MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:I can't believe some are shocked that MG didn't trade Schneider to the Oilers. Holy fuck grab a brain. One our biggest nemesis in our division ? Seriously, the math isn't hard.

I actually love this. Horvat is a very good player. Don't be surprised after years gone by that Horvat will be one of the 5 best players in this class. He will be our Ryan OReilly/Patrice Beregeron

Gillis just made a fan. Me

I also predict that Luongo will forever be the better goalie.
:shock:

Dude, you could knock me over with a feather... :lol:

To quote somebody else here: I agree.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I think the HFboards crowd is up in arms because they believe goaltenders have huge value. They simply don't seem to no matter how good. And while I believe the Islanders and Flyers are absolute dipshits for not giving a reasonable asset for Luongo it is what it is. Moreso the Islanders who gave up Niedereiter for Cal fucking Clutterbuck. Had they offered up Niedereiter for Luongo I imagine it would have garnered some interest from the canucks.

As it was Gillis had two goaltenders who provide good goaltending and will do so for a few more years and 3 goaltending prospects he thinks highly of. one of his starters has zero value and the other top 10 draft pick value. It's the beginning of the off season where one has the luxury of addressing future and in the now needs. Future was addressed. Now wasn't going to return a young superstar in waiting skater but rather established filler. I may think the value is somewhat off but it seems like a good pick. Only time will tell.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Honesty HW, I am not sure when Edlers NTC kicks in other than its pre- free agency.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

RoyalDude wrote:Gillis just made a fan. Me
This may actually be a bigger revelation then the Corey Schneider trade.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The call in gang at 1040 are a real intelligent bunch. Mad that Gillis didn't get a star player that can help now. Do they realize how screwed this team is with the cap? Idiots

I feel a bit better about our future up front, now. All thumbs up to the deal, stays competitive now but enhances the future outlook.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

As I said all along, MG was in a no win situation. No matter what he did he would be criticized but here we have our own beloved RD liking the deal. Hell has frozen over.

We pick up 4 million in cap, get younger, get a centre and get the drama over.

Luongo will report, he will say all the right things , he will be fine. He will be excited when camp roles around. This sis his team again. Well, until Lack....
The only HW the Canucks need
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

The only trades where I thought we won hands down was when we got Luongo and when we picked up Naslund. I have to admit the Erhoff trade was pretty good too but I wasn't really sure who he was at the time. Now MG has removed the cap threat and picked up a potentially good 3 c with the ability to be a 2nd C. Not too bad at all. I have always considered Luo to be the better goalie, my only concern is if he wants to stay. If he wants to stay, no problem, good deal.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

When Schneider emerged as a viable starter and everyone knew one was going to be gone I think most would have been reasonably happy with a top 10 pick in a good draft. Maybe something a little more but ti certainly wasn't going to be a top 10 pick and blue chip prospect. Top 10 pick and reasonable prospect or blue-chip plus late first round/second round pick.

So when all is said and done that is what Gillis got that top 10 pick for one of his goaltenders. It may not be the one we assumed was moving but so be it. I find it hard to complain all that much.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Would have liked a roster player as well, but over all we got "some" value for a goalie.

Corrado will make the team next year. Gaunce and Jensen both making progress. Now the 9th and 24th pick in a very strong draft.

Will be nice not hearing about how bare the cupboards are in these parts.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I don't think a lot of folks realize how good a prospect Horvat is. This kid is good. We just need prospect wingers now, centre is set.

I'm surprised with today's events. Fully expected nothing or a dumb ass trade rivalling the Ballard trade
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

I hate this. Gillis screwed up royally on his handling of the situation. Now we have a goalie who knows the franchise was pulling the plug on him and are only keeping him because they can't move his contract. The goalie we annointed only found out about his trade while watching the draft. What kind of a shit show is this? This is the first time I'm hugely embarrassed as a Canucks fan - riots and everything. It's like we've rebounded to the Arthur Griffiths, 24 year old GM days. I am disgusted. So much for us being a premier franchise. What a crock.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

RoyalDude wrote:I don't think a lot of folks realize how good a prospect Horvat is. This kid is good. We just need prospect wingers now, centre is set.
I only follow junior hockey when the WJHC are on, but it sounds like he has everything you want in a center. Question is, is he good enough to be slotted into our lineup this season? If that's the case, I think many will see the deal as a win.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The team didn't pull the plug on their franchise goalie. Their franchise goalie, for personal reasons wanted to go back east. That lead to the team accelerating CS to see if he could take over, he could, but then we couldn't move Luongo.

I'm warming to this. At least we get a good top draft pick and shave 4 million off the cap.
The only HW the Canucks need
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Mondi wrote:I thought the idea was to go for it with this core. And the idea in trading CS was to acquire parts to help this season.

It's nice to have a good prospect, but this guy isn't projected to be a franchise player so I fail to see how this deal helps the Sedins, Kesler and gang win this season or next.

Is Bo Horvat going to lead us to the promise land in 2020? Is that the idea here?
I think that over the last several years it is becoming apparent that goaltenders just don't bring that return. You weren't going to get a star in waiting on an ELC...especially with the cap going down. You aren't going to get an established star on reasonable contract to step in as a game changer up front or on the blueline. If you trade Schneider for "now" you get filler I'm afraid. The only choice is to trade a goaltender for future and only one goaltender provided any sort of return in that regard.

Ignore projections at this time. Projections don't mean shit. Giroux didn't project to be a franchise player yet within a handful of years he was. Fact is the experts have no clue about who and who isn't a franchise player beyond the first pick or two.

I still think the Isles, Florida, and Flyers are kicking themselves.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BurningBeard wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I don't think a lot of folks realize how good a prospect Horvat is. This kid is good. We just need prospect wingers now, centre is set.
I only follow junior hockey when the WJHC are on, but it sounds like he has everything you want in a center. Question is, is he good enough to be slotted into our lineup this season? If that's the case, I think many will see the deal as a win.
Here's hoping BOHO is the real deal. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.