Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Postby Strangelove » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:39 pm

Meds wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Meds wrote:My point is that this whole mess involves multiple parties and there is blame enough to go around with everyone.

Personally I blame Manny Malhotra...

Ok, well that's fair.

If there is ONE person who could have made a difference in all of this it was Malhotra. If he had been wearing a visor the Canucks wouldn't have been so depleted down the middle, Hank wouldn't have gotten all beat up, and we would've won game 7. Lou would've been a hero, and his Stanley Cup winning pedigree would have made him easier to trade.

:mrgreen: :thumbs: :mex:

Truth is, all fingers should be squarely pointed in the face of poster Mondi in this matter. :hmmm:

Mondi has been pumping Schneider's tires and running Lou down for 2 years now.

Believe it or not, Mondi's posts carry a LOT of weight in Canuckland!

His posts have twisted the minds of AV and MG to the point of actually favouring Panic Boy over Lou.

The combination of AV and MG throwing Luongo under the bus plus the content of the posts themselves

... have contributed to Roberto yearning for the relative obscurity of Florida.

Now, the Great Strangelove is not usually given to conspiracy theories, but I ask the reader to consider this:

Mondi on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:58 pm wrote:I've been to Russia

____
Big Dog
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby dbr » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:17 am

Question: do Luongo's media relations over the summer even matter?

I mean, those of us who logged into a god damned hockey talk message board multiple times during the month of August might think so. Tony Gallagher and the other members of the media who did their jobs and attempted to manufacture controversy out of it seem to think so.

But is there any actual, real world repercussion to declining to be interviewed (about hockey) for a couple of months during the offseason? Did season ticket renewals fall through the floor, did the team go into a rebuild because they thought they'd be without a goalie, did anything of consequence happen at all?

Honestly other than adding another notch to the belts of those keeping careful count of Luongo's media gaffes over the years, did anything come of this?

:eh:
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby wafflecombine » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:08 am

dbr wrote:Question: do Luongo's media relations over the summer even matter?

I mean, those of us who logged into a god damned hockey talk message board multiple times during the month of August might think so. Tony Gallagher and the other members of the media who did their jobs and attempted to manufacture controversy out of it seem to think so.

But is there any actual, real world repercussion to declining to be interviewed (about hockey) for a couple of months during the offseason? Did season ticket renewals fall through the floor, did the team go into a rebuild because they thought they'd be without a goalie, did anything of consequence happen at all?

Honestly other than adding another notch to the belts of those keeping careful count of Luongo's media gaffes over the years, did anything come of this?

yeah, I read the Gallaghar article and was like "you've got to be kidding me". What a load of contrived crap. Just because Lou has a big contract do we expect him to be inhuman? Everything he'd been told last year by management and everything we discussed here aligned with Lou leaving, Cory staying and the Canucks sailing merrily on. There was great discussion and even a few blue sky musings about "what if they can't move the contract". Lou had a right to be surprised and the right to gather his thoughts, muster his energies and prepare to hit camp. I don't mind that he held his silence during the summer. What was he going to say different on draft day from now? "I'm surprised as @#$@#, not sure how it all comes together, I'll be ok, I wanna win for my team... when's the next poker tourney?"

Seriously, these professional journalists must really be bored over the summer. Go cover the roger's cup or something!!
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Uncle dans leg » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:30 am

dbr wrote:Question: do Luongo's media relations over the summer even matter?

good point. The dog days of summer indeed :mex:
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Mondi » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Finally, some recognition from the Great SL. I now consider you my friend.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Madcombinepilot » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:55 am

It's been so long since the vancouver media and fair weather fans have run a goalie out of town, they must feel some primal urge to have a run at Lu...

Come to,think of it, the first goalie the haven't run out (in the last decade or so) is Lu, so this is like a mulligan on their part! They should be thanking Gillis for a second shot at him!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with untill you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Postby Meds » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:50 am

Madcombinepilot wrote:It's been so long since the vancouver media and fair weather fans have run a goalie out of town, they must feel some primal urge to have a run at Lu...

Come to,think of it, the first goalie the haven't run out (in the last decade or so) is Lu, so this is like a mulligan on their part! They should be thanking Gillis for a second shot at him!

Is McLean pretty much the only starting goaltender in the last 20 years that the media HASN'T run out of town?

Schneider doesn't count, he was only the starter for like 30 games
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Madcombinepilot » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:30 am

Not sure we can even say McLean wasn't run out..

The guy was pretty distracted after ole Brownie started banging his wife... And at the end, he had to go..

In a way, he was the start of 'The Graveyard'
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with untill you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Postby Tciso » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:30 am

Madcombinepilot wrote:Not sure we can even say McLean wasn't run out..

In a way, he was the start of 'The Graveyard'

It makes you hope that the scouting department does their homework, and recommends a goalie who isn't a headcase before we draft/trade/sign them. What am I saying. All goalies have some screws loose. That is what makes them goalies.

"Marco Belchior: Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man? "
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Kowch » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:53 am

Tciso wrote:It makes you hope that the scouting department does their homework, and recommends a goalie who isn't a headcase

Goalies that aren't headcases? What? They make them that way? ;)

"Marco Belchior: Two rules, man: Stay away from my fuckin' percocets and do you have any fucking percocets, man? "

One of the best hockey movies out there :D it gets quoted often in our locker room.

Best of Belchior
Pregame Speech
Kowch
CC Veteran

Postby Madcombinepilot » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Damn it! Now I have to go watch goon...

And if I drink too much, I'll follow it up with Slapshot...
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Postby Cornuck » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:59 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:Damn it! Now I have to go watch goon...

Yeah, I fired up Netflix yesterday and watched it. Much better than I thought it would be. :)
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:36 am

This one is pretty good too, bollywood meets hockey. :lol:

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby FAN » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:53 am

I think the Cup run kind of saved Kirk McLean from truly being run out of town. Before the Cup run McLean barely had a season where he was the undisputed #1. Anyone remember Corey Hirsch, Troy Gamble, and even Kay Whitmore? There was at least a time where each of those goalies looked like they were going to take over from McLean.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby givemeda411 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:14 am

Mclean was the clear #1 in 87-88, he beat out King Richard and Steve Weeks for the starting role. His stats won't show it because the Canucks were really bad back then. In 89-90 Mclean was a finalist for goalie of the year and attended his first All-Star game. 91-92 Mclean was one of the best goalies in the league that year, was named to the 2nd All star team and lost to Patrick Roy for the Veznia. With all that in mind 94 was no fluke.

Now back to Luongo...
givemeda411
CC Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat