The Goalie Market

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The Goalie Market

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Strangelove wrote:And will you rookies PLEASE stop posting that Schneids goes instead of Luongo!

Lu has made it clear that he wants to go East.

Gillis has made it clear he is going to trade Lu.

So yeah.... just stop. :hmmm:
It's pretty funny how many people can't let go.
I don't think for a second that Lou is staying.

However, as much as he thinks his contract sucks, he signed it. Unless he sits out, which I doubt he'd do, he can't really force the Canucks hand until his "out clause" kicks in.

If his only two options were to stay at home or play two more years with the Canucks I'd bet he'd do the later.

Anyway, just playing devils advocate... I don't think it would ever come down to this.
2011..... the one that got away.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Strangelove wrote:
$lacker wrote: The longer this plays out with Luongo, the more likely it seems to me a buyout is possible
The ONLY reason to buyout Luongo would be to avoid the future Recapture penalty.

And I agree with the majority who say that's not a big deal.

It's silly to say "the longer this plays out... " because the best time to trade him hasn't happened yet

(best time since it became obvious he wants out).

The best time to trade him thus far will be between 48-hours-after-season-ended until the draft.

As an elite goaltender, Luongo has a lot of value in that window... considering the market (scroll up).

And will you rookies PLEASE stop posting that Schneids goes instead of Luongo!

Lu has made it clear that he wants to go East.

Gillis has made it clear he is going to trade Lu.

So yeah.... just stop. :hmmm:
Funny, I've been around since the early CC days but I guess because I post once in a while makes me a rookie.

First of all, neither of us really know whether or not the best time to trade him has come or lays ahead but from most of what I've read the offers for Lu have only gotten worse, including the one from the leaves before BB got fired. All the GM's know Gillis is in a terrible spot and on top of that RL has one of the worst contracts in the league. Gillis has to settle something by next season and that puts him in a position of LESS leverage "the longer this plays out".

Sorry, but RL signed that contract with the intent to stick around and if trading him/buying him out is to the detriment of the team then he can go pound sand. If the Canucks are a better/stronger team trading CS35 and keeping Lu then it has to be considered. That was my point.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote: Unless he sits out, which I doubt he'd do, he can't really force the Canucks hand until his "out clause" kicks in.
As I just explained in another thread, sitting out would have the opposite effect.

His cap-hit would come off the books and he wouldn't be getting paid (if suspended for sitting out).
Eddy Punch Clock wrote: If his only two options were to stay at home or play two more years with the Canucks I'd bet he'd do the later.
Sure he would, but it's much better for your Vancouver Canucks to just trade him.

He's a Top 10 goalie and teams are desperate for that right now.

Contrary to most of the scuttlebutt, his contract is not such a bitter pill to swallow for many GMs out there.

See Columbus begging Kipper to please consider not retiring....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

$lacker wrote:If the Canucks are a better/stronger team trading CS35 and keeping Lu then it has to be considered. That was my point.
You're considering something that is not an option. Luongo does not want to play here.

Telling Captain Emoticon to "pound sand" and play here anyway is not going to be in the team's best fucking interest.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Rumsfeld wrote:
$lacker wrote:If the Canucks are a better/stronger team trading CS35 and keeping Lu then it has to be considered. That was my point.
You're considering something that is not an option. Luongo does not want to play here.

Telling Captain Emoticon to "pound sand" and play here anyway is not going to be in the team's best fucking interest.
See: Evgeni Nabokov
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

$lacker wrote: Funny, I've been around since the early CC days but I guess because I post once in a while makes me a rookie.
C'mon $lacker, I'm sure you've been called worse things. :wink:
$lacker wrote: First of all, neither of us really know whether or not the best time to trade him has come or lays ahead
Common sense dictates.

Perhaps yours truly should change his handle to 'Common Sense'. :wink:
$lacker wrote: but from most of what I've read the offers for Lu have only gotten worse, including the one from the leaves before BB got fired. All the GM's know Gillis is in a terrible spot and on top of that RL has one of the worst contracts in the league. Gillis has to settle something by next season and that puts him in a position of LESS leverage "the longer this plays out".
So you start out with "neither of us knows" and end up concluding you know. :roll:

Trading a big contract player has ALWAYS been easier in the summer when teams have more flexibility.

This we know.

Also an excellent market is being created this off-season for a number one goaltender (scroll up).
$lacker wrote: Sorry, but RL signed that contract with the intent to stick around and if trading him/buying him out is to the detriment of the team then he can go pound sand. If the Canucks are a better/stronger team trading CS35 and keeping Lu then it has to be considered. That was my point.
Sorry, but your point sucks.... rookie. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Slacker, the man weeps once a year at press conferences, he's not the most emotionally stable guy to begin with. Damage his ego any further and things will not go well in the locker room.

And Cory is just too good and has too much upside to let go. We would regret the living shit out of trading him.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

$lacker wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

See: Evgeni Nabokov
I believe that Nabokov does not have a wife and kids living in Florida.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Strangelove wrote:
Sorry, but your point sucks.... rookie. :mrgreen:
Well I guess time will tell :hmmm:

LeBrun now saying Isles not in the Luongo "sweepstakes" either anymore. Scratch another one off the long list.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Strangelove wrote:
Hey!

That was my old handle at CC....
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vader wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Hey!

That was my old handle at CC....
:lol:

Good handle....
____
Try to focus on someday.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Rumsfeld wrote:Slacker, the man weeps once a year at press conferences, he's not the most emotionally stable guy to begin with. Damage his ego any further and things will not go well in the locker room.

And Cory is just too good and has too much upside to let go. We would regret the living shit out of trading him.
Agreed, it would be a risk. It would be amazing what a good season would do to bring the team together again (Lu included), however a losing season and they are even more screwed. That's not to say there isn't some risk going with Cory.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

$lacker wrote:That's not to say there isn't some risk going with Cory.
I see no risk in going with Cory.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

$lacker wrote: LeBrun now saying Isles not in the Luongo "sweepstakes" either anymore. Scratch another one off the long list.
Well what GM goes out and intentionally says YES we are very interested in acquiring this player that is still under contract.
We typically hear all about that AFTER a GM acquires that player.
@BrettCyrgalis
Talks between the #Isles and Nabokov have come to a standstill. The soon-to-be 38yo goalie with test the free agency market come July 5
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I see zero risk in going with Cory.

He is the better athlete. He’s younger. He has great size and athleticism. He is positionally a great goaltender, but he also has great anticipation and reflexes. When he is on, he is nearly unbeatable. His numbers have actually gotten better the more NHL games he has played. He actually wants to be the man in Vancouver (unlike Lalongo). He also doesn’t have history of choking in the biggest games of his career.

Honestly, I don’t really care if Luongo is traded for nothing, bought out, waived, whatever, I just want it done. Let’s move on please.