MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Postby Meds » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:44 am

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Luongo has won 6 playoff series for the Canucks as starter
Cory is 1-5 in playoff starts

Luongo is also 0-6 in his last 6 playoff starts.

You're talking about Cory's first ever playoff starts. Lu's came with a shitload of experience. Not to mention with 2 opportunities to win a Cup and at a start of a couple of 0-0 series openers. Cory's starts? His first ever comes after Lu blows 2 games hideously following a 3-0 series lead, in a loud hostile Chicago building..about the most intense pressure anyone can imagine. His other 5 starts come in similarly desperate situations when the team was down 0-2 in two series, one of which he was thrust in straight off an injury.

Are we seriously going to judge his playoff performance under those circumstances??

Luongo's first ever playoff series he stole from Dallas and carried an under performing Canucks team into the second round. He was amazing. He was equally as good against Anaheim in the second round, and his play was the only reason a few of us kept the candle of hope burning in that round.

If you look at Luongo's meltdowns in the playoffs, almost all of them start with him letting in a goal he should have had and then the team in front of him folds up like a cheap tent and he is completely hung out to dry.

In almost every game in which Luongo has been pulled he returns the following game and the other team wonders what the fuck did they just run into. In every game where he has been lit up and left in he struggles for a few games to regain his confidence. As a related aside, this was one more reason why I think Vigneault needed to go and why he was a big reason Lou was so ready to move on.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Vader » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:56 am

ORCA wrote:
I wonder what we'll be talking about in 4 more years :)

1. Bertuzzi / Moore
2. Should Pavel have his # retired?
3. Were the Sedin's true first Liner's?
4. Should AV have used his timeout in the 2007 playoffs
5. Do Linden, Smyl and Naslund deserve to have their #'s retired
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Strangelove » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Meds wrote:... this was one more reason why I think Vigneault needed to go and why he was a big reason Lou was so ready to move on.

Agreed.
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Nuckertuzzi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:33 pm

Meds wrote:Luongo's first ever playoff series he stole from Dallas and carried an under performing Canucks team into the second round. He was amazing. He was equally as good against Anaheim in the second round, and his play was the only reason a few of us kept the candle of hope burning in that round.

I loved that Lu. While I'm a critic of Lu, I'm also a big fan of that Lu, the regular season Lu and the Olympics Gold Medal winning Lu. The thing is while the Stanley Cup isn't the only reason I'm in this, or I would've wasted the past 30+ years of my life, it's still a pretty massive reason and one of the biggest reasons we haven't won it yet is the meltdown version of Lu (to be fair not the ONLY reason but one of the biggest) and that is why I'm such a critic. His meltdowns cost us a Cup and other opportunities for one and I can't let that go.

Meds wrote:If you look at Luongo's meltdowns in the playoffs, almost all of them start with him letting in a goal he should have had and then the team in front of him folds up like a cheap tent and he is completely hung out to dry.

More like he let in goal he should've had, then let in another he should've had, and another. While the team in front is stunned to the point of losing their game. For a machine to work all the parts need to work. When the biggest part isn't working it's damn near impossible for the other parts to keep the machine going.

Meds wrote:In almost every game in which Luongo has been pulled he returns the following game and the other team wonders what the fuck did they just run into. In every game where he has been lit up and left in he struggles for a few games to regain his confidence. As a related aside, this was one more reason why I think Vigneault needed to go and why he was a big reason Lou was so ready to move on.

It's still pretty clear in my memory bank when Lu in game 3 of the Cup Finals, after being shelled for 4 goals, told AV at the bench "don't you dare pull me" to which he got his wish and rewarded the coach with another 4 softies.
Nuckertuzzi
CC Veteran

Postby Meds » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Nuckertuzzi wrote:More like he let in goal he should've had, then let in another he should've had, and another. While the team in front is stunned to the point of losing their game. For a machine to work all the parts need to work. When the biggest part isn't working it's damn near impossible for the other parts to keep the machine going.

I agree on the need for all the parts to be working for the machine.....

There have been 2 games, one in Boston, well probably 2 in Boston, and one in Chicago, where the team was playing that stunned hockey. The first goal is always the softy, and it totally colours the lenses we view the next few through. Regardless, after that first soft goal there were a few he could have had, and certainly we think he should have had if for no other reason than to redeem himself for the first one, but nonetheless, the following goals have almost always been on golden looks at the net for an opposing shooter as the Canucks chased their tails. After watching the games the team put in in front of Lou in games 1 and 2 against LA in 2012, and again this year against the Sharks.....the issue was certainly not Luongo. There was something else at play.....maybe whatever Edler has is contagious. :P

Nuckertuzzi wrote:It's still pretty clear in my memory bank when Lu in game 3 of the Cup Finals, after being shelled for 4 goals, told AV at the bench "don't you dare pull me" to which he got his wish and rewarded the coach with another 4 softies.

What NHL goaltender doesn't respond like that when the coach is waffling about whether or not to replace him? That's why the coach is the coach, he's supposed to call the shots. This was a classic example of why Gillis should have sent Vigneault packing then and there (after game 7 I mean). The inmates were clearly running the asylum and Vigneault was OK with that.

I think Luongo is going to be a VERY different goaltender under John Tortorella.....the whole team is going to be different for that matter.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Zedlee » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Meds wrote:
Nuckertuzzi wrote:
I think Luongo is going to be a VERY different goaltender under John Tortorella.....the whole team is going to be different for that matter.

