Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by dbr »

Yeah I can't imagine the Flyers having an issue with Luongo's contract. Obviously they've got money to burn.

Despite Paul Holmgren's shithouse-crazy antics over the years the Flyers are a pretty conservative organization and really don't seem to like players who rock the boat or make headlines (as we saw with the Carter/Richards trades after 'dry island' and as we're now seeing with the Cosmonaut). Luongo is a great fit from that perspective, a highly professional athlete who is used to high pressure situations and dealing with the media - not without his hiccups, but a much better track record than Bryz for sure.

I don't know if there's any scenario in which we actually get commensurate value back for a player of Luongo's calibre, but it's nice to see a team that goes out and gets what it wants - and that should want Luongo - in the mix.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Posted it in another thread, but:

@davegisaac: Homer pours ice water on Luongo thoughts. "I don't see how that would work."
@BroadStBull: Homer says Flyers will not pursue Luongo.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I can see them maybe trying Miller for two years if they can get him. I can see them trying Smith. But both scenarios bring problems. Miller has a 6 million cap hit which may be hard for them to fit in. Smith is going to want 6+.

They still need defence.

Having said that, Philly is one of the teams that was said to be interested in Luongo if they could make a roster move to accommodate his cap. At a cap of 5.3 he is a steal for them.

I don't get these teams that try to get by on shitty goaltending while spending to the cap and along comes one with a perfect cap hit. A team like the Flyers has ownership that prints money so they if anyone can absorb the salary and term.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

You know, with the Flyers apparently chasing Bobby Ryan I could see them trying to get Jonas Hiller (or Fasth if the Ducks still like JH better) in the bargain.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

And this gem from Eklund:

To the surprise of no one, the Flyers have bought out Ilya Bryzgalov. From what I've been hearing today, it looks like Philly may have a plan underway to acquire Roberto Luongo -- not by trade.

I wonder if that means they are tampering? Or are they going to trade us a player just if we buy out Luongo? Like how does one have a plan under way to sign a player under contract with another team when that team has said it won't buy him out. Yes, we may be lying and we may buy him out but are they tampering or what?
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hockey Widow wrote:And this gem from Eklund:

To the surprise of no one, the Flyers have bought out Ilya Bryzgalov. From what I've been hearing today, it looks like Philly may have a plan underway to acquire Roberto Luongo -- not by trade.
Kidnapping?
2011..... the one that got away.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:And this gem from Eklund:

Kidnapping?

Osmosis?
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Looks like the leaves tried to buy the 3rd overall draft pick for $30 Million, NHL stepped in and said "I don't think so"
Buyout trade between Lightning, Maple leaves for Vincent Lecavalier reportedly nixed

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/26/tr ... edly-nixed
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

vic wrote:Looks like the leaves tried to buy the 3rd overall draft pick for $30 Million, NHL stepped in and said "I don't think so"
Buyout trade between Lightning, Maple leaves for Vincent Lecavalier reportedly nixed

Creative move. Seems the sticking point was that TB wanted to then re-sign Lecavalier, who would be a UFA. The league said no, but really, is that fair? I understand you can't buy out a player and then re-sign him, but if it were the leaves who did the buy out, what's the problem?
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

After the buyout, Lecavalier would've been UFA, so there'd be no guarantee he'd resign with the Lightening, or am I missing something here?
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Zedlee wrote:
vic wrote:Looks like the leaves tried to buy the 3rd overall draft pick for $30 Million, NHL stepped in and said "I don't think so"

Creative move. Seems the sticking point was that TB wanted to then re-sign Lecavalier, who would be a UFA. The league said no, but really, is that fair? I understand you can't buy out a player and then re-sign him, but if it were the leaves who did the buy out, what's the problem?
I don't see the problem either, it was a loop hole found in the CBA.

The good news is that this is another item to tick off the list for the next CBA negotiations. Getting started early this time around :-)
5thhorseman wrote: After the buyout, Lecavalier would've been UFA, so there'd be no guarantee he'd resign with the Lightening, or am I missing something here?
I'm pretty sure TB is the place Vinny wants to spend the rest of his career.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Zedlee wrote:

And Nonis who has been just as vocal about cap circumvention was all over this? What a dick.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Holy shit, the league did something that I don't hate.

Hawks winning the Cup and the leaves getting the 3rd overall pick would just be too much.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote:After the buyout, Lecavalier would've been UFA, so there'd be no guarantee he'd resign with the Lightening, or am I missing something here?
I'm sure Lecav guaranteed Tampa he'd re-sign with them.

Lecav has gone on record many times that he wants to finish his career in Tampa.

He'd have to waive his NTC to go to Toronto and he wouldn't do that unless he was in on this.

He has mentioned the only team he might waive to go to would be Montreal...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

vic wrote: Looks like the leaves tried to buy the 3rd overall draft pick for $30 Million
Gives you an idea of how it is in the best interest of both the poor team and the rich team to effectively deal prospect for $..... via the Compliance Buyout. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.