Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by dbr » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 am

Nope. You can retain a percentage of a contract you trade away, and you are stuck with that percentage of both the salary and the cap hit.

So if we retained 25% of Luongo's contract we'd be on the hook for $1.333m on the cap until he retires, but $1.675m cash as long as he's making $6.7m, then substantially less as his salary drops (again until he retires).

I would assume we'd also be on the hook for cap recapture for saving $0.34m on the cap while he earns more than his cap hit. :roll:

User avatar
ORCA
CC Veteran
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Right Behind You

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by ORCA » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:20 am

ESQ wrote:
Lancer wrote:I'm shocked Vinny got bought out.
So it's settled then...

In a stunning twist, and years of redemption at stake...I woke up this morning to see Spidey finally has a chance at seeing his childhood dream come to fruition. :drunk:

bring on the fantasy line-up threads! :wave:
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale

User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2909
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Aaronp18 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:29 am

dbr wrote:Nope. You can retain a percentage of a contract you trade away, and you are stuck with that percentage of both the salary and the cap hit.

So if we retained 25% of Luongo's contract we'd be on the hook for $1.333m on the cap until he retires, but $1.675m cash as long as he's making $6.7m, then substantially less as his salary drops (again until he retires).

I would assume we'd also be on the hook for cap recapture for saving $0.34m on the cap while he earns more than his cap hit. :roll:
Ah, I see.

I still see this as a viable option depending on what we get back. Someone on an entry level deal or high draft pick so we won't have to pay a larger contract for a few years until the cap goes back up.

And lets face it Luo is never retiring, he will develop groin issues around the age of 39-40 that will not allow him to play any further.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11972
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by RoyalDude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:42 am

Could be done with Florida. They might be all giddy from drafting jones or drouin or Barkov or McKinnon and so may be in a giving mood and give us say Biugstad if we take on some Lou's salary

I ain't that hopeful. It will go down like this -
Mike 'Asleep At The Wheel' Gillis will waive him on July 3rd after exhausting all avenues pleading with a GM to help him get out of the pinch he's in. And once all 29 other GMs say no to the waive, on July 4th Aquamarine gets out the cheque book and buys him out. As soon as that is done the vultures Will circle Luongo and throw him offers.

The other GM's got a viscious crystall ball and are not about to do Mike a favor. Mike folds his cards
Walks away from the table greatly humbled.
Last edited by RoyalDude on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Arachnid » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:42 am

ORCA wrote:
ESQ wrote:
Lancer wrote:I'm shocked Vinny got bought out.
So it's settled then...

In a stunning twist, and years of redemption at stake...I woke up this morning to see Spidey finally has a chance at seeing his childhood dream come to fruition. :drunk:

bring on the fantasy line-up threads! :wave:
Wot tha foc...who's sock puppet are you?

My childhood fantasy is to see you in the Room :mex:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
ORCA
CC Veteran
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Right Behind You

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by ORCA » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:11 am

Arachnid wrote: Wot tha foc...who's sock puppet are you?

My childhood fantasy is to see you in the Room :mex:
Thats terrifying...

Wasnt it you that wanted Vinny as a Canuck sooo badly? (i'm talking YEARS ago on old CC)
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Arachnid » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:27 am

ORCA wrote:
Arachnid wrote: Wot tha foc...who's sock puppet are you?

My childhood fantasy is to see you in the Room :mex:
Thats terrifying...

Wasnt it you that wanted Vinny as a Canuck sooo badly? (i'm talking YEARS ago on old CC)
What old CC? It never existed.

I never wanted VL on our team, not my kinda player. Yzerman, Sakic yes, not a Frenchie to lead us.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Arachnid » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:28 am

RoyalDude wrote:Could be done with Florida. They might be all giddy from drafting jones or drouin or Barkov or McKinnon and so may be in a giving mood and give us say Biugstad if we take on some Lou's salary

I ain't that hopeful. It will go down like this -
Mike 'Asleep At The Wheel' Gillis will waive him on July 3rd after exhausting all avenues pleading with a GM to help him get out of the pinch he's in. And once all 29 other GMs say no to the waive, on July 4th Aquamarine gets out the cheque book and buys him out. As soon as that is done the vultures Will circle Luongo and throw him offers.

The other GM's got a viscious crystall ball and are not about to do Mike a favor. Mike folds his cards
Walks away from the table greatly humbled.
I agree

:eh:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
ORCA
CC Veteran
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Right Behind You

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by ORCA » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:41 am

Arachnid wrote: I never wanted VL on our team, not my kinda player. Yzerman, Sakic yes, not a Frenchie to lead us.
:whistle:
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17629
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:41 am

Lancer wrote: Vinny bought out.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426423
Image
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17629
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:47 am

ESQ wrote: I'm shocked Vinny got bought out....

After seeing that happen, I have to admit a Luongo buyout is looking like more of a possibility.
The difference: Vinny had a NMC and wouldn't accept a trade.
ESQ wrote: People have been saying there's a waiver window for compliance buyouts, I haven't seen this mentioned anywere,
I posted a link about a week ago.

The window is from 48hrs after the Cup is awarded until July 4th at 5:00PM (? something like that).
ESQ wrote: can anyone verify that a compliance buyout has to start with waivers?
A compliance buyout has to start with waivers UNLESS the player has a NMC.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17629
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:50 am

ORCA wrote:
ESQ wrote:
Lancer wrote:I'm shocked Vinny got bought out.
So it's settled then...

In a stunning twist, and years of redemption at stake...I woke up this morning to see Spidey finally has a chance at seeing his childhood dream come to fruition. :drunk:

bring on the fantasy line-up threads! :wave:
You're confusing Spidey with Jewie (happens all the time).

Besides, Lecavalier said today on RDS that he will not go in the west.

Smart money in on Montreal at this point.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Arachnid » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am

Strangelove wrote:
ORCA wrote:
Lancer wrote:I'm shocked Vinny got bought out.
So it's settled then...

In a stunning twist, and years of redemption at stake...I woke up this morning to see Spidey finally has a chance at seeing his childhood dream come to fruition. :drunk:

bring on the fantasy line-up threads! :wave:
You're confusing Spidey with Jewie (happens all the time).

Besides, Lecavalier said today on RDS that he will not go in the west.

Smart money in on Montreal at this point.
I disagree

:eh:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
ORCA
CC Veteran
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Right Behind You

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by ORCA » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:07 pm

Strangelove wrote:
ORCA wrote: You're confusing Spidey with Jewie (happens all the time).
Bingo. Sorry Spidey.

I took a pretty long vacation from the boards.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Arachnid » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:24 pm

ORCA wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
ORCA wrote: You're confusing Spidey with Jewie (happens all the time).
Bingo. Sorry Spidey.

I took a pretty long vacation from the boards.
Looks like you're still on vacation :evil:

I'll let it go this time don't make the same mistake twice or I might have to agree with you :eh:

Image

Although, I would love to see Vinnie here now, for say 4.5 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

Post Reply