MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Re: MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Post by nuckster »

UWSaint wrote:Inevitable in many ways.

Once there wasn't going to be a return for Luongo, the reasonable question is how much better is Cory Schneider than Roberto Luongo over the next two years. Answer -- better, but better than a first round pick?

Personally, I think that Cory Schneider is a hell of a goaltender. As good as Luongo in 2006-7 or 2010-11. Very composed, fundamentally solid, quick. I am going to miss him as a Canuck. I also think the return could have been a little better if the Canucks had been able to take on a roster player, but there are other things at work -- namely the CBA and the Canucks cap situation. GMMG wasn't joking when he said this trade happened when the CBA was signed....

This doesn't make the Canucks better next season, because Luongo < Schneider and the pick isn't making an impact for at least 2 years. But Luongo is still good, might be very good again, and is still ahead of Dan Cloutier and whoever is playing in Toronto next year..... Right? And Schneider was only a Canuck for two more years....

The problem is that is this team's remaining window.... My verdict: not an irrational move, but it shows there is a limit to the owner's purse, because it was this or buyouts. I'll pull for Luongo; I'll pull for the Canucks; but we are in 2005-2006 again, Canuck fans. An aging team without elite goaltending. We don't have a top 10 goalie, and it is very hard to win without one unless you are the Chicago Blackhawks or have Sidney Crosby.

Good luck, CS, you are one of my favorite all-time Canucks. Wish I had seen you play more.
You dont write a lot but you write well.... (so ive noticed over the years)

YES, goodbye Cory, life, funny thing sometimes (who would have ever anticpated this a year go?), as Lou Ammarello (sp?) said earlier today, NJ has secured their future. CS is expected to push and eventually take take over from Brodeur (an icon) ,,,, ok he didn't say those exact words, but it was implied. Unbelievable, wasn't it like yesterday when Brodeur took Detroit?? Getting old man. Who knows, maybe one day we'll see Lou vs Schneids for all the marbles?? (stranger things have happened in th is world)
cc oldtimer
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Boston Canucker wrote:The issue here, it seems clear, is not what MG got for CS last night, but that he mis-read the situation for the past year or so and boxed himself in. (and actually even further back to signing RL to the deal in the first place).
Under the terms of the previous CBA, the deal was very, very good. So good in fact, the rules were changed to outlaw these deals in the future and penalized the existing ones.

Does anyone else see Lamoriello and GMMG as natural deal makers? You want a deal without a leak, these are your guys and a very shrewd deal on both sides.

NJ gets a proven solid #1 with top five in the league potential. Sure he'll be looking for a new deal in two years, but then the cap should be growing. He's heir apparent to Marty. Marty played 2/3rds of the games last season, look for closer to 50-50 split this year or possibly CS doing more of the heavy lifting. NJ will have a very strong 1 A/B combo.

Vancouver gets the #9 pick in a deep draft selecting a centre with two way skill, median size, and great character. They also get cap relief and and an end to the goal crease saga. I predict that in mid October we'll be burning Lou at the stake for another slow start, but by New Years we'll be sucking the snow from his skate blades while splugeing over the play of Gaunce, Horvat and Shinkaruk in the WJC. By the end of Sochi the whole country will be chanting Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

While some may be asking why not the skill of Nichushkin, remember he completely failed the character sections of the combine. Clearly not the GMMG guy that Bo is.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Spock
CC Veteran

Post by Spock »

This deal is making the best of an an unfortunate situation. Yes, the Canucks made this bed - so they do need to sleep in it. But .....

1) THE CANUCKS could never have predicted the change in the CBA that basically made Luongo's deal a poison pill. It made him essentially untradeable without a big penalty - even the buyout is giant dollars.

2) When the deal with Luongo was signed, nobody knew Schneider would be such a good goaltender.

3) When the deal with Luongo was signed, nobody knew the Cap would go down.

----these 3 issues, which were completely *unpredictable*, forced the Canucks into this situation.

Given the situation, the Canucks made the best deal they could. I agree with NOT trading with Edmonton. You don't make such a deal in your own division to help a rival - even if it someday helps the Canucks as well.

Sad to see Cory go. Luongo is not stupid enough to retire to avoid playing in Vancouver. Perhaps Gillis can spin the new coach as a new chance to prove himself here.

Bottom Line - team couldnt move forward with both goaltenders. Canucks with Luongo + Horvat > Schneider with a bought out Luongo.

Live Long and Luongo

Spock
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Good stuff oh green blood...like has been said already, this season may be many things.....BORING.. Not so much..good to see you Spock.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

^
Mondiman...this must take into account the 3 things the canucks had ZERO control over that spock pointed out....Right?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Bold you might even say..lol zero return and millions to buy out, just so you can spend more millions withe freed up cap space...or 9 the round top seeded pick.. I can't blame them. Its the next couple days and before the season starts that will be if utmost interest..
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Yah it kind of doesn't matter right now. My opinion though was that cory had elite goaltender possibilities.. But had not yet attained that distinction, further after the last 2 playoffs to me its 50/50 he gets there. But I liked him and I wish him well..
Oh and I know about the the sv% in first hundred games stat...but 100 games is not a career yet..
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mondi wrote:
rats19 wrote:Bold you might even say..lol zero return and millions to buy out, just so you can spend more millions withe freed up cap space...or 9 the round top seeded pick.. I can't blame them. Its the next couple days and before the season starts that will be if utmost interest..
You're ignoring how good Cory Schneider is and will be for quite a while. But, let's see how it unfolds.
And you might be overestimating how good Cory will be. He didn't exactly make a difference In the games he played in the playoffs we still lost all but one game with him as starter.

He's good but will he be a second coming of Patrick Roy? Because that's the only way we really lose this trade.

I agree Rats.... Obviously lol
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Cory Schneider, i think, will be an excellent starting goaltender. However, it is worth pointing out he has yet to appear in 35 games during a season...let alone 60+. He hasn't had a starters workload yet for an entire season and until he shows he can handle it there are indeed question marks. If he fizzles out the back half of a season the trade looks a whole lot different....and I don't think it's a horrible trade to begin with. Not saying it will happen, I don't think it will happen, but his success as a starter is not some predetermined destiny any more than Bernier's is.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mondi wrote:Yeah of course there were somethings beyond Vancouver's control.

I wonder if Aqualini fancies himself a powerful NHL owner. Surely he should have (possibly did) fought tooth and nail for a grandfather exception for contracts signed before the CBA was re-written. Retroactive effect is a tough pill to swallow at the negotiating table, how the owners with those Ks already signed capitulated is beyond me.

With all that being said, if Luongo could have been dealt at some point for anything it should have been done. If that wasn't an option, Cory could have been traded for more than the 9th pick at some point (or for roster players). Failing that the buyout seems to be the best play, subject to FA nixing that possibility.

As I said, its not a complete disaster. But, giving up on blue chippers you developed in exchange for a draft choice is rare. Extremely rare. What concerns me is the ad hoc manner by which GMMG seems to be running things.

Hopefully Bo comes along quickly.

We don't know if CS could have been traded for more than the 9th pick at some point. MG could not take roster players back, he needs the cap. Yes, MG should have anticipated the cap going down and I suspect that without a long lock out he may have done more to prepare for this day but in the shortened season there was little he could do. But if we are going to speculate on rumours of what he could have traded for and didn't or couldn't keep in mind he tried to give Ballard away last year and there were no takers. But he should have traded him anyway right?

I read a lot of respect for CS on this site and still a lot of respect for Luongo. At the end of the day it was the right move for where it is situated now.

Funny how last season MG was lambasted for having 9+ million locked up in two goalies yet no one is saying the same thing about NJD. They come out smelling like roses yet they are cap crunched, have 9 million + in two goalies in a year where the cap drops. Yes, I get it is in all likelihood for one year only, but when we said that about the Canucks it didn't matter, it was stupid asset management to EVER have 9 million+ in two goalies and always have a least 4 million in wasted space sit on the bench. How come NJD don't even get a peep of this? Like Maybe they should have made this deal last year? Or they should never have resign Marty to that 2 year deal or....

Having said all of that this is a good deal for both teams moving forward.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:I predict that in mid October we'll be burning Lou at the stake for another slow start, but by New Years we'll be sucking the snow from his skate blades while splugeing over the play of Gaunce, Horvat and Shinkaruk in the WJC. By the end of Sochi the whole country will be chanting Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.
/thread hahah

And I think Burkie owes the Canucks something for screwing this team over.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: Cory + Cap Space > Luongo + Good Prospect in the Minors

This season, and probably next.
Actually it's Cory + Cap Space - 1 comp-buyout... VS.... Luongo + Cap Space + Good Prospect.

(only $1.3mil more capspace if we went with Cory).

Mondi wrote: And Cory found out he got traded while watching TSN.
As the trade was being announced by Bettman, Gillis was on the phone with Schneids.

Lamoriello insists there are no leaks whatsoever ahead of trades.
Mondi wrote: To me, the team is being run like a circus.
Indeed, Gillis is looking pretty clownish right now.

"We're gonna trade Schneider."

"Nope, we're gonna trade Luongo."

"Yup we're DEFINITELY gonna trade Luongo."

"We just traded Schneider, that has been our plan all along."

:scowl:

But in the end he traded the goalie I wanted traded and got a great young centre for him.

So I'm kinda okay with Gillis the Clown.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So what do the Canuck players have to say on all of this? Well, I obviously don't know what they all say but from what I am hearing, yes, gossip, it is pretty supportive. Things like:

Surprise not shock that CS was traded.

Hard to see him go just as it would be hard to see Luongo go.

Confident no matter who has the net.

Luongo needs a few days and will get all the support he needs from his teammates.

Thrilled he is still a Canuck and has his team to lean on.

Shocked that Luongo could not get traded and that no team took a chance on a goalie of his skills.

Will rally around him and be there when he reaches out.

See no problems in the dressing room or on the ice.

Wish CS the best, he is a great goalie and a better person.

Knew one of them was going so a sad day no matter who got traded.

Understand the business side of the game.

So it seems they are saying pretty well what we are saying. Surprised as we were but also very glad to still have Luongo on the team. Also sounds like his teammates have his back. I think they will continue to reach out to him. One player allegedly sent him a text telling him he could sleep on his couch if need a place to stay. LOL. I mean the waterboy can't do anything financially at this point to help him re-move back into his condo as that would be cap circumvention. Good to know his teammates have it covered. :mrgreen:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hey Doc, the leaks by Lou is a good point. He is allegedly notorious for pulling deals if word leaks out. I am also hearing that this deal was agreed upon on Saturday, subject to the player the Canucks wanting being available at #9. Heard they eyeballed two players. Once the 8th pick went the Canucks called Lou and said it was a go so it really wasn't a complete done deal until the 9th pick came up and their guy was their. So MG had to tell Lou, get the trade call done and then call CS before the announcement.

So I think he tried to get all that done before TSN made the announcement. They should not allow media vultures anywhere near the trade call table during this draft. Duthie had actually texted CS before Bettman made the announcement to get his reaction. That should just not happen and that is not on MG.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Brutal.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society