation of Holden and Druken :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:
Forget about the smurf, he will not be a regular for the Canucks, he's just too small and unless he learned from Roy last year he does not have a role on the team. A body to hold a spot on the bench for BoHo!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dbr wrote: Next year Gaunce will debut in the AHL if he cannot make the big club and the year after that Horvat and Shinkaruk will too.
If Gaunce can add quickness to his first step, he will stick. That can be worked on...look at the twins. Once they improved this aspect of their game they started dominating
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

dbr wrote:
Because it's you, man. You've been posting stuff like this for seven frickin' years now (as long as I've been around anyway)..
Who knows. About the only thing we know is that next year is another NHL or OHL year for Horvat (and Shinkaruk of course), just like this year was for Gaunce.
Hey at least I am consistent. 8-)

But this guy looks and feels different and I think will be in a good position to take a top 6 position within a couple years.
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Not fair to Luc Bourdon

I could give two shits about fair. Kopitar is one of the best players in the NHL. Bourdon was a 4/5 d man if he panned out. It was a terrible pick and i said it at the time.
Way offside Blob.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

How is it offside ? You pass on a top 10 stud centre for a very average defenceman. That is called a horrible day at the draft.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:How is it offside ? You pass on a top 10 stud centre for a very average defenceman. That is called a horrible day at the draft.
There is no way of knowing that Luc Bourdon would have been a "very average" defenseman.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

You're right . He could have been another Andrew Alberts.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:You're right . He could have been another Andrew Alberts.
Or, he could've been pretty damned good.

Sedin twins didn't get good until the age of 26.

Naslund didn't break out until the age of 26 as well.

People still have high hopes for Edler and he's around that age as well.

How are we to know that Bourdon wouldn't have done the same?

Remember his very first training camp in Van? The guy came out on fire and had some very big hits if I recall correctly. Granted - his second training camp was a letdown, but there's just no way of knowing or predicting how he would have panned out.

Defensemen usually take longer to develop.

Kopitar is a fucking stud though.........no argument from me there.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
dbr wrote: Next year Gaunce will debut in the AHL if he cannot make the big club and the year after that Horvat and Shinkaruk will too.
If Gaunce can add quickness to his first step, he will stick. That can be worked on...look at the twins. Once they improved this aspect of their game they started dominating
Gaunce need more then a better first step.

He isn't physical at all, and there is very little pace to his game.

The guys doesn't have the offensive game to play in the top 6 and I don't know of any good bottom 6 centres who aren't physical and play at the plodding pace that Gaunce does.

Was nice that he score a couple goals in camp but to me he is a very questionable prospect.
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

The thread is about Horvat why are you guys talking about Brendan Gaunce ?
FWIW the kid is 19 and looks like a decent bet to make team Canada.

It's a bit early to write him off at that age but Horvat is a much better prospect and has better tools.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Art Vandelay wrote:The thread is about Horvat why are you guys talking about Brendan Gaunce ?
FWIW the kid is 19 and looks like a decent bet to make team Canada.

It's a bit early to write him off
Who wrote him off?