Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Post by 2Fingers »

Kassian/Tanev for Kane, I would do it tomorrow.

We send an unknown in Kassian for a known in Kane. Easy deal to make.

Tanev, don't want to lose him but you have to make some tough decisions sometimes.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Reefer2 wrote:Kassian/Tanev for Kane, I would do it tomorrow.

Tanev, don't want to lose him but you have to make some tough decisions sometimes.
The Kassian at the beginning of the 2013/14 season, yes.
The Kassian at the end of the 2013/14 season, no.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Jovocop wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Kassian/Tanev for Kane, I would do it tomorrow.

The Kassian at the beginning of the 2013/14 season, yes.
The Kassian at the end of the 2013/14 season, no.
Well, if the Canucks' want to pattern themselves after the Bruins model, having both Kassian and E. Kane on the team in front line roles would seem like a step in the right direction. There around the same age, and if they both develop consistency and mature off-the ice, the Canucks' could have a MONSTER team one day.

Edit: Also, according to Botchford, Meehan also reps E. Kane ... and use to also be the agent for Linden and I think still has ties to him. So you can connect the dots ....... here. So Linden "unofficially" could know what's really happening with the relationship between the Jets and E. Kane or lack there of and if he's being shopped on the market.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You guys are morons for suggesting trading the likes of Horvat, Tanev or our 6th in some sort of package for the head case Kane. Why don't we just relax and do a good ole grass roots patience rebuild by giving our prospects the vote if confidence that you were born s Canuck and shall remain one, lets build a family and stop wanting yo adopt troubled kids from other franchises, holy fuck. Draft and Develop, patience is a virtue.

Archivist. Your cue
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:You guys are morons for suggesting trading the likes of Horvat, Tanev or our 6th in some sort of package for the head case Kane. Why don't we just relax and do a good ole grass roots patience rebuild by giving our prospects the vote if confidence that you were born s Canuck and shall remain one, lets build a family and stop wanting yo adopt troubled kids from other franchises, holy fuck. Draft and Develop, patience is a virtue.
This. So much This. We don't have the luxury of trading our blue-chippers for established guys right, we aren't deep enough. We need to develop our own prospects to that they can become the next wave, not hope someone else does it for us.

BTW, count me as one that questions Kane's work ethic and personality issues. Not sure he'd be a great fit under the microscope here in Vancouver. Who knows if he can become a consistent 30-goal guy, but he was a 55ish-point (pace) player the past 2 seasons, and I'm fairly confident Horvat can come close to that, while being a great 2-way player for us in the future.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:You guys are morons for suggesting trading the likes of Horvat, Tanev or our 6th in some sort of package for the head case Kane. Why don't we just relax and do a good ole grass roots patience rebuild by giving our prospects the vote if confidence that you were born s Canuck and shall remain one, lets build a family and stop wanting yo adopt troubled kids from other franchises, holy fuck. Draft and Develop, patience is a virtue.

Archivist. Your cue
No righteous archivist needed...you're the same idiot that liked the Booth trade to begin with :crazy:

You [mod edit]...you just don't want your step-daughter near his blinged-out dirty dangle :P

'sides, if we unload Kesler & Edler on the Jets we still have plenty of future.

You can't get that kind of talent and if we have one shot....we take it and deal with any issues afterwards.

We straightened Zack out didn't we?

Kane will be able...

:eh:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
This. So much This. We don't have the luxury of trading our blue-chippers for established guys right, we aren't deep enough. We need to develop our own prospects to that they can become the next wave, not hope someone else does it for us.

BTW, count me as one that questions Kane's work ethic and personality issues. Not sure he'd be a great fit under the microscope here in Vancouver. Who knows if he can become a consistent 30-goal guy, but he was a 55ish-point (pace) player the past 2 seasons, and I'm fairly confident Horvat can come close to that, while being a great 2-way player for us in the future.
I'd prefer to deal the #6 pick in a package and keep Horvat since he appears to be ready next season to be at least a bottom six contributor. But still, under the Sedins' 4 year window, there's a Hell of a lot better chance that Evander will be an impact player over any of the supposed "blue chip" prospects selected under the watch of the Canucks' esteemed scouting staff.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The window is gone. It's time to open a new one.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yes and the Jets were that much better than us with Kane. Wait we could make a 2nd line of Kesler, Booth and Kane and call it Three Blind Mice. Yes Sherlock, do the deal! Horvat and our 6th pick for Kane - Cam Neely trade part 2. Brilliant Batman ! Fuck you Harry Neale we will blow that Neely deal out of the water on worst Canucks trade of all time!

Cue the archivist
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Reefer2 wrote:We send an unknown in Kassian for a known in Kane. Easy deal to make.
He's known to be a complete train wreck off the ice.

Don't get me wrong, I'd want him on the Canucks if the price is right, I'm just saying...

Team got sick of Shane O'Brien's shit fast. I know O'Brien never potted 30 goals, but still. We seem to forget how much "fun" it is watching a player getting regularly scratched for behavioral issues and missing practice.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Betamax wrote:But still, under the Sedins' 4 year window, there's a Hell of a lot better chance that Evander will be an impact player over any of the supposed "blue chip" prospects selected under the watch of the Canucks' esteemed scouting staff.
Agreed, but at this point we need to look to the future. From merely an asset management viewpoint, moving the 6th overall choice plus more assets for Kane doesn't seem wise to me, for a couple reasons beyond the concerns about his personality.

For one, the salary cap. His $5.2M cap-hit isn't onerous if he plays up to his 50-point self, and he does have 4 years remaining, but there's no control from there. Summer of 2018 he could walk as a UFA along with the Sedins. At that point we're looking at yet another rebuild, at precisely the time our 6th overall pick should be hitting his stride or (if we're lucky) negotiating an RFA extension.

Chances are one or several of Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Kassian and/or whoever we get at 6 overall is in a top-6 scoring role by then, and we should be better positioned to transition from the "Sedin" era. In this case, I think keeping all our young guys, and banking on them coming into their own as bonafide Canucks drafted/developed players is better than dealing multiple pieces away for a guy with more than a few question marks surrounding his game/personality.

I would be much more comfortable moving one of our veteran guys like Kesler or Edler in a package for Kane, but obviously NTC's prevent that.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

If a waive and the right team agrees to a 3 way ....it works
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

Arachnid wrote:

Archivist. Your cue
No righteous archivist needed...you're the same idiot that liked the Booth trade to begin with :crazy:

You [mod edit]...you just don't want your step-daughter near his blinged-out dirty dangle :P

'sides, if we unload Kesler & Edler on the Jets we still have plenty of future.

You can't get that kind of talent and if we have one shot....we take it and deal with any issues afterwards.

We straightened Zack out didn't we?

Kane will be able...

:eh:
Kesler going to Winnipeg has about as much chance as a driver in Winnipeg not hitting a pothole
more cap space!
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Why does everyone want to trade away quality for softness or headcases. Kane might be a very talented player but his private life will eventually catch up to his abilities on the ice. Keep the 6th over all pick and take a physical player like Ritchie or Virtanen. Under no circumstances do you trade a blue chipper like Horvat for anyone who isn't on the verge of stardom and has no "issues." The only feasible trade would be to use Edler to move up for Reinhart otherwise don't make a trade. You build one brick at a time.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Canuck-One wrote:Why does everyone want to trade away quality for softness or headcases. Kane might be a very talented player but his private life will eventually catch up to his abilities on the ice. Keep the 6th over all pick and take a physical player like Ritchie or Virtanen. Under no circumstances do you trade a blue chipper like Horvat for anyone who isn't on the verge of stardom and has no "issues." The only feasible trade would be to use Edler to move up for Reinhart otherwise don't make a trade. You build one brick at a time.
Well, the issue with Horvat is what his upside potential is. He's projected to be a 2nd line centre or high end 3rd liner centre. While with E. Kane, his upside is of a 1st line winger and he's already proven he can produce at the NHL level.

As for a "feasible" trade, I wouldn't trade Edler and 6th to move up for an unproven prospect in Reinhart.