Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Post by vic »

Mondi wrote:Whatever Tony G said in his piece, I agree with most of it.

Report to camp, strap on the pads, make some saves. Stop talking to the media. And, stop talking about "blacking out". $65 million reasons to relax and feel great about your life living in the 0.000001%.
Wasn't this the issue leading up to the TSN interview? All the stories were about how silent he's been.

Now that he finally speaks he's suppose to just shut up and play hockey?

WTF? If it is true that he wants out of Vancouver, it can't be the fans or the management, it has to point directly to Tony G and his media cronies....
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

vic wrote:

Report to camp, strap on the pads, make some saves. Stop talking to the media. And, stop talking about "blacking out". $65 million reasons to relax and feel great about your life living in the 0.000001%.
Wasn't this the issue leading up to the TSN interview? All the stories were about how silent he's been.

WTF? If it is true that he wants out of Vancouver, it can't be the fans or the management, it has to point directly to Tony G and his media cronies....

Gallagher didn't suggest Luongo should not be talking to the media...he's calling him out for not talking sooner - his silence has turned this into a yet another sideshow. Removing the sideshow was the reason to trade a goalie, was it not?

This was a rare article where I agree with Gallagher. Did Luongo really need 6-7 weeks to make a public statement? Luongo's not helping his or the teams situation at all
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Between Gallagher and MacIntyre... man... just shut up already. Vancouver has some of the worst media hacks in all of sports.

You know Luongo is watching for stuff like this

Would you be happy about returning to a market like this when the "top" beat writers in the town are writing shit like this? I'm pretty sure with the way everything went down, if you were in his shoes, you'd do the same thing.

You can't keep bitching and moaning that Luongo feels ostracized while you're... I dunno... ostracizing him. It doesn't matter how much money he's getting paid, he's still allowed to feel unhappy. He's allowed to speak his mind. Especially when people have been complaining he's been too quiet.

For the most part, he (Luongo) has shown class and professionalism through this entire saga. If only the media in Vancouver could be half as professional and have a quarter of the class.

I won't hold my breath.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mondi wrote:
vic wrote:

Well, to clarify, my position is that I agree with most of what TG said in his piece. Not all. And I certainly don't agree with the sensationalist headlines that The Province editors continue to rely upon with respect to the Canucks.

The rest of the statement was my own. As for your statement that Luongo would only want out of Vancouver because of the media, I have to respectfully disagree. I argue that management is mostly to blame (along with other factors outside of the control of Vancouver) for the Luongo "situation".

As for don't speak to the media? I guess I could have said, don't bother with the three-part nationally broadcasted sit-down to discuss the on-going drama.

Sure he can speak his mind, but so can anyone. A guy making that kind of money, and who signed that kind of contract should be able to perform his end of the bargain. A contract is between two parties, and when agree to perform it...guess what? You should expect to perform it.

All I'm saying is that he's had two months+ to get ready to play hockey for 6 months and make about $6 million while he's at it. Not exactly "blackout" territory if you ask me.

I'm sick of this player dominating the news about our team. He's a piece of a much larger puzzle and he should start acting like it.
I don't think it's really fair to lay the blame at any one person's feet in this.

Management is to blame because they allowed Vigneault to throw Luongo to the lions, and then they were unable to get a deal in place that moved Luongo. In this perhaps Gillis overvalued Luongo, and that is his mistake. The new CBA, buyouts, and salary cap rollback were outside of management's control. If Toronto tampered and muddied the trade market, and by all rights it sounds like they did, that too is outside of the Canucks' control. Gillis couldn't exactly force a team to make a fair trade if that team wasn't interested.

If the rumors are true about Roberto's infidelity, then he takes a big chunk of the blame for the whole situation. If they are not, then he still shares in some of the blame for some of his comments to the media, and uptight public persona over the last several years. Last year was like a completely different guy for the most part, and I think if he'd been that guy all along then things would have been different for him. If most of this is about Luongo wanting to be back in Florida because his wife is there, then that is his issue to deal with.

Schneider developing and pushing for a starting role was a factor. Not Lou's fault (although he did help mentor him), and also not management's fault.

Vigneault definitely wears some of this. He went out of Vancouver in a pretty lousy way over the last couple of seasons and playoffs.

The media circus has not helped at all. When the writers and home networks are feeding the fire by trying to generate controversy, exacerbate the drama by playing news desk psychologist, and act like Madame Cleo by reading minds and telling the future, that can't be easy to cope with regardless of how much money you get paid.....and that goes for both sides in this, Luongo, and the Canucks.

The fact that Luongo has appeared to be somewhat enthusiastic about Tortorella being the coach, that suggests that maybe Vigneault was a bigger part of this mess than anyone has ever let on.....now look at me playing keyboard shrink. :P

My point is that this whole mess involves multiple parties and there is blame enough to go around with everyone.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Kowch wrote:Between Gallagher and MacIntyre... man... just shut up already. Vancouver has some of the worst media hacks in all of sports.

DON'T FORGET ABOUT DAVE PRATT !!!! OH YEAH, BABY!!!!
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Tciso wrote:
Kowch wrote:Between Gallagher and MacIntyre... man... just shut up already. Vancouver has some of the worst media hacks in all of sports.

I was only referring to the relevant media hacks... he's long gone as far as I'm concerned ;)
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote: My point is that this whole mess involves multiple parties and there is blame enough to go around with everyone.
Personally I blame Manny Malhotra...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Kowch wrote:
Tciso wrote:

I was only referring to the relevant media hacks... he's long gone as far as I'm concerned ;)
HAHAHAHA

ARE YOU READING THIS pRATT????
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Tony G is an idiot. If Luongo wants to talk or remain silent its his call. Why the fuck we have to worry about what some media hack says is beyond me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm glad he stayed silent when he was still emotional. Gawd knows what he would have said. Now he is saying all the right things. He'll probably talk about it again at training camp then close it down for the season. Get it out and over with. Once he is back in the dressing room he will be welcomed by his teammates and all will be well again. His problem, our problem, will be if he has his typical slow start but without CS to put in the net he will have the chance to work through any slow starts.

To me its over until the season is over. Then we can revisit it.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote: My point is that this whole mess involves multiple parties and there is blame enough to go around with everyone.
Ok, well that's fair.

If there is ONE person who could have made a difference in all of this it was Malhotra. If he had been wearing a visor the Canucks wouldn't have been so depleted down the middle, Hank wouldn't have gotten all beat up, and we would've won game 7. Lou would've been a hero, and his Stanley Cup winning pedigree would have made him easier to trade.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I wonder if Manny is still trying to get a contract.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Ok, well that's fair.

If there is ONE person who could have made a difference in all of this it was Malhotra. If he had been wearing a visor the Canucks wouldn't have been so depleted down the middle, Hank wouldn't have gotten all beat up, and we would've won game 7. Lou would've been a hero, and his Stanley Cup winning pedigree would have made him easier to trade.
:mrgreen: :thumbs: :mex:

Truth is, all fingers should be squarely pointed in the face of poster Mondi in this matter. :hmmm:

Mondi has been pumping Schneider's tires and running Lou down for 2 years now.

Believe it or not, Mondi's posts carry a LOT of weight in Canuckland!

His posts have twisted the minds of AV and MG to the point of actually favouring Panic Boy over Lou.

The combination of AV and MG throwing Luongo under the bus plus the content of the posts themselves

... have contributed to Roberto yearning for the relative obscurity of Florida.

Now, the Great Strangelove is not usually given to conspiracy theories, but I ask the reader to consider this:
Mondi on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:58 pm wrote: I've been to Russia
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Question: do Luongo's media relations over the summer even matter?

I mean, those of us who logged into a god damned hockey talk message board multiple times during the month of August might think so. Tony Gallagher and the other members of the media who did their jobs and attempted to manufacture controversy out of it seem to think so.

But is there any actual, real world repercussion to declining to be interviewed (about hockey) for a couple of months during the offseason? Did season ticket renewals fall through the floor, did the team go into a rebuild because they thought they'd be without a goalie, did anything of consequence happen at all?

Honestly other than adding another notch to the belts of those keeping careful count of Luongo's media gaffes over the years, did anything come of this?

:eh:
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

dbr wrote:Question: do Luongo's media relations over the summer even matter?

I mean, those of us who logged into a god damned hockey talk message board multiple times during the month of August might think so. Tony Gallagher and the other members of the media who did their jobs and attempted to manufacture controversy out of it seem to think so.

But is there any actual, real world repercussion to declining to be interviewed (about hockey) for a couple of months during the offseason? Did season ticket renewals fall through the floor, did the team go into a rebuild because they thought they'd be without a goalie, did anything of consequence happen at all?

Honestly other than adding another notch to the belts of those keeping careful count of Luongo's media gaffes over the years, did anything come of this?

:eh:
yeah, I read the Gallaghar article and was like "you've got to be kidding me". What a load of contrived crap. Just because Lou has a big contract do we expect him to be inhuman? Everything he'd been told last year by management and everything we discussed here aligned with Lou leaving, Cory staying and the Canucks sailing merrily on. There was great discussion and even a few blue sky musings about "what if they can't move the contract". Lou had a right to be surprised and the right to gather his thoughts, muster his energies and prepare to hit camp. I don't mind that he held his silence during the summer. What was he going to say different on draft day from now? "I'm surprised as @#$@#, not sure how it all comes together, I'll be ok, I wanna win for my team... when's the next poker tourney?"

Seriously, these professional journalists must really be bored over the summer. Go cover the roger's cup or something!!