Re-sign the Sedins thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re-sign the Sedins?

Yes
75%
No
11%
Maybe
9%
Who gives a shit
5%

Total votes: 44

Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Re: Re-sign the Sedins thread

Post by Knucklehead »

Rumsfeld wrote:Oh and as for the twins' new deal, three years, 5 mil per.

:wow:

Of course they could get more, but a discount in year one might be an overpayment in year three. They say they want to win here, they have shitloads of money... prove it. Don't handcuff the team to players who don't deliver when it matters most.

The twins are still fantastic talents but the team needs a culture change and we can't do that if we're paying them first-line dollars in 2017. Next year I wouldn't be surprised if they're second-liners behind Kesler and whatever high-end winger we manage to land.

Hopefully Torts tells these guys to shoot the damn puck. This team needs a sniper soooo badly.
Are you insane Rummy, in a world where Clarkson gets 5.25 mill over 7 years you think the Sedins are only worth 5 mill over three?

This is only one example of many, if we only look at a couple of recent deals signed in the Western Conference comparables could be Getzlaf and Perry in Anaheim signed for North of 8 mil per for 7 years each.

Yes, they are 5 years younger but those contracts will take both to the age of 35.

If we get the Sedins until they are 35/36 for anything less than 7 it will be a huge discount and well worth it.

I would go so far as to say that in 5 years when Getzlaf and Perry are the twins age now, if the Sedins are still in the League, they will be outplaying the Anaheim pair!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Clarkson was a UFA and this was his "cash in" contract. His best days are still ahead of him. The leaves overpaid to appease their bumblecunt fanbase.

The twins are not UFA, do not want to play anywhere else and have already "cashed in". Their best days are behind them, although I know that's hard for some to accept. I sure as hell wouuldn't give them a raise on their last contracts.

I know they're worth substantially more than five on the open market and I really don't care. I see them as supplementary offense in a couple seasons and not the primary players we should build around... I want goal scorers with some jam. Their numbers have dropped off bigtime in the last couple seasons and they don't bring anything but offense. They're high-end playmakers but that's about it.

I doubt we can sign them that cheap but that's what I'd offer them if they want more than 2 years.

And Gillis would blow a load in his XXXL sweat pants if ANA offered Getzlaf and Perry for the twins. But of course that would never happen.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Groovypippin wrote:Daniel and Henrik absolutely aced fitness testing on day one of camp. Easily the best conditioned athletes on day on the team. An important reminder that for athletes their "prime" lasts longer than others. See Alfredson, Daniel.
Cardio conditioning has fuck all to do with a hockey player's "prime". Things like timing, reflexes, fast-twitch explosiveness and wear and tear on the body do.

The twins always have great cardio and that's because they work hard on it every summer. However, it should be noted that cardio is easier when you are carrying less muscle. I'd rather see the twins come to camp bigger and stronger even if it meant sacrificing a little bit of that gas tank.
I call complete bullshit on your part...do they want it enough? Has the West Coast skanks fucked it out of them? They no longer want to win the Wold Cup in soccer but now use the ovaries of Lacrosse wives to warm up in a game of hackey sack and are ready to kill for a Cup™... that is all that need be measured my fine feathered Surrey donkey (Kong) friend...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

Rumsfeld wrote:Clarkson was a UFA and this was his "cash in" contract. His best days are still ahead of him. The leaves overpaid to appease their bumblecunt fanbase.

The twins are not UFA, do not want to play anywhere else and have already "cashed in". Their best days are behind them, although I know that's hard for some to accept. I sure as hell wouuldn't give them a raise on their last contracts.

I know they're worth substantially more than five on the open market and I really don't care. I see them as supplementary offense in a couple seasons and not the primary players we should build around... I want goal scorers with some jam. Their numbers have dropped off bigtime in the last couple seasons and they don't bring anything but offense. They're high-end playmakers but that's about it.

I doubt we can sign them that cheap but that's what I'd offer them if they want more than 2 years.

And Gillis would blow a load in his XXXL sweat pants if ANA offered Getzlaf and Perry for the twins. But of course that would never happen.

The twins will be UFA if their contracts expire before an extension is signed, teams would be lining up to sign them to big money contracts north of 6/7 million..

It is reported that other teams offered more for Clarkson than the Laffs did, evidence that Nonis is not the only "special" GM in the league.

I would not take Getzlaf and Perry for the Twins, not with their current contracts, not that I think they would be offered.

The myth that the twins are one dimensional offensive players is ludicruss and will be dispelled by the way Torts uses them, rather than the way AV used them.

I think their decline the past couple of years had more to do with Kesslers strugles more than their own.

Their even strength points have remained relatively constant, it is the drop off in PP points that has caused their reduction in overall production.

If Kessler is Healthy and Torts can rejuvinate the PP I could see both twins with over 90 points and Kessler close to 80.

