Re-sign the Sedins thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re-sign the Sedins?

Yes
75%
No
11%
Maybe
9%
Who gives a shit
5%

Total votes: 44

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re-sign the Sedins thread

Post by SKYO »

Seems to be quite the mix of opinions on this, I'm of the opinion if we are going with the Detroit model route and develop your prospects slowly while retaining your talent as long as you can, Holland would re-sign the Sedins asap! thinking it's a no brainer and I'm inclined to agree.

It's too bad the twins only want short term contracts now, but I think that could be a good thing as they are Swedes and they usually tend to be very loyal to their respective teams and if they are feeling good they can re-sign no problem, like all the older star players do such as Alfredsson, Selanne, Hejduk etc.

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Re-sign the Sedins thread

Post by Rumsfeld »

LOL Hank & Dan, 1997 called.

They want their goatees back.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I voted for re-sign the Sedins. If they are willing to take it year to year it's a godsend. Realistically, get them to sign 2-3 years at a time isn't a bad idea. I also would not be opposed to a retirement contract that allow two of the greatest forwards to ever play for the Canucks to retire as Canucks for a hometown discount.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Rumsfeld wrote:LOL Hank & Dan, 1997 called.

They want their goatees back.
Is that hanks "sucking the lemon" face you were talking about?
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I say no. I'm sick of team pussy and want to see some balls in blue/green. It's pretty apparent they aren't going to carry this team to a cup final again so why prolong the agony? Build around them? They're the biggest paycheques on the roster and that should mean they can carry the mail.

Rebuild this fucker from the ground.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I say no. I'm sick of team pussy and want to see some balls in blue/green. It's pretty apparent they aren't going to carry this team to a cup final again so why prolong the agony? Build around them? They're the biggest paycheques on the roster and that should mean they can carry the mail.

Are you suggesting tanking? The team doesn't have a young stud to build around and it's no like they can acquire one through free agency so might as well try to stay competitive and hope to draft some gems who will develop.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

FAN wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:I say no. I'm sick of team pussy and want to see some balls in blue/green. It's pretty apparent they aren't going to carry this team to a cup final again so why prolong the agony? Build around them? They're the biggest paycheques on the roster and that should mean they can carry the mail.

Are you suggesting tanking? The team doesn't have a young stud to build around and it's no like they can acquire one through free agency so might as well try to stay competitive and hope to draft some gems who will develop.
Where are those gems typically found?
Top 5 picks...

Fan man, this team core has run it's course. I think we need to accept we 'aint getting back there unless Gillis can turn dogshit into donuts... Sure there are good pieces. Some excellent pieces in fact...but the reality is the Sedins are major league soft in a league where hard as fuck is trump.

We win or lose with the Sedins and in case you haven't noticed, we aren't doing all that much winning when it matters the most of late.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I don't think the Twins are "team pussy", they need an asshole on their line who can both score and drop em and toss em. Burrows isn't that guy.

I gotta say, if the rumours about the Sedins wanting Torts are true......tells me they think the problem is with the lack of accountability that AV held some players to.....or the lack thereof anyhow.

Maybe the Sedins want a tougher team behind them because they are tired of getting their faces smacked while the supporting cast does jack shit.

Having a couple of soft premiere forwards is fine if you fill out the rest of the team accordingly. I'm hoping Gillis' adjustment is one that drops the neutering knife and picks up the pen to ink some deals (trades and FA signings) that bring some toughness and nastiness to the roster. Enough of the "pay them back on the PP" bullshit. Take the coincidental penalties and score 4-on-4. If I recall, the Sedin magic used to be dynamite when playing 4-on-4 hockey.....certainly more potent than this year's PP was.
Last edited by Meds on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

If we can sign em at a discount...

If we can get em some assholes to protect em...

If we can't attract UFA star forwards... or trade for the such....

Then sure, why not.

Personally I think this is the summer Gillis finally succeeds in bringing in some assholes who can actually play

.... which would mean I'd be great with resigning the Sedins.

They still have a few good years in em.

And they were saying (to the Swedish media) that they'd like to re-sign on a year to year basis (one-year deals).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: I gotta say, if the rumours about the Sedins wanting Torts are true......tells me they think the problem is with the lack of accountability that AV held some players to.....or the lack thereof anyhow.

Maybe the Sedins want a tougher team behind them because they are tired of getting their faces smacked while the supporting cast does jack shit.
Yeah, I think the Sedins figure Torts is the kind of coach who encourages assholish behavior. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I just hate hearing how they need someone else to fight their battles. Nobody actually scraps come the playoffs.

Why couldn't they stand up and return a gloved facewash or 2? Why get bitch slapped by every weaselly little fucker who wants to?

There's soft...then there's Sedin soft. They make Gretz look like a fuckin goon
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

How do the Canucks replace two point a game players that easily? Of course you re-sign them and the fact, well the speculation, that they only want one year deals here on out is good news for the Canucks. The Canucks don't have to over commit to longer term. If the production drops dramatically then you deal with it year to year.

As for the twins, I am hearing their preference is to stay in Vancouver, no surprise, and they will consider taking less, but not a lot less, depending upon how the cap goes year to year. As long as they are producing at their current clip they want to be paid accordingly but will leave money on the table if it helps attract the right players to get the team over the top. They also want to stay on the same team so they are very aware that for them to leave and demand top FA dollars would be double the cost to any team wanting their service. That little piece of the puzzle may make it harder for them to find a contender that can and is willing to take both of them.

And those will be key

1) staying together

2) on a contender

3) first line players

If they believe a team like Toronto is close enough I could see them being attracted to that market and the leaves should still have cap space next year to take them both.

I could see them extending one year but for not much less that 6 million. Maybe 5.5 but I can't see them taking a bigger dip than that, if they can still produce at a point per game clip. If their production or role falls off they will be gone.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
Mëds wrote: I gotta say, if the rumours about the Sedins wanting Torts are true......tells me they think the problem is with the lack of accountability that AV held some players to.....or the lack thereof anyhow.

Yeah, I think the Sedins figure Torts is the kind of coach who encourages assholish behavior. :thumbs:
I think the biggest difference we will see with Torts is a coach who says, "Win. Win at all costs.....failing that send a message."

Whereas AV was, "Win. But win our way or lose with dignity and class."

I never liked that way.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

So you're a screw dignity and class kinda guy Mëds? :D

Who knew....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:So you're a screw dignity and class kinda guy Mëds? :D

Who knew....
When it comes to winning or not winning a Stanley Cup? Yeah, I don't care if Lap takes his skate off and tries to slit a throat......just want that fucking banner in the rafters.