Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire asshole coach John Tortorella rum

Postby herb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:02 am

As long as Tortorella doesn’t start dragging players through the mud publicly, I am fine with his hiring.

The consensus is that Torts is a tough but fair coach, which I think is just what the doctor ordered for this group. Tortorella being more involved in the dressing room will be a welcome change from the way AV handled the team from a distance. I also think Torts’ intensity behind the bench will be a welcome change from the laid back Vigneault.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:50 am

herb wrote:As long as Tortorella doesn’t start dragging players through the mud publicly, I am fine with his hiring.

The consensus is that Torts is a tough but fair coach, which I think is just what the doctor ordered for this group. Tortorella being more involved in the dressing room will be a welcome change from the way AV handled the team from a distance. I also think Torts’ intensity behind the bench will be a welcome change from the laid back Vigneault.

I'm a bit curious about this commonly held view that Torts likes to try his players in the press when they struggle. He doesn't. There have been a couple of guys who he has commented on, but only when asked specifically about them. In general, he runs the entire team through the mud and under the bus. It's always, or mostly, a "WE sucked", "WE couldn't get it done"', that you hear from him.....it's not even a "they", he willingly throws the entire bench, both on and behind it, under the bus after poor efforts.

There have been exceptions, but they are few.

I do like how when a player isn't getting it done and Tort makes him a healthy scratch that he then rips the press and media whores for any articles that run the player down. He seems to like discipline to be handled in house and any negative speculation about a player just pisses him off. I think he genuinely respects his guys and believes that only the coaching staff and fellow players should be the heavy hand keeping the, accountable to play the way they can play.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby ESQ » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:02 am

Boston Canucker wrote:Beyond that, my issue with Torts is that he wore his own team down (this is also the issue with the many Rangers fans I know, who got tired of the shotblocking and the tight reigns on the offensive players), and that despite the fact that he had enough offensive talent to expect more production, his team's PP and offense was, to say the least, underwhelming.

That's interesting, something I've wondered about is with Torts' proclivity to benching any player (star or scrub) who doesn't perform is if it leads to over-reliance on his favourites. Looking back at ATOI from last season, he rode Girardi and McDonagh to 26 min/night, while Ryan Callahan was at almost 24 minutes!! This is the same Ryan Callahan who according to Sather separated his shoulder 10 times last season.

That model of a few players eating up tons of minutes has never been done under AV, though guys like Hamhuis and the Sedins would probably thrive (or at least survive) with more double-shifting. I'd hate to see Kesler playing 24 min a night in the regular season, with his injury issues.
Most Rangers fans I know really feel that they should have beaten the Devils last year, but among the many things that kept that from happening, one was the view that Deboer outcoached Tortorella. I'm always suspicious of the whole "outcoached" thing, but I do agree that that was a winnable series for the Rangers.

I definitely didn't follow the Rags close enough to know something like that. Though with the Rangers up 2-1 with home-ice and losing in 6, I was reminded of the first two Chicago series.

It sounds like that series may have been a turning point for Torts' tenure in New York, and he was skating on thin ice with fans (and possibly players) after that. After the similar point in AV's tenure with playoff disappointment and under-performance (back-to-back defeats by Chicago), the GM got canned not the coach.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Cornuck » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:24 pm

The Vancouver Canucks have called a news conference for Tuesday to announce the hiring of John Tortorella as head coach.

(TSN)

Guess the rumour part is over.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby dbr » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:32 pm

I hadn't seen this one make the rounds yet:

dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:15 pm

ESQ wrote:I definitely didn't follow the Rags close enough to know something like that. Though with the Rangers up 2-1 with home-ice and losing in 6, I was reminded of the first two Chicago series.

It sounds like that series may have been a turning point for Torts' tenure in New York, and he was skating on thin ice with fans (and possibly players) after that. After the similar point in AV's tenure with playoff disappointment and under-performance (back-to-back defeats by Chicago), the GM got canned not the coach.

Ummm.....no he didn't. Check your facts.....especially obvious ones like that.
Meds
CC Legend

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire asshole coach John Tortorella

Postby Rumsfeld » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:13 pm

So if the Canucks get spanked in the first round again next year, Gillis is gone for sure.

New GMs often like new coaches.

That means there's a somewhat decent chance Torts could be our coach for only one season. Here's hoping it's a memorable one. 8-)

Torts vs. Blotch at the press conference tomorrow.... round 1. Why wait?
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire asshole coach John Tortorella

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:20 am

Our old captain, Markus Naslund had Torts for a chunk of games when he was with the rangers. Nasi thinks Torts in Vancouver is a good move. So, if Mr. gentlemanly, euro-soft, nice guy Naslund thinks Torts is a good coach for us, is that a good sign? :lol:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... story.html
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Postby Cornuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:10 am

Visit www.youtube.com/canucks at 11:00 am Pacific to watch a live online interview with questions from Canucks fans to John Tortorella and Mike Gillis. Tune in again at 1:00 pm for the live press conference.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby ORCA » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:33 am

Well, I got my wish.

Now we'll see if it was the right thing to hope for.

I am excited to see him push players (most intrigueingly the Sedins) and let them play their way out of a slump, rather than blow up every line multiple times and somehow mathematically exhaust combinations throughout the season. I have a funny feeling we will see the second coming of Ryan Kesler this season. He was a firecracker under Torts for Team USA.

I am not excited for media antics and the natural tendency of Canuck fans to "poke" the hornet's nest. He will be under a microscope for sure....but that microscope should be over Gillis instead. If he does not settle the goaltending "issue", and have success improving the team's physical presence in a big way between now and october, he will have already failed the season.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
ORCA
CC Veteran

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:42 am

ORCA wrote:Well, I got my wish.

Now we'll see if it was the right thing to hope for.

I am excited to see him push players (most intrigueingly the Sedins) and let them play their way out of a slump, rather than blow up every line multiple times and somehow mathematically exhaust combinations throughout the season. I have a funny feeling we will see the second coming of Ryan Kesler this season. He was a firecracker under Torts for Team USA.

I am not excited for media antics and the natural tendency of Canuck fans to "poke" the hornet's nest. He will be under a microscope for sure....but that microscope should be over Gillis instead. If he does not settle the goaltending "issue", and have success improving the team's physical presence in a big way between now and october, he will have already failed the season.

Torts can be maniacal when it comes to line juggling. If we thought AV was bad I think we will be in for a disappointment when it comes to Torts.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:45 am

Its official:

The Vancouver Canucks have a news conference scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, where they will introduce John Tortorella as their new head coach.

The Canucks confirmed the widely expected move in a press release Tuesday morning local time.

"John has coached championship teams and is passionate about winning," general manager Mike Gillis said in the statement. "He has a proven ability to bring the best out of his players and we believe he has all of the qualities to bring our team success.”

Tortorella was unemployed for just over three weeks, let go after compiling a 171-115-29 regular-season record with the New York Rangers. The Rangers went 19-25 in post-season play during his tenure, reaching the Eastern Conference final in 2012.

Tortorella succeeds Alain Vigneault, who was fired on May 22 after seven seasons on the job. Vancouver took a 3-2 series lead on Boston in the 2011 Stanley Cup final with Vigneault at the helm, but proceeded to lose 10 of the next 11 post-season games. They were the first team eliminated this spring, swept by San Jose.

The new hire takes over a club that finished 19th in goals scored after being in the top five the three previous full seasons. Alex Burrows led the team in goals in 2013, with just 13. The Canucks ranked in the bottom 10 on the power play and in face-off percentage, and were unable to hold several leads.

In addition to improving the Canucks on the ice, a subplot will be Tortorella's dealings with the Vancouver media. Tortorella added to his combative reputation while with the Rangers, clashing with reporters and offering public criticism of individual players.

As well, Gillis has talked publicly about putting a winning and entertaining product on the ice. Tortorella's recent teams have often been more successful than entertaining.

Tortorella's first permanent head coaching job in the NHL was with Tampa Bay. He spent six seasons there, leading the Lightning to the Stanley Cup in 2004 and winning the Jack Adams Award that same year.

The Bedford, Mass., native — who turned 55 on Monday — also spent several seasons as an NHL assistant coach beginning in the 1980s, including turns with Buffalo, Phoenix and the Rangers.

He's posted 410 wins in 854 regular-season games behind the bench, more wins than any American-born coach in history.

The Canucks and Rangers have made coaching decisions in recent days that have amounted to something of a trade, with Vigneault introduced last week as New York's new bench boss.

The two clubs have not met since an October 2011 contest.

Their next meeting figures to be one of the dates to mark on the 2013-14 NHL calendar.

Good read from CDC:
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id ... L|VAN|home

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id ... L|VAN|home
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Boston Canucker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:13 am

Well, I was not favor of hiring him, but Torts it is, so I'll hope for the best, and get behind him. I'd love to see him get Kassian focused in the right direction, and turn Edler around; those would be two big priorities right there. Let's get this party started...the Torts Tornado to the Cup!
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby ORCA » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:22 am

Hockey Widow wrote: Torts can be maniacal when it comes to line juggling. If we thought AV was bad I think we will be in for a disappointment when it comes to Torts.

Maybe its just where the attention lies... I honestly didn't pay attention to the bottom 6 in NYR. Maybe its as bad or worse.

I guess also wish we had a bottom 6... :lol:
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
ORCA
CC Veteran

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:30 am

Wow, he sounded nervous and excited. Very calm and contrite. Said he has been talked to about his battles with the media and he is on board to change the perception. His biggest worry is about moving his 4 dogs here, they travel by van with the dogs, no flying for them, the dogs :mrgreen:

Came across as a very nice , respectful and intelligent man. Hmmm. Who is he and what did they do with real Torts?

To be consistent you need to be accountable. That line I liked.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat