Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Post by Vader »

Hockey Widow wrote: If Luongo refuses to report because he is demanding a trade he can be suspended. A suspended players cap does not count against the cap.
Don't think that's correct in the case of contracts that are greater than 7 years.

Otherwise Luongo would tell any team that acquires him he won't report for the final 2/3 years of his deal and voila no cap hit - which would obviously render this cap recapture rule meaningless.

Strangelove will go postal if he reads this
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ODB wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
How the fuck is Philly going to land Lou without trading for him. Unless GMMG is planning a buy out?
Yeah, that's one way to get around the big contract buy him out trade something back allow the Philly Steaks to sign at a reduced price...viola....everybody is happy...except Dave (Nonuts :wink: )
But what's to stop Lou from signing in Florida for $2.75 a year?[/quote]

True dat, I would think MG will have OK'd it with LuoDawg before hand and said to him...'RL, I know how it is to be whipped by your wife every day, believe me, I get it like no other so how about I put you close to home but not at home, you just gotta do your GM pal one last little flavour....'

BoddaBoomBoddaBing! :mex:

Everybodies happy...and the Flyers never traded for him...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well, we can't trade him to Philly yet anyway as they are over their 10% cap allotment until the buyouts take effect which isn't until 48 hours after the cup was awarded. So lets say that is tomorrow night then the NHL does its due diligence and then the cap comes off the books and then Philly has the cap space to make the trade and announce that other signing, officially.

As to the Flyers working on another plan call it crap. Of course they need a plan to get a goalie but to imply they will grab Luongo the moment he is bought out is presumptuous on their part that he would sign there unless they have already talked to him and that is tampering.

AS to what MG will do I have no idea. I have heard he does not plan to exercise any of his buyouts on current players so that does not preclude him from trading Luongo and taking a shit contract back with the intention of buying it out. If it's the Flyers lets say, this would give them in essence three compliance buyouts but it would cost them assets in acquiring Luongo. I don't rule that out at all as Doc has been saying.

But I also don't think MG would show his hand either. Of course he is going to say no buyouts cause he will want to try and trade players first and get something, anything, back and save the owner money. So just because I have heard he has said he is not considering buyouts don't believe it, he has to.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bob MacKenzie tweeted it today and Holmgren himself said it today. The Flyers have no interest in Luongo

Will not be surprised if Gillis waives Luongo and if no team picks him up, Aquamarine will have no choice but to buy him out like bryzgalov.

Then the panthers will scoop him up on a new cheapo contract
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Flyers probably looking at Smith or Miller.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rumsfeld wrote:Flyers probably looking at Smith or Miller.
I just don't see the Flyers skating on thin ice by taking a chance on another goalie who is 34 and ain't exactly playing at an elite level with a massive long term contract like the one they just bought out.

I think most GM's are just gonna sit and wait for Gillis to push the panic button cause Gillis has used up every single one of his mulligans on waiting it out until the right offer comes around. For the sake of everybody, Mike needs to do the respectful thing and move Luongo somewhere between the draft and July 5, get him settled into his new digs, he owes him that. Last season was a gong show and Luongo was first class. Mike needs to put this thing to bed and ain't no GM out there gonna rush that to make Mikes' life easy. They will just sit and sit and sit and sit. Fuck did Mikey ever fuck himself. I thought the dude was a genius?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:Bob MacKenzie tweeted it today and Holmgren himself said it today. The Flyers have no interest in Luongo

Will not be surprised if Gillis waives Luongo and if no team picks him up, Aquamarine will have no choice but to buy him out like bryzgalov.

Then the panthers will scoop him up on a new cheapo contract

I think what he said, when asked if he was interested in Luongo was that

1) he can't discuss a player under contract with another team

2) don't know how that would work

3) No player is off the table. He expects to be very busy over the next 10 days and would not rule out any possibility at this point.

Far from saying no. But then Holmgren also said he would not buy out Bryzgalov and goaltending was not their problem last year. I also know that the Flyers were one of the teams that were interested in Luongo if he was still available this year. It wouldn't have worked last year because if they bought Bryzgalov out last year it still would have counted on the cap for that season.

Now I obviously have no idea if he is interested in Luongo but he has far from shut the door on the rumours. One would think though that he has some plan in the works to land a goalie. I have not heard him say unequivocally that he is not interested in Luongo as some media are reporting, just that he isn't sure how it would work. Well, as of today, and including Streit he has about 4.5 million in cap. Pronger's cap is still on the books until the season starts. If the Canucks take a big contract back they suddenly have a ton of room.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So Mg said today he has not ruled out using his compliance buyouts and all options are still on the table. That should put to rest the rumours I help spread :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:So Mg said today he has not ruled out using his compliance buyouts and all options are still on the table. That should put to rest the rumours I help spread :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
uh-huh.... it's SO lonely at the top. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Hummm, I’m wondering, have any of you considered what happens if Lou refuses to wave his not trade? What if Lou says rather than going to where ever, you fuckers can buy me out and I’ll sign where I please as a free agent and in the long run I’ll bank more?

No wonder GMMG was sweating like a pig and was so red in the face he looked to have arteries shredding in his chest at yesterdays presser.

He’s really fucked this one up hasn’t he? :lol:

I might seriously consider trading Schneider at the draft. Just sayin...
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ODB wrote:Hummm, I’m wondering, have any of you considered what happens if Lou refuses to wave his not trade? What if Lou says rather than going to where ever, you fuckers can buy me out and I’ll sign where I please as a free agent and in the long run I’ll bank more?
You've got to waive a player to buy them out.

If Roberto's angling for a buy out (and nothing about him as a player or person suggests he'd go this route) then he can enjoy the winters in Edmonton, or the rewarding feeling that comes from putting on a Columbus Blue Jackets sweater every night.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

dbr wrote:
ODB wrote:Hummm, I’m wondering, have any of you considered what happens if Lou refuses to wave his not trade? What if Lou says rather than going to where ever, you fuckers can buy me out and I’ll sign where I please as a free agent and in the long run I’ll bank more?
You've got to waive a player to buy them out.

If Roberto's angling for a buy out (and nothing about him as a player or person suggests he'd go this route) then he can enjoy the winters in Edmonton, or the rewarding feeling that comes from putting on a Columbus Blue Jackets sweater every night.
You have a point. Maybe Edmonton thinks they wouldn't land Lou as a free agent so they take on the contract. Alight, move along, nothing to see here.

*ohdee punches self in dick*
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

No wonder GMMG was sweating like a pig and was so red in the face he looked to have arteries shredding in his chest at yesterdays presser.

He’s really fucked this one up hasn’t he? :lol:

I might seriously consider trading Schneider at the draft. Just sayin...
I think that boat has already sailed there ODBster....

8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vader wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: If Luongo refuses to report because he is demanding a trade he can be suspended. A suspended players cap does not count against the cap.
Don't think that's correct in the case of contracts that are greater than 7 years.

Otherwise Luongo would tell any team that acquires him he won't report for the final 2/3 years of his deal and voila no cap hit - which would obviously render this cap recapture rule meaningless.

Strangelove will go postal if he reads this
Vader, just caught this post, was in scanning mode yesterday and missed it.

HW is right in that Luongo's cap-hit would be gone if he were suspended

(that wasn't the case with Thomas because he was 35+ when he signed that deal).

CBA section 50.10.(c) For Players that are suspended, either by a Club or by the League, the Player Salary and Bonuses that are not paid to such Players shall not count against a Club's Upper Limit.

(the NHL later clarified: except for cases that invoke the Over 35+ Rule)

Not sure how you equate that with dodging the Recapture rule though.

I don't know, but I would think the Recapture would come into play at some point.

Which means some kind of cap-hit penalty at some point? Right away? Dunno.

Capgeek: if Lu retires or defects (wouldn't this count as a defection?) in '13 the cap penalty would be $825,556.

Every season 2013-14 through 2021-22.

Anyway, it doesn't matter because Lu is not going to allow himself to be suspended.

He wouldn't get paid and he'd be putting LESS pressure on the Canucks to trade him.

Besides, Canucks could elect to NOT suspend him and waive him instead and he ends up Blue Jacket property.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Kipper retires is there a recapture penalty in play for the Flames? If he just says he is not coming back and does not file his retirement papers and there is no cap recapture penalty then we have our answer don't we?