Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Postby sagebrush » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:28 pm

sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Strangelove » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:09 pm

HE SPEAKS!!

@strombone1
Congrats to the @NHLDevils , can't think of a better person or player to replace a hall of famer!

Here's hoping all three end up in the Hall together. :drink:

Strangelove: The Peoples Poster
Strangelove
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:28 pm

STOLE THIS FROM ANOTHER BOARD:

[QUOTE=“Max Quackenbush”]Frank Krulicki ‏@krufrank 30 Jun, 2013
Interesting theory from a few NHL beat writers: some believe Luongo nixed up to 2 trades in the last few weeks with his NTC...

If this is true, the Canucks were being forced to buy him out so he could go to Florida (likely) or they had to trade Schneider.

From the same source last year: Frank Krulicki ‏@krufrank 25 Jun 2012
...as well placed insiders saying Luongo is only willing to waive NTC for Florida -already turning down TO and Chi

Before you say this is just a rumor from a bad source, the same source claims:

Frank Krulicki ‏@krufrank 1 July, 2013
Will be visiting with Luongo in a couple of weeks: yes the Luongo saga will likely continue all summer long.

So it appears Strombone1 was trying to force GMMG's hand and no wonder Strombone1 was shocked by the Schneider trade.

Another note: it was widely reported last year that Strombone1 had met with the Florida ownership group and that Tallon had been given the ok to upload his salary onto their payroll. It was later reported that Strombone1 was unhappy that Florida had declined to acquire him when the path was there.

Anyway, for Strombone1 and his agent to make the (rumored) current power move, he must have thought it was likely that once the Canucks bought him out that Florida would sign him.

If these rumors are correct the Canucks probably have a pretty good case for collusion or maybe they are just waiting for Florida to actually pay them to acquire Strombone1?????[/QUOTE]

LOFL, this is the neverending story! :lol:

Don't believe everything you here folks...

Strangelove: The Peoples Poster
Strangelove
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:46 pm

It won't end. I was told at the end of the season that MG had already told Luongo and his agent that a buy out was not an option for him. That had been made abundantly clear to him.

Like why would Chicago want him. Crawford was outstanding in the playoffs and they just won a cup and needed to clear cap space.

Is it possible he and his agent gambled? Of course. Could Luongo still be traded? Of course. For what its worth I was told as late as last Thursday that Luongo had still not been asked to waive his NTC, which of course implies that MG did not have any deals in the works to take to Luongo.

I think everyone, including Luongo and his agent thought someone would bite at the midnight hour. No one did.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ClamRussel » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:59 pm

I have it from a good source that early last season Luongo nixed a deal to Philadelphia that also included Ballard. Both sides believed it was a done deal not unlike Boston w/ Iginla.

Perhaps there is something that can be done w/ Buffalo for Miller. 2 premiere goalies who need new addresses.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:19 pm

If it is true that Luongo refused to waive then MG has played this well because he hasn't even hinted that the NTC has been a problem. Is this what Luongo meant yesterday when he tweeted NOtradeclause? Did he veto trade(s) in the hopes of getting bought out? Did he really want to stay in Vancouver? I dunno?

I would not find it hard to believe that he and his agent tried to box the Canucks into a corner banking on a buy out that never came. It would be inconsistent with what I have been told but that doesn't mean much I know. We really do need to wait for the book to come out :D
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SKYO » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:32 pm

Do the unthinkable and trade lu for another goalie like Miller or Price then. :o

NeverEndingCanucksDebacle.
SKYO
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ClamRussel » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:If it is true that Luongo refused to waive then MG has played this well because he hasn't even hinted that the NTC has been a problem. Is this what Luongo meant yesterday when he tweeted NOtradeclause? Did he veto trade(s) in the hopes of getting bought out? Did he really want to stay in Vancouver? I dunno?

I would not find it hard to believe that he and his agent tried to box the Canucks into a corner banking on a buy out that never came. It would be inconsistent with what I have been told but that doesn't mean much I know. We really do need to wait for the book to come out :D

That was a very intriguing tweet, certainly seems to hint there is more to this than is being reported.
I took it to mean Lu holds the hammer and has reclaimed his throne....although I wouldn't be surprised they were positioning themselves for the buyout.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Reefer2 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Just assume a scenario where Luongo is traded for someone like Miller, does this not mean that his NTC is no longer valid?
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby wafflecombine » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 pm

SKYO wrote:Do the unthinkable and trade lu for another goalie like Miller or Price then. :o

Put either of those guys on font of our leaky defence and enimic offence and oh yeah they'll be brilliant....not.

Our goal position wasn't an issue this year when examined critically. We had defensive lapses, poor scoring and both goalie let in fewer soft goals this year. Where Lou's stats got destroyed was in those couple of games where AV refused to pull him, the team fell apart and 8 goals went in.

Tortarella will bag skate the team with a bull whip if that happens this year. Lou will finally get a defense like ome of the others around the league have. Watch his stats rebound this year and be prepared to cheer Looooooouuuuuuu.

Edited for Canada day festivities :)
Last edited by wafflecombine on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Reefer2 wrote:Just assume a scenario where Luongo is traded for someone like Miller, does this not mean that his NTC is no longer valid?

As far as I know a team trading for a player with a NTC has the option of transferring the NTC. But one would assume that a player waiving his NTC would only do so if the trading team agreed. But I'm guessing.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby CFP! » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:46 pm

wafflecombine wrote: in those couple of games where gillis refused to pull him,

You mean AV right?

Regardless I really hope Luo own Rogers place. Comes back, kicks ass and gets traded next year. I mean, he had to at least ask Gina about that contract and Jeff Brown being in the area in the off season anyways. ;)
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Topper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:If it is true that Luongo refused to waive then MG has played this well because he hasn't even hinted that the NTC has been a problem. Is this what Luongo meant yesterday when he tweeted NOtradeclause? Did he veto trade(s) in the hopes of getting bought out? Did he really want to stay in Vancouver? I dunno?

I don't think the relationship ever became toxic.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby tantalum » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:20 am

The only time the receiving team can choose not to honor a NTC is if the player can not yet have a NTC (i.e. he isn't old enough) and his current contract has the NTC in later years. Upon acquiring the player the receiving team has 24 hours to notify the player that they will or will not honor the NTC. This applies to guys like Jeff Carter and Mike Richards and would have been Edler had he been moved. The jackets declined to honor Carter's NTC so he no longer has one. Richards I'm not sure about but I would imagine the Kings chose not to honor it to give them maximum flexibility.

For a guy like Luongo, the NTC must always be honored even after being moved.

I believe everybody when they say Luongo has not been formally asked to waive his NTC. He hasn't been asked to waive it during a trade call or fill out whatever paperwork needs to be done. However, I think it would be foolish to think that where he would accept a trade to weren't known to Gillis.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby tantalum » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:29 am

wafflecombine wrote:
SKYO wrote:Do the unthinkable and trade lu for another goalie like Miller or Price then. :o

Put either of those guys on font of our leaky defence and enimic offence and oh yeah they'll be brilliant....not.

Our goal position wasn't an issue this year when examined critically. We had defensive lapses, poor scoring and both goalie let in fewer soft goals this year. Where Lou's stats got destroyed was in those couple of games where AV refused to pull him, the team fell apart and 8 goals went in.

Tortarella will bag skate the team with a bull whip if that happens this year. Lou will finally get a defense like ome of the others around the league have. Watch his stats rebound this year and be prepared to cheer Looooooouuuuuuu.

Edited for Canada day festivities :)

correct. People are pointing way too much at the 0.907 SV% from this year in what is a small sample for a goaltender...20 games. Most goaltenders in any year are going to have that 15-20 game stretch where the stats aren't great (see Schneider's first 15 games for instance). They then point at his 0.928 two seasons ago, the 0.919 the following season and the 0.907 as some sort of trend. They conveniently leave of the 0.913 that preceded the 0.928 and fail to mention that the 0.919 as a starter for 2011/12 was bang on his career average. The stats don't really point out a decline at all.

Now we can talk about playoff meltdowns etc and question the mental fortitude and rightfully so. However, we can't compare it to Schneider as the ginger simply doesn't have the playoff experience to know how he'll hold up though we DO know he has his own mental issues ("dehydration" it wasn't).

The correct move was made for the organization on Sunday. And like Strangelove I wouldn't be completely shocked to also see Luongo moved now that teams know he isn't being waived or bought out. The Flyers still desperately need a new goaltender for instance. The Panthers would be unwise to count on Markstrom who is still entirely inconsistent. Of course moving Luongo puts Gillis is some hurt if he can't dig up a starter from somewhere.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat