Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire asshole coach John Tortorella rum

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Brook Ward and Dan Russel are intelligent. I've heard it all.
I was going to say...using intelligent & media together is a stupid idea :wink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Why are we even discussing JT relationship with the media?

It has zero reference to the players and how the team plays.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

BurningBeard wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote: Crawford and Keenan have taken similar photos, no?
Some people seem to be conveniently forgetting that someone else from the Rangers came shortly after Keenan. There were many reasons that "reign" was a complete cluster. It simply wasn't because the Nucks brought on a coach who liked to bust balls in the locker room, there was also some other guy... and I think he was touching them. :?

When Torts is named GM I'll start getting worried.

Crawford liked to bust balls too and that turned out alright. Why aren't people comparing those two coaches? Oh, I forgot, papers to sell.
Crawford never got past the second round. I liked Crawford, but the point of the Cup reference seemed to be some legitimacy as a guy who can take the Canucks to the promised land. Fact is, neither previous Cup winning coach got us there.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Boston Canucker wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote: Crawford and Keenan have taken similar photos, no?
Some people seem to be conveniently forgetting that someone else from the Rangers came shortly after Keenan. There were many reasons that "reign" was a complete cluster. It simply wasn't because the Nucks brought on a coach who liked to bust balls in the locker room, there was also some other guy... and I think he was touching them. :?

When Torts is named GM I'll start getting worried.

Crawford liked to bust balls too and that turned out alright. Why aren't people comparing those two coaches? Oh, I forgot, papers to sell.
Crawford never got past the second round. I liked Crawford, but the point of the Cup reference seemed to be some legitimacy as a guy who can take the Canucks to the promised land. Fact is, neither previous Cup winning coach got us there.
Big reason Crawford never got the team past the second round was between the pipes. I would argue that Schneider is better than Cloutier, and that Tortorella is better than Crawford. That's still a comparison of dubious merit, however... :lol:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Arachnid wrote: That's plain stupid reasoning and if you read it properly (which I highly doubt) the comparison was that coaches don't change. They don't have some epiphany that changes thier core being or personality. JT will always wear his heart on his sleeve, that's who he is and don't expect anything different here. It makes each coach successful or not.

Keenan was the same. He never learned or changed.
I wasn't actually responding to your underwhelming, pithy comment about Keenan.

But I'll grapple a bit.

Torts is an emotional coach but he's not the same as Keenan.

It's a lazy comparison because the only similarity between the two is their emotional outbursts and demanding coaching style. I haven't heard horror stories about Torts demeaning his own player and playing bizarree mind games.

Mike Keenan has never coached for one team more than 4 years and has a long history of run-ins with management and other team staff, Torts doesn't have the same type of history. Torts has had two NHL head coaching jobs, 6 years in Tampa and 5 in New York. That's actually pretty decent tenure for an NHL coach with two stops on his resume.

Torts may not be able to change his stripes so to speak, but his stripes are different than Keenan's.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Lancer wrote: Big reason Crawford never got the team past the second round was between the pipes. I would argue that Schneider is better than Cloutier, and that Tortorella is better than Crawford. That's still a comparison of dubious merit, however... :lol:
I hope you're right. Then again, while I agree on Cloutier, Crow's team blew a 3-1 series lead to a weaker Minny team. Goaltending mattered, especially in game 7, but they also got too cocky and lost focus in Games 5 and 6...some of that fell on the coach. We should have been to the conference finals that year (and the Ducks could have been had)...anyway, as with all Canuck memories, more woulda shoulda coulda...didn't!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sure, maybe he's trying to sell papers, but he's not the only one who brought up the speculation.
Well they're all rumourmongers when it comes down to it.

They could care less if it's lies or truth they're peddling.

I mean it's not like these morons have any integrity whatsoever amirite? :mex:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Throw in Russell, his guest (Zimmer?) and even Brook Ward said it today. I wouldn't call them morons.
Well of course YOU wouldn't. :wink:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Media guys also have their connections inside the business and they can provide inside scoops with stories and information that we'd have no way of ever knowing.
No one is claiming that in this case.

They're just "speculating".... or "bullshitting".
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Unlike u, I'm glad there are free thinkers out there who will criticizie the canucks and write/say what they think.
Oh the irony. :roll:

No one loves free thinking more that yours truly.... Todd.

In fact my recent rants have been all about how folks seem to be losing their capacity for free thinking.

Rather than using "common sense" folks these days tend to run with whatever this hack said or that hack said.

I've been going off lately on how everyone in Canuckland is convinced Gillis won't use compliance buyouts

.... all based upon ONE hack's speculation.

Even though two of the other hacks contradicted this, claiming to have contrary inside information.

But I suppose folks tend to like the first hack more than the other two hacks??

I really don't know what goes on in the minds of morons Todd.

But I can tell you that free thinking common sense is screaming:

"GILLIS WILL USE BOTH COMPLIANCE BUYOUTS!!"

Just as free thinking common sense is also screaming:

"GILLIS WOULD NEVER BECOME A PUPPET!!"
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Honestly, if u thought what they had to say was a pile of shit, I'd luv to hear u bebunk them.
I've asked you to use common sense.

Hiring a coach is one of those super-important jobs that owners hire GMs to make for them.

I've asked you to THINK about why Gillis would let an owner humiliate him by not allowing him to choose a coach.

Oh right, THE HACKS know and care about the fact it would create a dysfunctional environment

.... but GILLIS doesn't know or care!... is THAT what the hacks are selling these days?!! :lol:

I've asked you to THINK about Gillis' options should he be fired for insisting on hiring the coach of his choosing.

hint: He'd do just fine.

Your problem... Todd... is that you want others to do your thinking for you (be it the hacks or yours truly)

.... and then you talk about "free thinking"??

Please.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Anyways, I must admit, I like conspiracy theories.
... and that's what makes you a slave to the hacks my friend. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Mondi wrote:The only issue I have with JT's hire is that IF he creates a media shitstorm every time the team loses 2 or 3 in a row, and it becomes a "distraction" for and because of the media, similar to the goaltending "controversy", then the team could lose games because of JT.

Otherwise, an asskicker mentality is probably what this team needs.

Next step, cut the Bieber and Rhianna at Roger's Arena and fire up a little AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. Let's de-pussify the area experience.
I wouldn't worry about the media Mondi,Scotty Bowman used to create controversies/distractions on purpose constantly and it worked out pretty well for his teams.
I'm with you on the de-pussyfying Rogers , though something current would be better than the same old,same old AC/DC,Zep
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I don't believe the Aquilinis fingerprints are on this. I generally divide media types into two camps: those with connections and those without. Most of the local media is in the latter camp, and I'd definitely put Dan Russell and Tony Gallagher in there. Those guys literally never break a story, never get a scoop, and every article (including the ones re. Torts) are deliberately speculative.

Guys with connections include Ferraro, Friedeman, to some extent Dreger, Bob McKenzie, Andy Strickland...and Hockey Widow of course. The word from Friedeman is Gillis talked to several players about Torts but the one that jumped out was Markus Naslund. Nazzy is fully a Gillis guy, and he's really the only one who could reach out to Nazzy at this point to get his opinion on the matter.

If the Aquilinis were interventionist owners, AV would have been gone with Nonis. But they let Gillis "go through the process" and left the coaching decision entirely to him.

Also, looking back at Torts' Top 10 media blasts, most of the time they're because of the coach sticking up for his guys (like Wade Redden in the famous Brooksie one), not from him shitting all over them. Not saying he never does it, but his way of holding players accountable is usually within the dressing room or on the bench, not in the papers. Once he became his coach, I believe Torts never said anything bad about Avery in the papers, and that is the ultimate litmus test for him. AV rarely shit on his players publicly though it did happen from time to time, but he also didn't stick up for his guys the way Torts has.

Finally, Boston_Canucker I'm interested in your take as someone more up-close to the Rangers the past few seasons. At the start of each season I've always thought, "here come the Rags, finally made that move to make them truly elite, watch out Eastern Conference". Looking back with hindsight though, I believe the Rags have been grossly over-rated, outside of Lundqvist. If you make a list of the worst contracts in the League, almost all of them are Rangers - Redden, Gomez, Drury, Rozsival, Gaborik, Richards (if he doesn't bounce back).

Sather has made a blockbuster move every year that gets the national media (i.e. ESPN) in a tizzy, but almost all of them have been busts. I would say Torts met reasonable expectations with his teams, maybe slightly over-performed a few times, but I would not say he under-performed with the teams he had.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote:Big reason Crawford never got the team past the second round was between the pipes.
And his voice.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Looking back with hindsight though, I believe the Rags have been grossly over-rated, outside of Lundqvist. If you make a list of the worst contracts in the League, almost all of them are Rangers - Redden, Gomez, Drury, Rozsival, Gaborik, Richards (if he doesn't bounce back).

Sather has made a blockbuster move every year that gets the national media (i.e. ESPN) in a tizzy, but almost all of them have been busts. I would say Torts met reasonable expectations with his teams, maybe slightly over-performed a few times, but I would not say he under-performed with the teams he had.
Agreed, Slats was the problem in New York, not Torts.

Slats signed these guys to these contracts…Gomez $7.4mil, Redden $6.5mil, Drury $7mil...

Then after Torts rips Avery in the press for his "sloppy seconds" comment, Sather picks up Avery

... and eventually signs him to a 4-year $15.5mil contract. :shock:

Needless to say Torts didn't usually have a great team to work with due partly to all the wasted cap-space.

Slats also tried to low-ball Prust whom Torts was grooming as a top PKer (signed with the Habs for $2.5mil/per).

Torts said he loved Prust and who wouldn't?

It couldn't have been easy to work with Sather's constant changes...

I dunno, Sather should've packed it in about a decade ago in my humble opinion. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah, I posted that on page one. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Yeah, I posted that on page one. :thumbs:

Oops, sorry.

OR

I thought it was so good I'd re-post it :mrgreen:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mondi wrote:Speaking of wasted cap space: Booth + Ballard + Luogo = $14 million or 21% of the cap this season (19% last season)

Gillis keeps job, AV fired.
Wow, Booth was injured from the get go so hard to see how that can be MG's fault. Ballard was a good pick up at the time but never panned out but ya, if MG could have traded him for something he should have so I give you that.

How is Luongo ever considered wasted cap space? I guess Frattin, Scrivens and a 2nd next year would have been better use of our cap space last season? Might not have made the playoffs but better use of our cap space. And certainly it would have fixed our problem at centre ice right? Of course a bag of pucks for Luongo would have been better use of our cap space too right? Luongo was still a big part of why we mad the playoffs and he certainly wasn't our problem in them.

Its as if everyone believes that MG had a sweetheart deal he turned down because he wanted more. I just don't think thats true. What changed was BB getting fired. I honestly believe he had a deal he could live with but the landscaped changed when BB got fired and for some reason Nonis vetoed the rumoured deal after he took over and things went down hill from there.

I too have come to accept that the return for Luongo will not be a good hockey return but I am glad it will be made in the off season and was not made last year.