Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:If Kipper retires is there a recapture penalty in play for the Flames? If he just says he is not coming back and does not file his retirement papers and there is no cap recapture penalty then we have our answer don't we?
Kipper's contract is not affected by the Recapture Rule as it is only a 6-year contract

(only 7-year+ contracts fall under this rule).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:If Kipper retires is there a recapture penalty in play for the Flames? If he just says he is not coming back and does not file his retirement papers and there is no cap recapture penalty then we have our answer don't we?
Kipper's contract is not affected by the Recapture Rule as it is only a 6-year contract

(only 7-year+ contracts fall under this rule).
Oh, small detail!
The only HW the Canucks need
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Strangelove wrote:
Vader wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: If Luongo refuses to report because he is demanding a trade he can be suspended. A suspended players cap does not count against the cap.
Don't think that's correct in the case of contracts that are greater than 7 years.

Otherwise Luongo would tell any team that acquires him he won't report for the final 2/3 years of his deal and voila no cap hit - which would obviously render this cap recapture rule meaningless.

Strangelove will go postal if he reads this

HW is right in that Luongo's cap-hit would be gone if he were suspended
If HW is right then
1. if you retire, recapture rule kicks in and cap penalty occurs, no salary is paid out in cash
2. if you fail to report, then the team suspends and no recapture rule and no cap hit, no salary is paid out in cash

Doesn't make sense. The player would agree with the team to fail to report during the low $$ years of the contract and be suspended with no cap consequences??

Failing to report = defecting from the contract = recapture penalty
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vader wrote:
Strangelove wrote: HW is right in that Luongo's cap-hit would be gone if he were suspended
If HW is right then
1. if you retire, recapture rule kicks in and cap penalty occurs, no salary is paid out in cash
2. if you fail to report, then the team suspends and no recapture rule and no cap hit, no salary is paid out in cash
She never said the bolded part...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Strangelove wrote:
Vader wrote:
Strangelove wrote: HW is right in that Luongo's cap-hit would be gone if he were suspended
If HW is right then
She never said the bolded part...
Yeah - re-read HW's original post ....so it would seem there would at least be the recapture hit if you fail to report

Carry on (or not)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

HW's original post:
Hockey Widow wrote: If Luongo refuses to report because he is demanding a trade he can be suspended. A suspended players cap does not count against the cap.
WTF Vader??
____
Try to focus on someday.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Strangelove wrote:HW's original post:
WTF Vader??

Then HW said
His full cap hit does not apply if he signed the contract before age 35, it is the new cap recapture clause that applies and it is split between any team having the advantage of the lower cap in some strange pro rated way. In fact it could be worse for us.
I failed to digest that part of HW's post when I first read it so I think to summarize:
1. If you retire - recapture penaly kicks in
2. If you fail to report and are suspended - recapture penalty kicks in

Either way there is some kind of cap penalty for not playing out the contract, barring injury :whistle:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vader wrote: I failed to digest that part of HW's post when I first read it so I think to summarize:
1. If you retire - recapture penalty kicks in
2. If you fail to report and are suspended - recapture penalty kicks in
Yup yup yup...
____
Try to focus on someday.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

interesting twist...
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 58s

Any player with No Move clause (Lecavalier, Briere) can be bought out without going on waivers if they elect to opt out of waiver option.
So, ya, Lou could refuse to accept a trade and he could force a buy out banking more in the long run!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Punch yourself in the dick again, Luongo has no NMC.. just a no trade clause. He'd still get scooped up on waivers.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

dbr wrote:Punch yourself in the dick again, Luongo has no NMC.. just a no trade clause. He'd still get scooped up on waivers.
I know I should know this but if someone picks him up on waivers are the Nucks responsable for part of his cap or something?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: I know I should know this but if someone picks him up on waivers are the Nucks responsable for part of his cap or something?
Nope.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Reefer2 wrote: I know I should know this but if someone picks him up on waivers are the Nucks responsable for part of his cap or something?
Nope.

For some reason it would piss e off if Philly were able to grab him on waivers. I would have to hope 7uongo would be the goalie they get.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

@hfialkov on Twitter (local Panthers writer)

"Panthers are letting C Stephen Weiss, G Jose Theodore test free agency next week. #flapanthers"
.... makin room for Lou & Schroeder. :mex:

Lou & Schroeder... FOR... Matthias & Petrovic :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

fwiw

"Luongo will not be bought out" - Pierre Lebrun
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.