BTW I doubt Clarkson ever scores more than 50/55 points in a season during his contract. leaves fans will be calling for his head after 2 or 3 years of that contract!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Rumsfeld wrote:Clarkson was a UFA and this was his "cash in" contract. His best days are still ahead of him. The leaves overpaid to appease their bumblecunt fanbase.
Clarkson is 29 so betting that his best days are ahead of him is actually not that safe.. unless you are saying it's because he is super strong & has great cardio?
Rumsfeld wrote:Of course they could get more, but a discount in year one might be an overpayment in year three. They say they want to win here, they have shitloads of money... prove it. Don't handcuff the team to players who don't deliver when it matters most.
:lol:

The team should hire you to negotiate. "You guys are fantastic talents but we just can't handcuff the team to... well... you."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Of course they could get more, but a discount in year one might be an overpayment in year three. They say they want to win here, they have shitloads of money... prove it. Don't handcuff the team to players who don't deliver when it matters most.
:lol:

The team should hire you to negotiate. "You guys are fantastic talents but we just can't handcuff the team to... well... you."
haha.

Garry Valk suggests 4 years at about $6.5M per. seems like a decent, plausible move. :)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/valk ... y-canucks/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote:Garry Valk suggests 4 years at about $6.5M per. seems like a decent, plausible move. :)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/valk ... y-canucks/
If the Cap had gone up 9%, instead of having just dropped 6%, I might be convinced to agree. But, this represents a 7% pay raise for the twins, within a flat cap. And, I don't see the twins as being 7% better over the next few years, compared to the past few years. If revenues jump, and the cap goes to $70 million, then $6.5 is cool. but if the cap stays at $64.3, that raise is a killer for signing our younger guys like Tanev, Kassian and Hansen when their contracts come up next summer.

After the cap took a hit in the last CBA, I don't see too many teams wanting to run out and lock up $13 million a year (20% of the cap) on 2 guys. Heck, I don't think too many teams will have the ability to take on that kind of cap hit.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

I can see this: 4 years, 9 mill, 7 mill, 6 mill then 4 mill in the last year.

6.25 AAV, is this doable under the current players contract?
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Knucklehead wrote:I can see this: 4 years, 9 mill, 7 mill, 6 mill then 4 mill in the last year.

It'll have to be $4.5 mil the last season with the new 50% rule, but I get what you are saying. I still say ouch!
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

Tciso wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:I can see this: 4 years, 9 mill, 7 mill, 6 mill then 4 mill in the last year.

It'll have to be $4.5 mil the last season with the new 50% rule, but I get what you are saying. I still say ouch!
Then make it 5.5 mill in year three and 4.5 in year 4, still works.

It's not my money being paid out so I don't care about the dollars being spent each year, it is the cap hit that counts and 6.25 is great for an elite player.

As I mentioned before there are fairly mediocre players making around 1 mill less and comparable players with a much greater cap hit.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Knucklehead wrote:
Tciso wrote:

Then make it 5.5 mill in year three and 4.5 in year 4, still works.

It's not my money being paid out so I don't care about the dollars being spent each year, it is the cap hit that counts and 6.25 is great for an elite player.

As I mentioned before there are fairly mediocre players making around 1 mill less and comparable players with a much greater cap hit.

Too true. But, the key is to have a good #1 line -and- a strong supporting cast. Cups are won more by how good your $2-$3 mil players play than the star players. The Canucks have a cap problem next year, as Tanev, Hansen and Kassian will likely all deserve big raises. That doesn't leave a lot for giving the twins a raise.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Tciso wrote:Too true. But, the key is to have a good #1 line -and- a strong supporting cast. Cups are won more by how good your $2-$3 mil players play than the star players. The Canucks have a cap problem next year, as Tanev, Hansen and Kassian will likely all deserve big raises. That doesn't leave a lot for giving the twins a raise.
Luongo might be dealt at the end of the season and all of a sudden the team might have some extra cap room. Besides, I can't imagine the twins having a contract with a cap hit higher than what they have right now, especially the cap is down so much this season. I would guess somewhere between $5.5m - $6m.
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

Jovocop wrote:
Tciso wrote:Too true. But, the key is to have a good #1 line -and- a strong supporting cast. Cups are won more by how good your $2-$3 mil players play than the star players. The Canucks have a cap problem next year, as Tanev, Hansen and Kassian will likely all deserve big raises. That doesn't leave a lot for giving the twins a raise.
Luongo might be dealt at the end of the season and all of a sudden the team might have some extra cap room. Besides, I can't imagine the twins having a contract with a cap hit higher than what they have right now, especially the cap is down so much this season. I would guess somewhere between $5.5m - $6m.
I hope you are right about the Sedin's cap hit, on the other hand I cannot see moving Lou, we need at least one world class goalie.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I am willing to make a bet with anybody* that Luongo will not be a Canuck this time next season.

That's one of the main reasons I'm so pissed they traded Cory.

*except Strangelove.... bugger off Strangelove :lol:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

Rumsfeld wrote:I am willing to make a bet with anybody* that Luongo will not be a Canuck this time next season.

That's one of the main reasons I'm so pissed they traded Cory.

*except Strangelove.... bugger off Strangelove :lol:
Is it next year that Lou can demand a trade or is it the year after?

I can see him traded in that window, lets hope the stork, Cannata or Erickson can step up.

Cory who, the guy that had a couple of panic attacks in his few playoff games.

What is this Strangelove you speak of?