Re-sign the Sedins thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re-sign the Sedins?

Yes
75%
No
11%
Maybe
9%
Who gives a shit
5%

Total votes: 44

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Re-sign the Sedins thread

Post by Rumsfeld »

Knucklehead wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:I am willing to make a bet with anybody* that Luongo will not be a Canuck this time next season.

That's one of the main reasons I'm so pissed they traded Cory.

*except Strangelove.... bugger off Strangelove :lol:
Is it next year that Lou can demand a trade or is it the year after?

I can see him traded in that window, lets hope the stork, Cannata or Erickson can step up.

Cory who, the guy that had a couple of panic attacks in his few playoff games.

What is this Strangelove you speak of?
That's the spirit! :lol:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rumsfeld wrote:I am willing to make a bet with anybody* that Luongo will not be a Canuck this time next season.

Would not be surprised

The Luongo Fiasco, the Ballard trade, if Kassian ends up being a failure, Torts ends up being a disaster, the Booth trade, poor drafting and developing, the loss of Erhoff, there is a real strong case for firing Gillis.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

RoyalDude wrote:

Would not be surprised

The Luongo Fiasco, the Ballard trade, if Kassian ends up being a failure, Torts ends up being a disaster, the Booth trade, poor drafting and developing, the loss of Erhoff, there is a real strong case for firing Gillis.
You're right. If absolutely everything that can possibly go wrong goes wrong, it will be bad.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tciso wrote:
You are a decade too late. Dudes don't put on 5 or 10 pounds of muscle in their 30's in any pro sport other than baseball, and that's usually steroids (and I barely consider baseball a sport. It is a pastime) . And, you under-estimate the value of cardio on hockey.
You barely consider it a sport . Cool story bra.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

If the long term goal of this team is to win a Stanley cup... why be in a rush to resign the Sedin's?
They have proven that they are regular season successes but also proven not to be that good
in the real season - the playoffs..
I would like to see if Torts can get them playing a more physical defensive game .
So far they haven't done a hell of a lot of that and it shows bigtime in the playoffs.
Basic Stats :
H Sedin.. 940 regular season games is a +200 99 playoff games a -15
D Sedin ..906 regular season games is a +172 96 playoff games a -11

With the "new" Pacific division including LA and the Ducks and Sharks it might be a little tougher
for them too..
Last year when they started with Kassian on the wing they did diddley squat but came back to life with
Burrows..
My call is they are 2 excellent hockey players but only if they play together , have a down and dirty goal scorer on their line and don't run into tough d and aggressive back checking.. They have slowed down a bit over the last 2 years so I want to see if Torts can find a way to make them into good solid 2 way players ready for the playoffs.. Then and only then .. sign them at 6.. if not offer them 2nd line money and build around Kesler..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Tiger wrote: My call is they are 2 excellent hockey players but only if they play together
And yet Henrik won Art Ross when his brother was injured and missed half the season... :?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

closer to twenty games missed
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'm kind of mixed on re-signing the sedins. I luv them and all, great guys who have done alot for this franchise. On one hand, I really want to see them become the first 1000 point scorers with the Canucks; Hank is just under 800 points, so he should hit the century mark in about 2.5 seasons. On the other hand, I really can't see them leading us to a Stanley Cup victory. Oh well, at least they can hold the fort till some of our young players are ready I guess. :?
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Topper wrote:closer to twenty games missed
Yep..exactly 19 but maybe he's talking an Elite league season?..
That year.. 09 -10 was the year they peaked and both of their regular season and
playoff stats were over a point a game and a + in the +/- category...
Unfortunately its been downhill since and I agree with Bersnoozi, they aren't going to
take us to "the promised land".. They are still very good players and even if they have
lost a step or 2 can contribute . Lets see what Torts can do with them before resigning
them to a long term costly contract..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:The Luongo Fiasco, the Ballard trade, if Kassian ends up being a failure, Torts ends up being a disaster, the Booth trade, poor drafting and developing, the loss of Erhoff, there is a real strong case for firing Gillis.

Haha just kidding I'm just pissed about Gillis' attitude in a press conference five and a half years ago
Fixed your post.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tiger wrote:If the long term goal of this team is to win a Stanley cup... why be in a rush to resign the Sedin's?
They have proven that they are regular season successes but also proven not to be that good
in the real season - the playoffs..

I would like to see if Torts can get them playing a more physical defensive game .
So far they haven't done a hell of a lot of that and it shows bigtime in the playoffs.
Basic Stats :
H Sedin.. 940 regular season games is a +200 99 playoff games a -15
D Sedin ..906 regular season games is a +172 96 playoff games a -11

With the "new" Pacific division including LA and the Ducks and Sharks it might be a little tougher
for them too..
Last year when they started with Kassian on the wing they did diddley squat but came back to life with
Burrows..
My call is they are 2 excellent hockey players but only if they play together , have a down and dirty goal scorer on their line and don't run into tough d and aggressive back checking.. They have slowed down a bit over the last 2 years so I want to see if Torts can find a way to make them into good solid 2 way players ready for the playoffs.. Then and only then .. sign them at 6.. if not offer them 2nd line money and build around Kesler..
It's the short term we are trying to win the cup and if you guys ever want to see a cup soon, re-signing the Sedin's is your best bet at that.
I think you forget the Sedin's/Kassian torrid start where Kass got like 7 goals iirc, but faded in play due to being unfit or whatever, but AV quickly took Kass out after that, I think a full season together Kass will prosper knowing the coach believes in him.

Kesler is great, but he's proven to be a bit of a liability ONLY in terms of his brash style of play which leads to a lot of injuries.

You get the Sedin's and Kesler going at the same time (healthy/mid season form) this team goes into beast mode and that is when we do a lot of damage, especially if they can get some help!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I'm kind of mixed on re-signing the sedins. I luv them and all, great guys who have done alot for this franchise. On one hand, I really want to see them become the first 1000 point scorers with the Canucks; Hank is just under 800 points, so he should hit the century mark in about 2.5 seasons. On the other hand, I really can't see them leading us to a Stanley Cup victory. Oh well, at least they can hold the fort till some of our young players are ready I guess. :?
They don't need to lead us to anything. That's the whole point. We have been leaning on them for years. Now it's time for the next wave to start to take over. Make Kesler the Captain. Have Kassian and another young'n step up. Make the team a team again and not Team Daniel & Henrik. Sign them and allow them to be the good solid two way players they can be (like when they win in the Worlds and play different). AV used them as his offensive weapon. Torts will use them as a team.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Arachnid wrote: They don't need to lead us to anything. That's the whole point. We have been leaning on them for years. Now it's time for the next wave to start to take over. Make Kesler the Captain. Have Kassian and another young'n step up. Make the team a team again and not Team Daniel & Henrik. Sign them and allow them to be the good solid two way players they can be (like when they win in the Worlds and play different). AV used them as his offensive weapon. Torts will use them as a team.
I think the organisation has realized they need a new #1 line ASAP. The Sedins and Kesler still have lots to offer but for any success to occur in the near future it will definitely come only with consistent contributions from the whole team as the Sedins best is behind them and Keslers style of play leads to injuries.
Sedins would be the best 2nd line in the league for a number of seasons yet.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dangler wrote:
Arachnid wrote: They don't need to lead us to anything. That's the whole point. We have been leaning on them for years. Now it's time for the next wave to start to take over. Make Kesler the Captain. Have Kassian and another young'n step up. Make the team a team again and not Team Daniel & Henrik. Sign them and allow them to be the good solid two way players they can be (like when they win in the Worlds and play different). AV used them as his offensive weapon. Torts will use them as a team.
I think the organisation has realized they need a new #1 line ASAP.

The Sedins and Kesler still have lots to offer but for any success to occur in the near future it will definitely come only with consistent contributions from the whole team as the Sedins best is behind them and Keslers style of play leads to injuries.
Sedins would be the best 2nd line in the league for a number of seasons yet.
You make getting a new #1 line seem so easy! Patience people! The stars haven't aligned for this team the past two playoffs, all this team needs is health and a solid 3rd line to develop to have success in the playoffs, re-sign the Sedin's till they retire, they are the teams best chance at a cup in the next 4 to 5 years, then we'll have to hope and pray that Horvat can take over from there with an aging war veteran Kesler at that point.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

[/b] Patience people! The stars haven't aligned for this team the past two playoffs, all this team needs is health and a solid 3rd line to develop to have success in the playoffs, re-sign the Sedin's till they retire, they are the teams best chance at a cup in the next 4 to 5 years, then we'll have to hope and pray that Horvat can take over from there with an aging war veteran Kesler at that point.[/quote]

Just curious, what happens to Horvat once he's sent down/back (assuming he is), does he go back to junior or to the AHL farm? Suppose the same question could be asked of Shinkaruk as well? Can someone enlighten me here?

On another note: I think it would be frikin awesome to see aline-up that has the Sedins on the second line....but we don't have a line-up like that and it's likely going to take a number of years before we do (probably stating the obvious)... so lets come back to earth about that.
cc oldtimer