This.

New coach and a fresh start for Roberto and all the players. I expect Lu to show up and play his heart out for his coach, teammates and fans. Who cares what Gillis thinks? He just has to play hard and collect his fat paycheck.

My concern is what if RL loses his edge and his skills diminish? Or has another playoff meltdown? wtf do we do then?
Zedlee
CC Veteran

Postby herb » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Zedlee wrote:My concern is what if RL loses his edge and his skills diminish? Or has another playoff meltdown? wtf do we do then?

I believe the new saying is "Clear the track, here comes Lack!"

Right Strange? :lol:

Seriously though, after this season, there’s only four more seasons of big dollar money left in Luongo’s contract. I’m sure the hope is that one of Lack, Cannata or Eriksson will become a starting NHL goaltender. As Lack, for example, is groomed into an NHL starter, time passes on Luongo’s contract which means less money is owed which makes trading him easier or buying him out more palatable.

In three or four years, when the cap is at $80+M, we’ll care a lot less if Luongo is a $5.3M back-up goaltender too.

If we get into the playoffs in 2014, and if Luongo has another greasy Italian meltdown, then we better hope to hell Lack has played against some good NHL competition and he is capable of taking the reigns.
Last edited by herb on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby vic » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Nuckertuzzi wrote: His meltdowns cost us a Cup and other opportunities for one and I can't let that go.

The team only scoring 8 goals (2PP GOALS and ZERO in the 7th game AT HOME) had nothing to do with costing the team a cup.
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Strangelove » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:22 pm

herb wrote:
Zedlee wrote:My concern is what if RL loses his edge and his skills diminish? Or has another playoff meltdown? wtf do we do then?

I believe the new saying is "Clear the track, here comes Lack!"

Right Strange? :lol:

:thumbs:

herb wrote:Seriously though, after this season, there’s only four more seasons of big dollar money left in Luongo’s contract. I’m sure the hope is that one of Lack, Cannata or Eriksson will become starting NHL goaltenders. As Lack, for example, is groomed into an NHL starter, time passes on Luongo’s contract which means less money is owed which makes trading him easier or buying him out more palatable.

Exactly.

herb wrote:In three or four years, when the cap is at $80+M, we’ll care a lot less if Luongo is a $5.3M back-up goaltender too.

I'll bet it's $90+mil by then.
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby ORCA » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:25 pm

vic wrote:
Nuckertuzzi wrote: His meltdowns cost us a Cup and other opportunities for one and I can't let that go.

The team only scoring 8 goals (2PP GOALS and ZERO in the 7th game AT HOME) had nothing to do with costing the team a cup.

Shhh... you'll mess people up with this logic stuff.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
ORCA
CC Veteran

Postby ORCA » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Strangelove wrote:I'll bet it's $90+mil by then.

I hoep it doesn't get that high.

The talent pool isn't inflating with that pace. Mediocre players in the right circumstance will command 5-6 million just to continue being mediocre :(

I get that its all relative... There's another thread saying how terribad Crappiere wanting 3M is... under a 90M cap he'd get 4 easily. ick.
ORCA
CC Veteran

Postby Strangelove » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:38 pm

ORCA wrote:

The talent pool isn't inflating with that pace. Mediocre players in the right circumstance will command 5-6 million just to continue being mediocre :(

I get that its all relative... There's another thread saying how terribad Crappiere wanting 3M is... under a 90M cap he'd get 4 easily. ick.

Meh, wuddo I care how high the salaries get?

They will still get the same share of the pie.

The pie will be bigger is all.

Oh but Lou's share of the pie will actually get smaller. :thumbs:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby ORCA » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:45 pm

Strangelove wrote:
ORCA wrote:

Meh, wuddo I care how high the salaries get?

They will still get the same share of the pie.

The pie will be bigger is all.

Oh but Lou's share of the pie will actually get smaller. :thumbs:

Thats why we had 1/2 a season. Greedy mammyrammers on both sides.

You're right it doesn't matter, its just kind of sickening to put in perspective.
ORCA
CC Veteran

Postby Reefer2 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Vader wrote:
4. Should AV have used his timeout in the 2007 playoffs

The answer is yes, plus every year after as well, o you can add should he have pulled RL in more games earlier. 8-)
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Nuckertuzzi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:51 pm

ORCA wrote:
vic wrote:The team only scoring 8 goals (2PP GOALS and ZERO in the 7th game AT HOME) had nothing to do with costing the team a cup.

Shhh... you'll mess people up with this logic stuff.

Of course the 8 goals had a lot to do with it. I mentioned the meltdowns weren't the ONLY reason, didn't I??

Lu played 3 outstanding games in the Finals, the other 4 he may as well have sat in the stands and there wouldn't have been much difference. All we needed from him was to show up for 1 more great game when he proved capable of 3. ONE MORE and maybe the teams finds a way to score that extra 9th or 10th goal to win us the Cup. That was the formula for winning the 3 games and that was the formula we needed to use to win the 4th given how incredibly stingy Thomas and the Bruins were..but Lu didn't give them a chance. Is it too much to ask for 1 more game when Thomas gave it his all in each and every one his 7??

Sorry man, if you play 3 great games and completely suck in the other 4 it doesn't matter if the team couldn't score more than 8 goals...you don't get off easy..not in my books..not logically speaking if you want to get into logics.
Nuckertuzzi
CC Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat