GALLAGHER ARTICLE ON BULLIES

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: GALLAGHER ARTICLE ON BULLIES

Post by Chef Boi RD »

When you win in the playoffs you always look like a bully, cause well, you won. Albeit, the Bruins are excellent at what they do, but the Blackhawks looked like Bullies, when they won, same with Ducks, same with Kings.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
herb wrote: Another sign of how the inmates run the asylum in Canucks-land.
If there's a "country club atmosphere" then "team-management-style" Gillis is to blame

.... and it's doubtful he has what it takes to fix it. (hi Dude) :drink:
Hey Doc...I see that my mission here is coming to it's fruition. The Players Agent is on probation now.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Okay in the new gay NHL where everything is called, and skill and size (as in reach and speed) trumps power, guts and determination is better?

Is that what we are saying?

Cause I got a confession to make, I hate the new NHL with its prissy rules like the delay of game by shooting puck over boards and that hand over puck thing they nailed henrik for, or deciding that touching another player as they skate by is holding and that abomination shoot out, and road jerseys at home, and Pheonix ...

But worst of all, the more I try to keep my hate on for Boston and the more they play this retro 70's style of hockey, the more I find myself cheering for them. :( :(
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Strangelove wrote:Yup, nor did the '82 team that made a surprise SCF appearance.

And is it just a coincidence that every team to eliminate your Vancouver Canucks in the last few years

.... just happened to be tougher than your Vancouver Canucks?

Methinks a team needs a nice blend of fancy-boys and assholes to win the Cup.

Methinks your Vancouver Canucks have been lacking in the Asshole Department for years.
I'd say that '82 team was tougher than the '94 team. Their toughest players could really play. Remember at the end of game 6 how Graves & Messier bullied our captain? That would have started a brawl in '82....it should have sparked something in '94.

In terms of the Asshole Department....I think we've got a few of those, but probably not in the good way.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

ESQ wrote:If the Lightning had gotten a single power play in game 7
One of the most ridonkulously reffed games ever! Imagine, the way the Bruins play....in a heated game 7 war zone not taking ONE penalty.

The NHL has no integrity whatsoever imo. It certainly hasn't since the day Bettman was made commissioner. Perhaps I romanticize the NHL from when I was a kid but I certainly don't remember officiating being a factor like it is today. There was always human error but this is much different.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

ClamRussel wrote:
One of the most ridonkulously reffed games ever! Imagine, the way the Bruins play....in a heated game 7 war zone not taking ONE penalty.

The NHL has no integrity whatsoever imo. It certainly hasn't since the day Bettman was made commissioner. Perhaps I romanticize the NHL from when I was a kid but I certainly don't remember officiating being a factor like it is today. There was always human error but this is much different.
The thing is that cuts both ways the lightening were free to mug the bruins as well.
Eventually if its a level playing field dint you think that skill will rise to the surface?

Perhaps the bruins are more talented in every department?
more skill, more size, more toughness, more desire, more guts?

Perhaps we whine too much about how the league was gonna change it so gutless pukes with skill but no heart could win?

I'm not sayin just sayin ...
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Yep. There's a fine line between reigning Kassian in, and letting him do what he's meant to do. If the opponents know he's neutered, he's useless. If you give him just enough rope to go fuckin crazy every now and then... nobody will fuck with him.
Would that be nice to have a guy like Odjick? :lol:
Yep. Even having Ryps (RIP) was great for the franchise. Would you fight the guy, knowing that he's WAY crazier than you, and all he wants to do is break your face? Dale Weise and Tom Sestito are chumps.

I say let Kassian go full-Kassian. He can't play 18 mins/night anyways, what does it matter if he spends 7 minutes in the box beating the ever-loving fuck out of the first person that takes a swipe at Hank/Dank/Kes/Burrows/back-up goalie/water boy???

Either I'll score on you, or I'll drag your lifeless corpse across the ice... fearsome.
Bingo! Guy should have been playing with the Sedins all season. Reunite Burrows w/ Kesler and lets get on with it.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

ukcanuck wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:

The thing is that cuts both ways the lightening were free to mug the bruins as well.
Eventually if its a level playing field dint you think that skill will rise to the surface?

Perhaps the bruins are more talented in every department?
more skill, more size, more toughness, more desire, more guts?

Perhaps we whine too much about how the league was gonna change it so gutless pukes with skill but no heart could win?

I'm not sayin just sayin ...
Not if your team isn't built that way. I don't imagine its the type of game that Stamkos etc can excel at.
Is that really the "product" the NHL wants on display? The only way they EVER move into the top pro sports leagues in the world is if they allow their skill players to shine. Do what the NBA did in terms of getting the turkeys off the backs of the falcons. Perhaps then they will move up ahead of darts and lawn bowling on the TV rankings.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote: I'd say that '82 team was tougher than the '94 team. Their toughest players could really play. Remember at the end of game 6 how Graves & Messier bullied our captain? That would have started a brawl in '82....it should have sparked something in '94.
If we had an asshole for a captain, he would have beat the living shit out of Messier and we would have won the Cup.

It really is that simple.

But noooooo Canuck captains MUST be great-in-the-community pussies. :drink:
ClamRussel wrote: In terms of the Asshole Department....I think we've got a few of those, but probably not in the good way.
Never confuse assholes with punks.

Love that mustache Clam!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: When you win in the playoffs you always look like a bully, cause well, you won. Albeit, the Bruins are excellent at what they do, but the Blackhawks looked like Bullies, when they won, same with Ducks, same with Kings.
Ummm it's NOT an illusion, each of those teams were IN FACT loaded with bullies.

But hey, I wouldn't expect a long-time fan of Mason Raymond to understand any of this. :lol:

Not to mention Grabner, Hodgson, etc....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote: The only way they EVER move into the top pro sports leagues in the world is if they allow their skill players to shine.
Why do we want the NHL to rise in popularity?

What's in it for we long-time hard-core fans? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: The only way they EVER move into the top pro sports leagues in the world is if they allow their skill players to shine.
Why do we want the NHL to rise in popularity?

What's in it for we long-time hard-core fans? :mex:
Them Yanks and Rebs already got basketball and baseball for pussy sports, hockey and football are contact sports, (that pretty much says it all right there CONTACT )

Anyway they have tried for decades to change the game to suit the politically correct and it hasnt worked.

Give hockey back to hockey fans I say!

And get me an asshole Canuck captain STAT!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: When you win in the playoffs you always look like a bully, cause well, you won. Albeit, the Bruins are excellent at what they do, but the Blackhawks looked like Bullies, when they won, same with Ducks, same with Kings.
Ummm it's NOT an illusion, each of those teams were IN FACT loaded with bullies.

But hey, I wouldn't expect a long-time fan of Mason Raymond to understand any of this. :lol:

Not to mention Grabner, Hodgson, etc....
Listen Doc, I am done with watching sand getting kicked in the faces of this team. You know me, I loved the era of Smyl, Fraser, Williams hockey. This team is embarrassingly whimpy, the playoff bow outs in the first round the last two seasons is evidence enough that this team has no back bone, but the Players Agent seems to think that this core group is still good to go, for the love of allah.

No fan of Raymond anymore, no fan of the yapping, diving either (Burrows, Kesler, Lappy). Give me more of the quiet assassins like Rypien. Not a fan of Hodgson, still holding out hope for Kassian, I just wished he had an ounce of consistency in him which is why I think he will Dustin Penner 2.

We definitely need to get tougher, but not 4th line Hordichuk, Ben Eager tougher, that is a fucking useless waste of time. We need to get tougher in the core group.

I can't stand this teams arrogance and inability to back that arrogance up, that is just too fucking lame. I like arrogance like what the Bruins have, they can at least back it up.

Not sure what the love is for Higgins, he isn't tough and two years in a row has gone completely AWOL in the playoffs. Booth isn't tough unless he is fighting Martin St. Louis. Lappy acts tough, all talk but can't walk the walk but gets shit canned. Weise I like but man is he a punching bag. Bieksa doesn't back shit up like Fiddler mocking him and is completely overrated in the tough department. Burrows and Kesler yap and dive but can't back it up cause uh, they can't fight, but they sure are arrogant. The Sedins, I like them, but have no back bone, make like Alfredsson and Sundin once in a while and fucking slash someone, take a roughing penalty, I would fucking welcome it.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Listen Doc, I am done with watching sand getting kicked in the faces of this team. You know me, I loved the era of Smyl, Fraser, Williams hockey. This team is embarrassingly whimpy, the playoff bow outs in the first round the last two seasons is evidence enough that this team has no back bone, but the Players Agent seems to think that this core group is still good to go, for the love of allah.
Yeah it's hard to say what Gillis might do this off-season. You can't go by the words out of a GM's mouth amirite? The good news is he has acknowledge the grit problem. He did seem to try very hard to lure Doan and Clowe here. The problem is he eventually failed in both cases. He also failed in the Booth experiment (size that goes to the net, but NOT an asshole + injury prone). And he has failed in his attempts to find or keep true 3rd-line assholes.

So he's trying at least.

I know: Trying is not good enough, get er done or get outta town.

The Hodgson for Kassian trade however was definitely a move in the right direction. :thumbs:

Kesler and Burrows and Hansen are assholish, they just need some true heavyweight MOFOs around to finish what they start. Sedins are pussies, which you can work around if they’re your leading scorers… BUT ONLY if there are some true heavyweight MOFOs around to protect them. Higgins I’m kinda meh about. At least he skates well and kills penalties. He’s no asshole, but at least he’s not a complete wimp. Kassian is the great white hope. A true asshole who (hopefully) can play a top 6 role. He just needs the right coach and an established top 6 asshole on the team to show him the way. If we keep this core of forwards, we should add to them thusly….

Sedin – Sedin – Kassian/Asshole
Burrows – Kesler - Kassian/Asshole
Higgins – ASSHOLE – Hansen
ASSHOLE – ASSHOLE – ASSHOLE

Now I hear Lain is an asshole who can handle that 4th line centre spot. That would be good. Sestito and Weise can keep the other 4th line spots warm until some true assholes come along. Obviously the hard part will be to find Kassian that role-model top-6 asshole. So how much money does Clowe want? I would expect that 3rd line spot to be filled with one of the proceeds from the Luongo trade (Matthias?)

To make room for Clowe’s (or whoever’s) salary… and room for more assholes on dee… we’d hafta dump Booth + Ballard, and trade Bieksa/Edler . Something like…

Hamhuis – Garrison
Edler – ASSHOLE
ASSHOLE – Tanev

OR

Hamhuis – Bieksa
Garrison – ASSHOLE
ASSHOLE - Tanev

Alberts – Corrado (Alberts is a decent relief asshole)

So we need a top-4 right-side asshole and a bottom-pairing left-side asshole.

Not sure what the cap-hit would be here.

Agreed that Bieksa is overrated in the asshole department.

If I were GM I’d ask the “leader of the defense” about waiving his NTC.

IMO Edler has been a big weenie for the most part, but he shows flashes of more.

Perhaps all he needs is a BAMF partner to help him get in touch with his inner asshole. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Anyway they have tried for decades to change the game to suit the politically correct and it hasnt worked.

Give hockey back to hockey fans I say!
Yep, I'd be good with going back to the '70s at this point. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.