Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Postby Arachnid » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:I sure hope Torts goes back to the full beard.

But it looks like he just ate some nice New York....

Take it....
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Torts on the Hawks:

"Watch the Blackhawks in the Final, they're collapsing, they're blocking shots... they know how to play both offense and defense.

That's why they're there."

Fair enough John, but the totally stacked roster didn't hurt either. Lots of teams collapsed and blocked shots in the playoffs this year.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Won't be at the draft. It's the scouts day :mrgreen: Wonder if AV will be at the Rangers table or if there is this implied thing that says they can't be at the draft table this year.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Torts really sounds determined to play nice with the media here.... Gillis must have been pretty adamant about that.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:31 pm

SKYO wrote:Tortorella says he's a big believer in the process of growing younger players.

Yeah, coaches never say that.

One of the big knocks on him in NY was that he didn't keep Kreider up with the team.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ukcanuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:34 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:Torts really sounds determined to play nice with the media here.... Gillis must have been pretty adamant about that.

You know I kinda feel sorry for torts on that score.
With the moronic pricks masquerading as sports journalists in Vancouver, how long is he gonna last?
Gallon gagger alone never mind the rest of the ham fists and yellow bus riders
torts is gonna lose it like the champ sooner rather than later.
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:56 pm

I've been hearing a lot of talk about "playing the youngsters".

I hope Canucks fans realize that in order to play the youngsters you have to actually have some good youngsters.

Corrado might be ready but he's pretty frail and still very inexperienced. D in the NHL is a tough position to play straight out of Junior. He is the most likely candidate to stick with the big club, if for no other reason than his ELC.

Schroeder is tiny and just not very good. He has nowhere near the offensive capabilities you'd expect from a kid his size sticking in the NHL.... and he's not a Gallagher pesky type either. We want a bigger, meaner team but let's allow a dwarf to center our checking line? Trade him.

Jensen looked FAR from ready in his brief stint last year. Pass. Late-season callup in case of injuries.

Gaunce hasn't played a lick of pro hockey yet... you wanna develop him on a fourth line where he plays 5 minutes a night or as a big contributor in the AHL?

Just some food for thought when everyone starts getting a boner for playing the kids next season.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:03 pm

The playoffs are over.

We have our new coach.

Now I'm excited about hockey again.

I hope Torts doesn't reign himself in too much with the media.....
Meds
CC Legend

Postby SKYO » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:
SKYO wrote:Tortorella says he's a big believer in the process of growing younger players.

Yeah, coaches never say that.

One of the big knocks on him in NY was that he didn't keep Kreider up with the team.

Granted every coach has a few players they don't like for some odd reason, Krieder should do better now, just like Ballard should if a left side spot opens up, like if a Edler for B Ryan trade happens. :mrgreen:
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:14 pm

Tony skull and bones Gallagher said " if the Canucks make the playoffs next season the hiring will be a success" LMAO that's right Tony, lower the expectations all in the name of your good buddy Gillis. Lower the bar to save asses

No Tony, making the playoffs is expected! It's getting past the first round that would make the hiring a success
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:17 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Tony skull and bones Gallagher said " if the Canucks make the playoffs next season the hiring will be a success" LMAO that's right Tony, lower the expectations all in the name of your good buddy Gillis. Lower the bar to save asses

No Tony, making the playoffs is expected! It's getting past the first round that would make the hiring a success

Yeah, that's horseshit. The Canucks should not be a team struggling to make the playoffs. Yet.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Tony skull and bones Gallagher said " if the Canucks make the playoffs next season the hiring will be a success" LMAO that's right Tony, lower the expectations all in the name of your good buddy Gillis. Lower the bar to save asses

Yeah, that's horseshit. The Canucks should not be a team struggling to make the playoffs. Yet.

Just making the playoffs would be considered a successful hiring? I don't know Rumsfeld, maybe I'm getting mixed messages here, I kind of got the impression from Gillis words at the press conference after firing Vigneault that this team has greater expectations than just making the playoffs -

Mike GIllis - "We're in a results-oriented business and if you look at the last two playoffs we've been in, we were the higher-seeded team but lost the first two games at home," Canucks president and general manager Mike Gillis said at a news conference Wednesday.

"We lost consecutive games in the last two playoff years, and there comes a point in time where the message has to change and we have to be better. And we simply didn't get the result we
expected."

That doesn't sound to me like "just making the playoffs" would be a success for this team in which I am under the impression will be the exact same team next year? Go Figure???
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:54 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Came across as a very nice , respectful and intelligent man. Hmmm. Who is he and what did they do with real Torts?

LOL give him until our first blowout loss. :wink:
____
Big Dog
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:59 pm

Lancer wrote:From what I heard, I hope Sullivan isn't coming.

I hear good things actually (from what seems like the brightest Ranger fans).

They say he's a GREAT defensive coach.

They say the problem was he was also put in charge of the PP.

Bad move by Slats but it won't happen here.

Like Coco said, bring in Sully but also bring in a good PP coach. :thumbs:

Although some say he doesn't play "good cop" to Torts' "bad cop" if that's what you mean...
____
Big Dog
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:02 pm

Cornuck wrote:Sedin will kill penalties and block shots.

- jt

I'm always ranting IRL at how the sedins never kill penalties anymore.

Some of the younger/casual fans have no idea that was their specialty for their first coupla years.
____
Big Dog
Strangelove
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat