MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Postby cjc » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:42 pm

You have to remember the human component here and how much it will affect luongo's play. Guaranteed his wife is livid and not willing to come back here. Makes for a toxic home situation. Luo is poss. Looking at a choice between career and family. I would not be at all surprised if he refuses to report
cjc
CC Veteran

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:58 pm

cjc wrote:You have to remember the human component here and how much it will affect luongo's play. Guaranteed his wife is livid and not willing to come back here. Makes for a toxic home situation. Luo is poss. Looking at a choice between career and family. I would not be at all surprised if he refuses to report

I really don't think any of us know what will happen to the Luongo's. I can't predict that she will not come back to Vancouver. Perhaps they run two households which is not uncommon for pro athletes in other sports. A lot of them keep their family home in different cities and it is not uncommon for wife and kids to sty there during the season. But that aside, by all accounts, his home situation is very settled and all is well in the Luongo household.

No question he wanted a clean start in the East preferable in the State of Florida. That is well documented. Thats the personal side. On the professional side it is also well documented that he wants to be the starter on a team that can contend. It is also documented that he personally loves Vancouver, loves his teammates, which is mutual, and would love to win a cup here.

Roberto is an emotional guy. This is why MG said he wouldn't talk to him until a few days had passed to allow the emotion to calm. This is why waterboy went to Florida. This is why (finally for the love of gawd) Luongo declined to speak to the media.

This is very reminiscent of his days in Florida when they took him to arbitration and he took it personally. Keenan has always said Roberto is well different, he is emotional and takes things too personally. When he was traded here he was in tears. He thought he would be a Panther for life. He and his wife were in the process of building their dream home. He was in shock then too. But he came and he conquered.

Whatever personal decisions the Luongos make they will make. On the professional side he too has options but they kinda suck, sorta like the position MG was in, in trying to trade the guy. MG in the end did what was in the best interest of this team. In the end Roberto will do what is in his best interest too. He will report. He will say all the right things while being as candid as he can. He will show up with a chip on his should against 29 GM's that in his mind didn't want him. He will be playing for the right to represent Canada at the Olympics. He will want a cup with this core. He will start slow and get the whole city in another rant fest then turn it around and everyone will claim that all along they wanted CS traded.

I really do get the personal side and the potential that has to upset the whole balance. But I believe they will find a way to work with it. Thats what professional athletes and their families do.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Reefer2 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:36 pm

2 things

1 - 90% of what has been said about Luongo and his wife is pure speculation and rumours that grow. No one knows what he or his wife is thinking and nor should we even care. Luongo is a professional and for the billions of $$$ he makes playing in the NHL I cannot see that being jeopardized because of his wife wants to live in Florida.

2 - am I a masochist to hope in 3 years we are here again talking about trading Luongo because we have CS V2.0 but only bigger/faster/better? He will only have 2 years at a high cap hit and then it comes down significantly and there is always a team who needs to hit cap floor that is closer to Florida than Vancouver.
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Roberto is an emotional guy. This is why MG said he wouldn't talk to him until a few days had passed to allow the emotion to calm. This is why waterboy went to Florida. This is why (finally for the love of gawd) Luongo declined to speak to the media.

I actually burst out laughing when I read that last sentence with the parentheses. :lol:

Because it's true.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:17 pm

ORCA wrote:
Mondi wrote:4. Gillis (and AV) groomed CS into an elite talent and then let him go. Those who believe he hasn't proved it haven't been watching. The guy has the best SAV% in NHL history.

4. What a completely ridiculous stat. Luongo sits 5th ALL TIME (qualifying criteria of 200 gp) with .919 SAV%. Maintained over 740+ games. He also has an oustide, but possible chance of overtaking Brodeurs ALL TIME shut out record. If Schneider retains .920 and above after another 100 games, then talk about that. Best in NHL history :lol: .... that's like taking Johan Franzen or Claude Lemieux's 1 mega playoff run and comparing them to Gretzky, Crosby, and Mario.

Nice response Orc, I would add that by the time Lou was Cory's age he had played in 341 NHL games.

"Best SAV% in NHL history" :lol:

A quick glance tells me Chad Johnson, for one, is presently ahead of Schneids in "career sv %". :mex:

Also, let's not forget Schneids was the beneficiary of sheltered starts....
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby herb » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:32 pm

I was admittedly a big proponent of keeping Cory and trading Roberto. That being said, the panic attack(s) had me somewhat concerned.

Luongo will be fine. He’s a quirky guy, but at the end of the day he is a pro. He’ll play his 60+ games, be incredibly durable and keep on racking up the wins.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:34 pm

herb wrote:Luongo will be fine. He’s a quirky guy

Seriously, what goaltender isn't?
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Arachnid » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:34 pm

cjc wrote:You have to remember the human component here and how much it will affect luongo's play. Guaranteed his wife is livid and not willing to come back here. Makes for a toxic home situation. Luo is poss. Looking at a choice between career and family. I would not be at all surprised if he refuses to report

+10!

Exactly! The power of the woman! A North American woman! They can make your life miserable. They can make you do things you don't want to do. Like take on a giant mortgage in a part of town outside of your class or make you fake-belive in a religion you have no business being a part of. They are monsters and this is not going to end well..

WORST GENERAL MANAGER IN HISTORY OF CANUCKS!

We will rue the day Cory was traded instead of the wimp-ass management/ownership not buying out Roberto...
Last edited by Arachnid on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Arachnid wrote:+10!

Exactly! The power of the woman! A North American woman! They can make you life miserable. They can make you do things you don't want to do. Like take on a giant mortgage in a part of town outside of your class or make you fake-belive in a religion you have no business being a part of. They are monsters and this is not going to end well..

We will rue the day Cory was traded instead of the wimp-ass management/ownership not buying out Roberto...

All this just because Lou gave you that GET-AWAY-FROM-ME-PSYCHO-look in that bar that night? :mex:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Arachnid » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote:+10!

Exactly! The power of the woman! A North American woman! They can make you life miserable. They can make you do things you don't want to do. Like take on a giant mortgage in a part of town outside of your class or make you fake-belive in a religion you have no business being a part of. They are monsters and this is not going to end well..

All this just because Lou gave you that GET-AWAY-FROM-ME-PSYCHO-look in that bar that night? :mex:

Well that's only half the story...he hit on my girlfriend and when I did my crazy eyes he did his GET-AWAY-FROM-ME-PSYCHO thing, KB was not there to protect him like when Sundin hit on my girlfriend and Domi protected him from me... ;)
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Arachnid » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:02 pm

Spock wrote:*Arachnid said* "I agree he made you a fan because you are a weak flip flopper that has no hockey sense whatsoever probably raised to loose morals and values by a pack of hookers...

I will go on record that this will be the worse deal the Canucks have ever made and will make the Neely trade look like the greatest deal like eva....

Luo does not want to be in Van anymore. We all know why.

Now we have no number 1 goalie for our future. Great!

I hate Mike Gillis and cheer the day he will be quietly drowned in English Bay by a bunch of ugly plaid and heavy black boot wearing burn-outs from the glee East Side :D"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was Schneider your favorite Canuck or something?

Spidey - sorry bud but you are wrong. The Neely trade is and will likely be the worst deal still. Schneider might prove to be a good goaltender, but he won't be a HOF guy. No way.

The sky is falling Spidey....better get in your hole.

You sir (small 'S') are a Homer! (big 'H') Blind to the light. Unable to see the idiot General Manager scrambling around on the draft (daft? :eh: ) floor trying to make it look like he knows what he is doing...trying to call his goalies so they are too made at him for fucking this up.

EVERYONE IS LAUGHING AT US!

That is the reality. We are the joke of the league.

We had a goalie controversy and we still do. We have an aging goalie that does not want to play for us.

We made it clear he is no longer welcome here.

He made it clear he no longer wants to play here.

His proud Italian heritage does not allow fro him to go back on his word to his wife and her family.

MG is an ass-clown...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:09 pm

Arachnid wrote:Well that's only half the story...he hit on my girlfriend and when I did my crazy eyes he did his GET-AWAY-FROM-ME-PSYCHO thing, KB was not there to protect him like when Sundin hit on my girlfriend and Domi protected him from me... ;)

Maybe your girlfriend invites that sorta thang? Image

KIDDING!

BUDDY!!

Cool story bro, but you're gonna hafta PM me some girlfriend pics. :mex:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Cornuck » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:10 pm

...andddd back on topic we go.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby ORCA » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:11 pm

Fair enough, Spidey...

But out of 30 teams that performed on Draft day, very few experts and analysts are counting Vancouver as the joke of the day.

In fact, most seem to think we got ourselves some underrated talent.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
ORCA
CC Veteran

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:13 pm

Arachnid wrote:EVERYONE IS LAUGHING AT US!

That's because they hate us.

Haters gonna laugh at every move you make.

They'll hate us as long as we're contenders.

Personally I'm glad to hear they're laughing....
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat