Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Post by Art Vandelay »

You called him a very questionable prospect. I believe he has more to give.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Art Vandelay wrote:The thread is about Horvat why are you guys talking about Brendan Gaunce ?
Just roll with it Fart, stop being a fucking gay hall monitor with a whistle and clipboard
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
dbr wrote: Next year Gaunce will debut in the AHL if he cannot make the big club and the year after that Horvat and Shinkaruk will too.
If Gaunce can add quickness to his first step, he will stick. That can be worked on...look at the twins. Once they improved this aspect of their game they started dominating
Gaunce need more then a better first step.

He isn't physical at all, and there is very little pace to his game.

The guys doesn't have the offensive game to play in the top 6 and I don't know of any good bottom 6 centres who aren't physical and play at the plodding pace that Gaunce does.

Was nice that he score a couple goals in camp but to me he is a very questionable prospect.
Starting to agree with you pot, regarding Gaunce. It seems that you may be right about cassels, off to a flying start in th me O
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

ROYALDUDE you have clearly lost the plot here. The discussion in this thread is about Bo Horvat.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Potatoe1 wrote: Gaunce need more then a better first step.

He isn't physical at all, and there is very little pace to his game.

The guys doesn't have the offensive game to play in the top 6 and I don't know of any good bottom 6 centres who aren't physical and play at the plodding pace that Gaunce does.

Was nice that he score a couple goals in camp but to me he is a very questionable prospect.
Didn't you dismiss scouting reports on Gaunce having skating issues before because you watched a couple of videos of him skating? :lol:

Regardless, I disagree. Gaunce is a strong skater with a strong skating stride, has very good hockey sense, and is a very advanced defensive player. If he can improve his first step and foot speed that naturally improves his seemingly "plodding pace". Sure if he can't improve his first step and foot speed he's going to have trouble coping with the NHL pace, but if he does manage to improve then what will prevent him from becoming an NHL player? There's a reason Gaunce is highly regarded and was a consensus first round pick. Besides skating issues, Gaunce is close to a total package. This is not a guy who is known to process the game slowly. He might not initiate physical contact as much as we like but he has very good size and is someone who is known for being tenacious on the puck and wins most of his puck battles. And one of the reasons he was able to score a couple of goals during the preseason is due to the fact he has an excellent sense of where to be on the ice and has a quick release.

I think it's way too early to call Gaunce a questionable prospect. The NHL pace is much quicker and not every prospect, especially a player with weakness in foot speed and first step, can adjust to the pace their first and second NHL camp. Gaunce isn't ready for the NHL right now but that doesn't mean he won't become comfortable with the NHL pace and reach his NHL potential.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Art Vandelay wrote:ROYALDUDE you have clearly lost the plot here. The discussion in this thread is about Bo Horvat.
Dude reads off his own script. Usually something like this:

Bash Gillis' trades. Bash Gillis' draft picks. Bash the Canucks play, blame Gillis. Credit Burke/Nonis for anything good about the Canucks, bash Gillis for all things bad. Gillis' experience as a player agent is an abomination and a disgrace to the franchise. Anything Gillis touches is shit. Any team that beats the Canucks obviously has better management, and has had better management forever and always will so long as Gillis is in charge. Teams that draft higher than the Canucks have better prospects, this is Gillis' fault for not getting better draft picks. Gillis' personal hygiene is disgusting, and is impacting on-ice performance.

In any, and every thread, Dude must point all these facts out. To stray off script would damage his sterling credibility.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

My thought on Gillis is that most of what he did before 2011 was incredible. I would even go as far as saying that he was one of the best GM's in the league before 2011.

-He brought Sundin here. People can knock this all they want, but Sundin was a great signing and it cost us nothing. Sundin helped mold Kesler.......and while Sundin wasn't at his usual scoring pace during the regular season (and given his age and long time away from the game without a training camp, no one would)......but he was a PPG player during the playoffs.

-Erhoff trade was a stroke of genius.

-Torres signing was very shrewd, and the Lapierre trade was also a good one for that year.

Gillis also helped secure our core at very good cap hits.

In theory, the Ballard trade was a good one......it was Ballard's fault for not adjusting to our system.

Post 2011.......yeah, he's had some stinkers, and has made some questionable moves.

-Overestimating Luongo's worth.

-Hodgson for Kassian deal (strange timing and strange move considering where the Canucks were with their window).

-I actually like what Gillis did with the Booth deal, but Booth has just had a lot of bad luck health wise. If he gets back on track however, this deal could still pay off. Booth is still young enough to get back to living up to his potential.

Aside from that though, I think the hiring of Torts was good for the team. He brought in Santorelli, and Richardson is a more honest player than Lapierre.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Knight wrote: In theory, the Ballard trade was a good one......it was Ballard's fault for not adjusting to our system.
Wrong and Wrong
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Dude reads off his own script. Usually something like this:

Bash Gillis' trades. Bash Gillis' draft picks. Bash the Canucks play, blame Gillis. Credit Burke/Nonis for anything good about the Canucks, bash Gillis for all things bad. Gillis' experience as a player agent is an abomination and a disgrace to the franchise. Anything Gillis touches is shit. Any team that beats the Canucks obviously has better management, and has had better management forever and always will so long as Gillis is in charge. Teams that draft higher than the Canucks have better prospects, this is Gillis' fault for not getting better draft picks. Gillis' personal hygiene is disgusting, and is impacting on-ice performance.

In any, and every thread, Dude must point all these facts out. To stray off script would damage his sterling credibility.
I see you are leading the way this beautiful Saturday Morning here at the CC with the what I call - Weird Gillis Love
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

RoyalDude wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote: In theory, the Ballard trade was a good one......it was Ballard's fault for not adjusting to our system.
Wrong and Wrong
Interested to hear your view:

From my perspective, Ballard played fairly well in Florida. Why wouldn't Gillis be interested?

Hamhuis and Ballard came around the same time (speaking of which, I just remembered that Gillis signed Hamhuis..........a great signing IMO).

Why was Hamhuis able to adjust so well to our system while Ballard did not? Is that Mike Gillis' fault?

The Dark Indian Rises
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Knight wrote:
-Hodgson for Kassian deal (strange timing and strange move considering where the Canucks were with their window).
Ya just don't trade an NHL top 6 offensive talent at the time with blessed hockey skills and hockey sense for a troubled project playing in Rochester of the AHL. Like I said, I like Kassian but I question his desire for the game. CoHo is no better with his off ice arrogance but Gillis should have packaged CoHo along with say Luongo for a real top notch top 6 forward in which we severely lack, sort of like Dougy Wilson packaging prized prospect - Charlie Coyle for Brent Burns. When you trade top young talent you best be getting something worthwhile back in the way of top 6 talent. So far Kassian is not that. Still early, but the trade was wrong for this team. WE CAN'T SCORE AGAINST ELITE TEAMS!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Knight wrote: Why was Hamhuis able to adjust so well to our system while Ballard did not? Is that Mike Gillis' fault?
Um well, cause Ballard has always been known as an unpredictable dumb ass on the ice playing his own game instead of the team game and Hamhius, pretty much the opposite has been known as a sound, stable d-man with great hockey sense. Does that help? I know you might like to think so, along with the rest of the Weird Gillis Love here, but I did not make that up Great Brown Knight of Gotham.

You are egging me, BK...Hamhius Mr. British Columbia wanted to come home, the signing wasn't a coup, just like the Garrison signing. But hey, I acutally like Gillis work on the FA market when it comes to our D - Tanev, Garrison and Hamhius...I will give him that but he fucking sucks at fixing our scoring woes cause he is fucking obsessed with the Bottom 6 like they are what drives the fucking bus.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Knight wrote: -I actually like what Gillis did with the Booth deal, but Booth has just had a lot of bad luck health wise. If he gets back on track however, this deal could still pay off. Booth is still young enough to get back to living up to his potential.

Ain't happening, I would say we have a better chance of Jesus Christ re-appearing than that happening. I mean, how long has this been going on with Booth? I mean according to some, David is gonna wake up on the cusp of 30 years old and be an amazing hockey player. Like he just figured it out.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

RoyalDude wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:
Ya just don't trade an NHL top 6 offensive talent at the time with blessed hockey skills and hockey sense for a troubled project playing in Rochester of the AHL. Like I said, I like Kassian but I question his desire for the game. CoHo is no better with his off ice arrogance but Gillis should have packaged CoHo along with say Luongo for a real top notch top 6 forward in which we severely lack, sort of like Dougy Wilson packaging prized prospect - Charlie Coyle for Brent Burns. When you trade top young talent you best be getting something worthwhile back in the way of top 6 talent. So far Kassian is not that. Still early, but the trade was wrong for this team. WE CAN'T SCORE AGAINST ELITE TEAMS!
I completely agree with this 100%.

I don't think I said otherwise though? :?:

Regardless, no argument from me on this one. I feel the exact same way.

The Dark Indian Rises
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Knight wrote:
-Erhoff trade was a stroke of genius.
Then he shit the bed by letting him walk because we had Minnesota's Keith Ballard who's contract we just bought out. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Our offense took a serious hit when Gillis backed off from signing him. That's when our scoring woes started to rear it's ugly head and Edler's game went south.