Re-sign the Sedins thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re-sign the Sedins?

Yes
75%
No
11%
Maybe
9%
Who gives a shit
5%

Total votes: 44

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Re-sign the Sedins thread

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:So Hank said today he and Dank want to stay and expect to begin negotiations on an extension sometime next week. When asked if they were only looking for one year deals he said we'll see. But would like it done before camp opens, although there is no time table :D
Right on, some good news for once! :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

So what would be a successful REGULAR season for the twins?

My predictions:

20 goals 55-60 assists for Hank with the usual shitty defensive play.

Dan SHOULD be around 30 goals and 45 assists with his usual shitty defensive play -- but after his dismal showing this season I'm thinking more along the lines of 25 goals and 40 assists... which would be pretty bad considering they're going to get more ice time.

Hope I'm wrong about Danny.

I also fully expect one or both to get injured with Torts breathing down their necks to be "stiffer".
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 7 Sep

Also tonight: Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini told The Vancouver Province that the Sedins are "close" to signing extensions...
:wow: :towel:
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote:
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 7 Sep

Also tonight: Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini told The Vancouver Province that the Sedins are "close" to signing extensions...
:wow: :towel:
How much is the question? If they sign an extension, I'd love to see $6, $5, $4, $3 over 4 years, with a $4..5mil cap hit per year. They are still great players, but are starting to slip a bit. And, there is every chance that their value will go down over the course of the year if their numbers slip.

Just no NTC please. OK, maybe have a NTC that says they must be traded to the same team, but, not a blanket NTC.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Not bad, I think $5.5M -$6M per though is what they'd end up getting for a few years, which is pretty cheap still to what they provide, especially when players like Getzlaf and Perry are getting almost $9M per as 1st line comparables.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote:Not bad, I think $5.5M -$6M per though is what they'd end up getting for a few years, which is pretty cheap still to what they provide, especially when players like Getzlaf and Perry are getting almost $9M per as 1st line comparables.
Anaheim has shot themselves in the foot for the next 8 years with those contracts. Getzlaf n Perry are good, but they cost so much, they no longer have a supporting cast around them. And, those will be albatross contracts on a couple of 35/36 year olds down the road. $5.5-$6 is a bit too much for the twins if it's for more than 2 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Tciso wrote:
SKYO wrote:Not bad, I think $5.5M -$6M per though is what they'd end up getting for a few years, which is pretty cheap still to what they provide, especially when players like Getzlaf and Perry are getting almost $9M per as 1st line comparables.
Anaheim has shot themselves in the foot for the next 8 years with those contracts. Getzlaf n Perry are good, but they cost so much, they no longer have a supporting cast around them. And, those will be albatross contracts on a couple of 35/36 year olds down the road. $5.5-$6 is a bit too much for the twins if it's for more than 2 years.
David (46 points is my career best) Clarkson just got $5.2M for 7 years. But $5.5M is too much for Henrik or Daniel.....

:stupid:

Considering there are GM's out there just waiting to offer them $7M if they hit UFA, and considering the cap will go up over the next few years, $5.5M is absolute larceny for the Sedins, $6M is still below market value.

Both of them have indicated they want to take things a year at a time. They probably really mean short term and would likely sign 2 or 3 year deals at the right price. If Gillis can lock them up at $6M each for 2 more seasons, the gives the organization a couple more years to figure things out and get a read on a few of the prospects. It also gives Gillis time to try and work a few deals to get younger and better in a world where the salary cap is climbing and not being axed significantly.....something he hasn't been able to do since realizing that his skill and scoring approach is frowned upon by the league come playoff time.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Mëds wrote:
Tciso wrote:
David (46 points is my career best) Clarkson just got $5.2M for 7 years. But $5.5M is too much for Henrik or Daniel.....

Considering there are GM's out there just waiting to offer them $7M if they hit UFA, and considering the cap will go up over the next few years, $5.5M is absolute larceny for the Sedins, $6M is still below market value.

Both of them have indicated they want to take things a year at a time. They probably really mean short term and would likely sign 2 or 3 year deals at the right price. If Gillis can lock them up at $6M each for 2 more seasons, the gives the organization a couple more years to figure things out and get a read on a few of the prospects. It also gives Gillis time to try and work a few deals to get younger and better in a world where the salary cap is climbing and not being axed significantly.....something he hasn't been able to do since realizing that his skill and scoring approach is frowned upon by the league come playoff time.
If they block shots and kill penalties and take one, in other words FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! for the team then perhaps they deserve a big hometown raise. :thumbs:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Mëds wrote:
Tciso wrote:

There were a lot of dumb dumb dumb contracts this summer. Clarkson and Bozak being a couple of them. CoHo might be one of them too. Clowe fits the description. And Horton probably does too in Columbus. But, those should not be used to judge a fair market value for the Sedins. Those should be used as evidence that some teams lobotomize their GMs on a regular basis, or believe in taking insane risks that make Booth and Ballard's contracts look top shelf.

GMMG is believes in building a team, not a top line, and with that philosophy, the Twins are worth $6mil next season. But, to sign them for 4 or 5 years at that amount would be a joke.
hist
CC Rookie

Post by hist »

Mëds wrote:
I keep hearing that "one year at a time" thing, but at yesterday's media availability, they were talking about this being their "last contract," which makes it sound like they're looking long-term.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Daniel and Henrik absolutely aced fitness testing on day one of camp. Easily the best conditioned athletes on day on the team. An important reminder that for athletes their "prime" lasts longer than others. See Alfredson, Daniel.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Groovypippin wrote:Daniel and Henrik absolutely aced fitness testing on day one of camp. Easily the best conditioned athletes on day on the team. An important reminder that for athletes their "prime" lasts longer than others. See Alfredson, Daniel.
Cardio conditioning has fuck all to do with a hockey player's "prime". Things like timing, reflexes, fast-twitch explosiveness and wear and tear on the body do.

The twins always have great cardio and that's because they work hard on it every summer. However, it should be noted that cardio is easier when you are carrying less muscle. I'd rather see the twins come to camp bigger and stronger even if it meant sacrificing a little bit of that gas tank.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Groovypippin wrote:Daniel and Henrik absolutely aced fitness testing on day one of camp. Easily the best conditioned athletes on day on the team. An important reminder that for athletes their "prime" lasts longer than others. See Alfredson, Daniel.
Cardio conditioning has fuck all to do with a hockey player's "prime". Things like timing, reflexes, fast-twitch explosiveness and wear and tear on the body do.

The twins always have great cardio and that's because they work hard on it every summer. However, it should be noted that cardio is easier when you are carrying less muscle. I'd rather see the twins come to camp bigger and stronger even if it meant sacrificing a little bit of that gas tank.
You are a decade too late. Dudes don't put on 5 or 10 pounds of muscle in their 30's in any pro sport other than baseball, and that's usually steroids (and I barely consider baseball a sport. It is a pastime) . And, you under-estimate the value of cardio on hockey.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Tciso wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

You are a decade too late. Dudes don't put on 5 or 10 pounds of muscle in their 30's in any pro sport other than baseball, and that's usually steroids (and I barely consider baseball a sport. It is a pastime) . And, you under-estimate the value of cardio on hockey.
I can pretty much guarantee I know a fuck of a lot more about strength and cardio training than you do Crisco.

Cardio levels don't dictate a player's prime... skill levels do. When they start to diminish, a player is less effective offensively.

All humans have a genetic max when it comes to adding muscle naturally... I doubt the twins have ever reached theirs. Their off-season training emphasizes cardio over strength, which is why they had such shitty bench press numbers for guys their size a few camps ago. It's basically impossible to significantly add strength when you're rollerblading 30 miles every day.

Strength is generally the last physical attribute to fade, and cardio numbers can be maintained at a very high level into the late thirties.

The point being, strength and cardio fitness fitness, both aerobic and anaerobic, are obviously great attributes to an athlete, but they have very little bearing on an athlete's "prime". If they did, Gary Roberts would be the '13 leading score in the NHL.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Oh and as for the twins' new deal, three years, 5 mil per.

:wow:

Of course they could get more, but a discount in year one might be an overpayment in year three. They say they want to win here, they have shitloads of money... prove it. Don't handcuff the team to players who don't deliver when it matters most.

The twins are still fantastic talents but the team needs a culture change and we can't do that if we're paying them first-line dollars in 2017. Next year I wouldn't be surprised if they're second-liners behind Kesler and whatever high-end winger we manage to land.

Hopefully Torts tells these guys to shoot the damn puck. This team needs a sniper soooo badly.