Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby ukcanuck » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:40 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:RoyalDude wrote:
Sedin
Sedin
Kesler
Burrows
Hansen
Bieksa
Edler
Luongo

Take these 8 off the team and we are worse than Buffalo and Edmonton combined.


Besides being "past management" gets for the team, what else do these guys have in common?

I know you wanna say it Dude! Come on, get it out. Shy?

OK I'll let you off the hook. What they all have in common is that MG got all of them re-signed. Yep, didn't lose one to FA, not a one. I know I know , for some reason that doesn't count when assessing the entire body of a GM's work but you count it when one gets away, like Ehrhoff.


Am I the only one who thinks that the only people who can take credit for the Sedins are the Sedins. there was a time when (nearly) everyone had written them off. too slow, too soft, too small etc... Sure they had potential coming out of Sweden at the time but no way Burke knew what they would become.

Same with Burrows

and I remember sitting on a deck in Fort St John two weeks before the Luongo trade and joking about "if I were Nonis I'd offer florida whatever to get him" it was so obvious that Nonis probably could have gotten great trade advice over at bountiful on that deal. And he was lucky as shit that they bit on his offer...

so lets pare that list down to
Kesler
Bieksa
Hansen
and Edler..
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby ClamRussel » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:30 pm

ukcanuck wrote:and I remember sitting on a deck in Fort St John two weeks before the Luongo trade and joking about "if I were Nonis I'd offer florida whatever to get him" it was so obvious that Nonis probably could have gotten great trade advice over at bountiful on that deal. And he was lucky as shit that they bit on his offer...


I remember hearing an interview w/ McGuire the day before that trade happened (it had already possibly happened but not yet announced)...rumours were heating up w/ callers etc...McGuire more or less says "Canuck fans, get it through your heads, Luongo is NOT being traded to Vancouver PERIOD!" I always wished the Team would replay that quote. Within 24 hrs the deal was announced the day before the draft.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3633
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:52 pm

RoyalDude wrote:

I hear bra, how about this, rank the players on the team, best to worst

Let me have a gander

Sedin
Sedin
Kesler
Luongo
Burrows
Hamhius
Bieksa
Edler
Higgins
Garrison
Santorelli
Hansen
Tanev
Stanton
Lack
Weise
Richardson
Kassian
Sestito
Booth

7 of the top 10 are previous management players...but more importantly, the best 5 players on this team are previous managements Gems.


Anyone that thinks Burrows is a better player than Hamhuis is a bloody idiot. Your whole list is maybe 50 % accurate. Not bad for a crackhead though I guess.
User avatar
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby Arachnid » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:59 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

I hear bra, how about this, rank the players on the team, best to worst

Let me have a gander

Sedin
Sedin
Kesler
Luongo
Burrows
Hamhius
Bieksa
Edler
Higgins
Garrison
Santorelli
Hansen
Tanev
Stanton
Lack
Weise
Richardson
Kassian
Sestito
Booth

7 of the top 10 are previous management players...but more importantly, the best 5 players on this team are previous managements Gems.


Anyone that thinks Burrows is a better player than Hamhuis is a bloody idiot. Your whole list is maybe 50 % accurate. Not bad for a crackhead though I guess.


Hey :evil:

You leave our village tool alone!

If our worst player is Booth, we have a pretty good team I'd say...say...8th overall and 6 points and closing in on top 3

Can you say ELITE Don?! :mrgreen:
Socks are dead puppets :(
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4907
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby Betamax » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:28 pm

So, in the latest Province Provies,

re: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/04/10 ... blogmodel/

Botchford suggested the following:

BEST IDEA

Maybe the first big move for the Lord and his new GM is a Kesler trade, but there is something more pressing.
If the Jets really are going to trade Evander Kane, and the odds are still long, the Canucks have to be all-in. And not the Ray Shero “Sutter and a couple of shitty picks for Kesler” all-in.

The Canucks need to be “we’re building a package around Bo Horvat our only blue chip prospect” all in.
Even then, they’d have to cross their fingers and hope all those me-first attitude rumours floating out of Winnipeg are enough to get Kane on a bunch of GM’s don’t-touch lists.

They also have to hope LA doesn’t cut the line and land him for some bargain bin price, because that just seems like something LA would somehow be able to do.

If the stories are true that Kane really has wanted to play in Van, it would be pretty fitting. The one time the Canucks need a player to have a NTC, he doesn’t got one.


Although Horvat is a good prospect, I don't think right now the Jets would be too interested in a prospect but would want roster players back.

IMO, "all in" for Canucks would be to give them their prodigal son, i.e. Kassian and obviously you would have to add at least another young roster player with good upside (the Canucks don't exactly have too many -- maybe one other player), i.e. Tanev for the Jets to not hang up the phone when/if Trev et al. makes the call to gauge the Jets' interest in moving "The Real Deal" Evander Kane.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:36 pm

I think it would have to start with Horvat pluse Tanev/Stanton/Corrado. From there a draft pick. You maybe sweeten it with JS and or Hansen. Trevor would know a lot about Kane and his personality.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3607
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby Betamax » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:45 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:I think it would have to start with Horvat pluse Tanev/Stanton/Corrado. From there a draft pick. You maybe sweeten it with JS and or Hansen. Trevor would know a lot about Kane and his personality.


Of your list, maybe Horvat and Tanev could get them interested. I don't think Stanton and Corrado come close to Tanev in terms of value or interest with the Jets. The Jets are also pressured by their fanbase to make it to the dance, sooner rather than later, so I don't think they are too keen on just getting a prospect (albeit a "blue chipper") and a couple of picks for an established top young star in Kane. I'm quite bullish on Tanev, so if it's Horvat and Corrado and maybe a 2nd, I'd pull the trigger, but I don't think the Jets would, given their situation of probably wanting a young roster player(s) back they can count on helping them next season.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby Tciso » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:25 pm

Why would we trade Horvat before we know what we have? The Kesler thread is discussing trading Kes. I think Kesler for Kane might be a good fit for both clubs. Kesler brings leadership, and Kane brings youth, potential, and a big contract. Kinda a win-win.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:28 pm

Tciso wrote:Why would we trade Horvat before we know what we have? The Kesler thread is discussing trading Kes. I think Kesler for Kane might be a good fit for both clubs. Kesler brings leadership, and Kane brings youth, potential, and a big contract. Kinda a win-win.


Why the hell would Kesler waive for Winterpeg? Not a chance.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4038
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby Betamax » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:45 am

Tciso wrote:Why would we trade Horvat before we know what we have? The Kesler thread is discussing trading Kes. I think Kesler for Kane might be a good fit for both clubs. Kesler brings leadership, and Kane brings youth, potential, and a big contract. Kinda a win-win.


That's like why did the Canucks trade their franchise goalie in The Cory for a prospect when they were in win now mode?

Kane is a somewhat risky proposition, given off-ice issues. If they think it's just a product of being young and he'll mature and become an Iggy type player, yeah ... you gotta go "All-In", IMO.

The only players on the roster that would interest the Jets, IMO, for a potential Kane trade that don't have NTCs are Kassian, Tanev.

I'm not sure this qualifies as "All-In'" but a Horvat, Corrado, Hansen and a 2nd for Kane ... I'd do it. Do you think that the Jets would be interested in that type of package?
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby Diehard1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:21 am

There would be no reason, none at all, to trade Horvat plus a high draft pick for a guy like Kane. Horvat's cheap for the next 3 seasons and a center is badly needed, especially if Kesler is moving on. Kane is on a $5.25 million a season contract, had an off year and had major attitude issues with two different coaches. If you can get him for a roster player and one of the young guys - Gaunce, etc then maybe, but why give up youth for him when you finally start to get a decent amount of it?

I've watched Horvat over 10 times this season, he's the best player on London and plays a very NHL ready game. Very good defensively, the best faceoff guy in the OHL and close to if not already ready for the NHL - why trade him now? London doesn't give a ton of icetime to its top players like a lot of the other junior teams do, they play all their lines so keep that in mind when looking at Horvat's production.

If they want to go after Kane that's fine, but Horvat and the 2014 pick should be off limits. If you can't get him without including those you move on and find a free agent or less expensive player to acquire via trade.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby theman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:29 am

Diehard1 wrote:There would be no reason, none at all, to trade Horvat plus a high draft pick for a guy like Kane. Horvat's cheap for the next 3 seasons and a center is badly needed, especially if Kesler is moving on. Kane is on a $5.25 million a season contract, had an off year and had major attitude issues with two different coaches. If you can get him for a roster player and one of the young guys - Gaunce, etc then maybe, but why give up youth for him when you finally start to get a decent amount of it?

I've watched Horvat over 10 times this season, he's the best player on London and plays a very NHL ready game. Very good defensively, the best faceoff guy in the OHL and close to if not already ready for the NHL - why trade him now? London doesn't give a ton of icetime to its top players like a lot of the other junior teams do, they play all their lines so keep that in mind when looking at Horvat's production.

If they want to go after Kane that's fine, but Horvat and the 2014 pick should be off limits. If you can't get him without including those you move on and find a free agent or less expensive player to acquire via trade.



Agree, and to be honest, when considering Kane's attitude problems, I am not sure I would even want him on the Canucks.
theman
CC Rookie
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby Tciso » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:12 am

I just don't see the value in trading Horvat right now. He has too much up-side. If we were Edmonton,I'd trade a Horvat for a Kane in a heartbeat, as they need to mature. But, we are moving towards youth, so trading Horvat for anyone tradeable seems kinda stupid. oh, and what Diehard said.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby Arachnid » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:18 am

Tciso wrote:I just don't see the value in trading Horvat right now. He has too much up-side. If we were Edmonton,I'd trade a Horvat for a Kane in a heartbeat, as they need to mature. But, we are moving towards youth, so trading Horvat for anyone tradeable seems kinda stupid. oh, and what Diehard said.


We could trade our 1st rounder this year though......win win....
Socks are dead puppets :(
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4907
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Postby Arachnid » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:28 am

theman wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:There would be no reason, none at all, to trade Horvat plus a high draft pick for a guy like Kane. Horvat's cheap for the next 3 seasons and a center is badly needed, especially if Kesler is moving on. Kane is on a $5.25 million a season contract, had an off year and had major attitude issues with two different coaches. If you can get him for a roster player and one of the young guys - Gaunce, etc then maybe, but why give up youth for him when you finally start to get a decent amount of it?

I've watched Horvat over 10 times this season, he's the best player on London and plays a very NHL ready game. Very good defensively, the best faceoff guy in the OHL and close to if not already ready for the NHL - why trade him now? London doesn't give a ton of icetime to its top players like a lot of the other junior teams do, they play all their lines so keep that in mind when looking at Horvat's production.

If they want to go after Kane that's fine, but Horvat and the 2014 pick should be off limits. If you can't get him without including those you move on and find a free agent or less expensive player to acquire via trade.



Agree, and to be honest, when considering Kane's attitude problems, I am not sure I would even want him on the Canucks.


Jesus, we need help scoring, we have 6th pick this year and no guarantee that help is on it's way anytime soon.

We trade a 6th pick this year for a very young proven NHL scoring winger and former 4th pick and we get Torts to straighten him out.
He's a hometown boy to boot.

What debate is there? A change of scenery is all it took Carter in LA.
Socks are dead puppets :(
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4907
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 7 guests