Gillis - Opportunity Knocking.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Gillis - Opportunity Knocking.

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Personally I'm loathe to trade Edler anyway. I'm mean if we gotta that's one thing but I still think there's more there to be had and I think torts should get a shot to squeeze it out of him

As for Schneider I'm open to any solution to the problem
Yours truly is fine with trading either/both away as long as your Vancouver Canucks received a FANTASTIC return.

Which your Vancouver Canucks most certainly would.

But that return needs to include players that make your Vancouver Canucks better NOW rather than in the future.

Your Stanley Cup beckons.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
Mëds wrote: The return on Edler and Schneider will definitely include a first round pick and a couple of prospects, who knows, maybe Edler gets a 1st too. Regardless, Gillis can actually load up for the future while still keeping this team in the contending mix next season. If he could get 2 picks in the top 15 of this draft he will have turned this team into a potential long term contender without having to go through what we saw in Edmonton and are about to see in Calgary. Not many GM's find themselves in a position to make their team much better in the future without sacrificing a helluvalot in the present. .
Sorry bro, but trading two of our top players for futures would ABSOLUTELY be "sacrificing a helluvalot in the present".

Not gonna happen, nor should it...
Not if it's those 2.

Schneider is 27 years old, Edler is 27 years old. Trading them for high picks and good prospects means losing a pair of players just entering their prime years. No argument there. However.....

Luongo is still here, and he will be Schneider's equal for another couple of seasons. That's 2 years to see if Lack or Ericsson have what it takes. If they don't then they don't and hopefully they have what it takes to grab a gear in the playoffs behind a stronger defense and offense. By that point I would hope that the scouting department has been directed to find some goaltending prospects.

If Edler is replaced by a more defensively responsible guy then that's fine, so long as the forward group is upgraded. If he is moved to acquire a guy like Letang, then so much the better (depending on price tag of course).

Think about it Doc. You maintain the level of play in goal and get a top forward prospect.

You maintain the level of play on the blueline and get a top prospect or draft pick. Future stuff. You replace Edler with someone who is slightly better defensively, even though he will probably not perform to the same level offensively, and you don't tank the team. Especially if his replacement is consistent in what he brings. Or you upgrade the offensive contribution (Letang), buyout Ballard, and upgrade the stay home defense.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds I merely disagreed with the part where you suggested trading Edler and Schneids for future-players.

Now you're talking Letang. :eh:

Well I'm on record for being all over an Edler-for-Letang trade.

If Schneids were traded we'd need at least one young player who can help us now plus a high first.

But let's remember we're in Fantasyland with all this. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If Gillis hasn't done anything that remotely has a pulse at the draft tomorrow I'm finding a new hobby. His patience is killing me.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:Mëds I merely disagreed with the part where you suggested trading Edler and Schneids for future-players.

If Schneids were traded we'd need at least one young player who can help us now plus a high first.
If Schneids is traded we do NOT need a player that can help us now. It would be nice, but not necessary. A high first and a good prospect would suffice as the foundation of such a return. I'd take a top 10 pick, a good prospect, and a 2nd rounder for Schneider.

For Edler I'm talking either or both.

So long as we have Luongo here, and Lack and Ericsson coming up, then trading Schneider is just a boon if it brings us a return like that.

So now we're just trading Edler. And I think he needs a change of scene. I think he will wilt under a guy like Tortorella who will demand his very best or sit him on the bench. If he stays we will have a $5M defenseman who is playing 15 minutes per game on the bottom pairing and only dressing for 60 games a year as he spends time upstairs trying to figure out why he's scratched.
Doc wrote: But let's remember we're in Fantasyland with all this. :mrgreen:
Well of course we are. ;)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:Mëds I merely disagreed with the part where you suggested trading Edler and Schneids for future-players.

If Schneids is traded we do NOT need a player that can help us now. It would be nice, but not necessary. A high first and a good prospect would suffice as the foundation of such a return. I'd take a top 10 pick, a good prospect, and a 2nd rounder for Schneider.

For Edler I'm talking either or both.

So long as we have Luongo here, and Lack and Ericsson coming up, then trading Schneider is just a boon if it brings us a return like that.

So now we're just trading Edler. And I think he needs a change of scene. I think he will wilt under a guy like Tortorella who will demand his very best or sit him on the bench. If he stays we will have a $5M defenseman who is playing 15 minutes per game on the bottom pairing and only dressing for 60 games a year as he spends time upstairs trying to figure out why he's scratched.
Doc wrote: But let's remember we're in Fantasyland with all this. :mrgreen:
Well of course we are. ;)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The window is still wide open.

Screw the future, we need to go for the Cup.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: His patience is killing me.
Oh well, you can't make Advocaatenborrel without breaking a few eggs amirite? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

So we are giving up Edler, who just signed long term with an amazing cap hit for Letang who wants $7.5+/yr? Plus another asset or NHL ready player?

Weber would be the guy I'd target if we want an $8mil dman. And probably the only one I'd trade Edler for. I may overvalue the former beer league dman, but at this point I dont see Letang as an upgrade at the expense of Edler and the cap come next season. Btw, who do we have that can step into a top four role right now? Like Tanev/Corrado....not there yet. Does Ballard get thrusted there?

Great idea, and one of the more plausible/realistic ones I've seen - but I cant see where the teams meet in the middle on this.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

CFP, Letang's cap-hit is $3.5mil next year.

Garrison - Letang
Hamhuis - Bieksa
ASSHOLE - Tanev
Alberts - Corrado

:mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Strangelove wrote:CFP, Letang's cap-hit is $3.5mil next year.

Garrison - Letang
Hamhuis - Bieksa
ASSHOLE - Tanev
Alberts - Corrado

Very aware of his cap hit Mr love.

That's why I mentioned in my post about next season.(which I should have said the following season....) Regardless, what would we give up for him?

Edler is a start. I would think Jensen/Gaunce would be included. And maybe a pick/or rights to an RFA of ours?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

As HW said, Mr Premier, without an extension Edler straight up for Letang is fair.

We could include a conditional-upon-resign first round pick.

Or they could let us negotiate an extension with Letang beforehand.

In that case we'd definitely have to add yeah.

But this fantasy is based upon the rumour that Letang is pissed at management and just wants out.

This fantasy is based upon Letang signing with us long-term for $7mil per.

*takes another toke* :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Strangelove wrote:
This fantasy is based upon Letang signing with us long-term for $7mil per.
If we take a swing at Letang, and it costs us Edler plus a $7 smil cap hit, I'd need some heavy convincing. Letang brings the offense of Ehrhoff but the attitude of Jeff Brown.

We should focus on the frwds for next yr. Filling roles and developing the correct players in their roles. Our D is good, not great but pretty solid but we lack a sniper or another guy to round out the top 6 (booth? - healthy???) to have a couple of scoring lines. I still think Gaunce/Jensen get a sweet rack at redemption next year as tweeners.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

CFP! wrote: Letang brings the offense of Ehrhoff but the attitude of Jeff Brown.
Yeah he's gonna diddle Gina, it's destiny, what can ya do....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

CFP! wrote:
Strangelove wrote:CFP, Letang's cap-hit is $3.5mil next year.

Garrison - Letang
Hamhuis - Bieksa
ASSHOLE - Tanev
Alberts - Corrado

Very aware of his cap hit Mr love.

That's why I mentioned in my post about next season.(which I should have said the following season....) Regardless, what would we give up for him?

Edler is a start. I would think Jensen/Gaunce would be included. And maybe a pick/or rights to an RFA of ours?
The only way Letang is moving is if the Penguins can't reach an agreement with him.

Edler for Letang straight up is a good trade for Pittsburgh.

If Schneider is moved for a top pick, and suddenly we have a young stud centerman in the mix, Schroeder becomes expendable. Edler + Schroeder + 3rd for Letang + 2nd.

Another team would beat that, but that team wouldn't be ending up in the SCF any time soon.

Look at the teams that went big at the deadline and overpaid for players they can't afford now. They were all golfing while Chicago and Boston were playing. The Bruins tried to go big at the deadline but instead had to go with what they had. Did pretty well.