Re-sign the Sedins thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re-sign the Sedins?

Yes
75%
No
11%
Maybe
9%
Who gives a shit
5%

Total votes: 44

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Re-sign the Sedins thread

Post by SKYO »

"@RealKyper
Sounds like Sedin's willing to go shorter term providing #Canucks in the 7.5m per yr range. 30m for 4 yrs or 37m over 5 yrs is my guess. "
:shock:
"Kypreos @RealKyper
Sedin's contract extension in the hands of Canucks.
If ownership accepts latest proposal an agreement could be done b4 start of NHL season"

get'r done
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

SKYO wrote:"@RealKyper
Sounds like Sedin's willing to go shorter term providing #Canucks in the 7.5m per yr range. 30m for 4 yrs or 37m over 5 yrs is my guess. "
"Kypreos @RealKyper
If ownership accepts latest proposal an agreement could be done b4 start of NHL season"

get'r done
Man...that sounds like too much money. Of course, I"m grateful for all the Sedins have done for us, but their production can reasonably be expected to decrease over time and they will end up as second line players within a couple of years.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Zedlee wrote:
"Kypreos @RealKyper

get'r done
Man...that sounds like too much money. Of course, I"m grateful for all the Sedins have done for us, but their production can reasonably be expected to decrease over time and they will end up as second line players within a couple of years.
I am not too comfortable with his GUESS...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Zedlee wrote:
"Kypreos @RealKyper

get'r done
That does seem like a lot. $15M for both of them. I'm kind of curious to see how Getzlaf and Perry propel the Ducks this season at nearly $17M combined. I suppose a compliance buyout on Booth in the summer more than covers the raise, but I kind of figured we could get them for a discount. I'm not sure how much of a discount $7.5M is for a pair of (will be) 34 year olds.

I'd much prefer a 6-year $40M deal. $6.66M cap hit per, no recapture penalty if they retire, and pre-35 years old means the cap hit comes off if they retire.

Year 1: 9M
Year 2: 9M
Year 3: 6.5M
Year 4: 6.5M
Year 5: 4.5M
Year 6: 4.5M
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

That is a shitload of cap space for a couple of players on the decline. Ok sure they're still high level talent but they are declining.

I would seriously re-evaluate after this years up. If they can recapture or at least come close to their 100 point/year form then no problem on 7.5 per.

But...if they continue to show signs of slowing down on the scoresheet...I seriously re-evaluate what 15 mill gets you on the free agent front.
If you need air...call it in
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

"Kypreos @RealKyper

get'r done
hmm 15 mill for 2 players that require 1 more player ( Burrows ( to get into the dirty areas ? maybe Hank is worth that but Danny isn't as good as he was.. Why the rush ? Lets see how good they are this season..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I really doubt the cap hit ends up being that high.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Rumsfeld wrote:I really doubt the cap hit ends up being that high.
Paying high for a declining product makes no sense..

If the Canucks want to contend for a Stanley they have to build a 1 or 1a line around Kesler
a couple good wingers won't come cheap. If we lock into the Sedins for 4 years at 7 .. or 7.5 we
are truly screwed..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

"Kypreos @RealKyper

get'r done
If these are the numbers we are talking about then I'd much rather just let the Sedins walk. $7.5M per year long-term is just stupid.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

30 million over 4 is not a deal I like for the Canucks. I would sign them to two year extensions at around 7 but if they want 4 years it has to be somewhere in the 6- 6.5 million range. They are not players in the Datsyuk/Zetterberg level, they are a cut below. A combined 15 million per for these guys could come back to bite Gillis in the ass.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Some of you are spoiled man, I think some of you would still be complaining about our first line even if we had Crosby on this team.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

I'd be shocked if it came in that high. The Sedins are already set for life financially many times over, they want to win, and they know they are playing for a cap team such that any money not paid to them goes instead to bring in other players. If they each leave 1.5m a year on the table, that's another mid-tier FA who can help bring in the Grail. Do they want a Cup, or do they want that elusive eighth Ferrari?

Another 5years/30m is the highest I can see it going, and I wouldn't be shocked if their cap hit came in lower than it is currently.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I'd be ok with 4 years @ $27.4M.....$6.85M per. Takes them to 38.

They left money on the table last time, this gives them a raise of 3/4 of a million.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:30 million over 4 is not a deal I like for the Canucks. I would sign them to two year extensions at around 7 but if they want 4 years it has to be somewhere in the 6- 6.5 million range. They are not players in the Datsyuk/Zetterberg level, they are a cut below. A combined 15 million per for these guys could come back to bite Gillis in the ass.

They may not be Datsyukian when it comes to the highlight reel or takeaway numbers, and they may mot have been as integral to both the PP AND the PK, but their value to this organization is the same as theirs to the Red Wings.

Over the last 5 seasons (duration of this current contract).....

Datsyuk has been a 1.02 ppg player for Detroit.

Zetterberg has been a 0.95 ppg player for Detroit.

Henrik has been a 1.10 ppg player for Vancouver.

Daniel has been a 1.09 ppg player for Vancouver.

But you're right Blob, they are a clear cut below Datsyuk and Zetterberg. :roll:

Actually it looks like their value is a bit higher to the Canucks......
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

darren wrote:
I'd be shocked if it came in that high. The Sedins are already set for life financially many times over, they want to win, and they know they are playing for a cap team such that any money not paid to them goes instead to bring in other players. If they each leave 1.5m a year on the table, that's another mid-tier FA who can help bring in the Grail. Do they want a Cup, or do they want that elusive eighth Ferrari?

Another 5years/30m is the highest I can see it going, and I wouldn't be shocked if their cap hit came in lower than it is currently.
Most NHL players of their age and pedigree are set for life.....they still get paid.

With Torts having the Sedins out in all situations now, I expect Gillis to pay the Sedins their due and the next 2 seasons will see more youth and more asked out of the guys who are getting the big money.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

$7.5m isn't a cap hit where I'd be rushing to get a deal done.

I think the Sedins will be strong players this year and I think their numbers will head back in the right direction (and I think someone would give them this contract in UFA pretty well no matter what) but I don't think they'll head so far in that direction that they could use the market to leverage that much more than $7.5m each out of the Canucks.

Don't get me wrong, if they walk it's a short term disaster for this team and there's no way we'd recoup even close to their value out of $15m of free agent money. In fact I'd rather not even try to spend that in a single offseason because there probably aren't two FAs a year worth Sedin money or even close.

But yeah, I think they want to be here and I think if they want to get paid close to what high end first liners will in this CBA (ie. $8m territory) then you might as well wait and make sure they are going to produce like that before making the commitment.

If you can get them signed at under $7m per then just go ahead and do it now because with the way the market is going and with the likelihood that their statistical output returns to expected levels (ie. higher on ice shooting percentage, more powerplay production) it's basically a guarantee that they'll increase their value above that mark over the course of the season.