Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:about god damn time...

"@krufrank
Darren Dreger confirms there will be a Luongo trade by or on draft day. Gillis will NOT waive or buy him out."

So what Dreger is finally on board? Like this is news Darren? Guy sucks Leaf you know what.
Maybe he's run out of material to shill for leaves Nation. Either that, or he's been told by leaves brass that there's no way on God's green earth Gillis will trade Luongo to Toronto, so there's no point devaluing the guy anymore.

Must be some interesting disucssions these days at the GM meetings.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Well Dreger and his ilk did a lot of tire pumping on Reimer and Nonis....it didn't work out so well for them. When the coach of the team strongly implies the goaltending was simply not good or consistent enough and the team is rumoured to be looking heavily at Bernier as yet another goaltending solution, it is hard to put your bet on that same horse. Time to soften the message.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I don't believe for 1 second that Luongo will be traded by draft day.

This is just another poor use of technology and a sports journalist flinging out crap waiting to see if anything sticks.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: The body of work has been fairly stellar so far
What did I tell ya, Blobby Arms likes Mike without question.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

So besides Florida, what are the options for a Luongo trade with TO and most likely Philly out of the picture?

Washington?

Long Island?

Really does look like the Panthers are it right now.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Rumsfeld wrote:So besides Florida, what are the options for a Luongo trade with TO and most likely Philly out of the picture?

Washington?

Long Island?

The Minnesota Wild might make sense if the Canucks take back Heatley's contract to buy-out.

Heatley only has 1 year left and his salary is $5M, so the buy-out would cost $3.35M or nearly $1.7M this year and next.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

coco_canuck wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:So besides Florida, what are the options for a Luongo trade with TO and most likely Philly out of the picture?

Washington?

Long Island?

The Minnesota Wild might make sense if the Canucks take back Heatley's contract to buy-out.

Heatley only has 1 year left and his salary is $5M, so the buy-out would cost $3.35M or nearly $1.7M this year and next.
You think Loungo and his wife would be willing to go to Minny?
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Really does look like the Panthers are it right now.
It always has.

Destiny.

Folks say Gillis is being the ass in all this, but I feel like it's Tallon.

I caught a Tallon interview last off-season and he seemed completely convinced the Cats were gonna make P/Os again.

Drinking his own koolaid? :drink:

Then later he was telling the media how he wasn't gonna trade any of his decent prospects. :roll:

But yeah, they'll get it done very shortly now....
____
Try to focus on someday.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Rumsfeld wrote: You think Loungo and his wife would be willing to go to Minny?
Well, if it comes down to staying here or going to Minnesota...

I agree that the Panthers are the most realistic trade partner. The Wild aren't an ideal match, but it would help Gillis' position if Minnesota is interested.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Keep Luongo. Let him refuse to report then we can suspend him. Problem solved :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: Really does look like the Panthers are it right now.
It always has.

Destiny.

Folks say Gillis is being the ass in all this, but I feel like it's Tallon.

I caught a Tallon interview last off-season and he seemed completely convinced the Cats were gonna make P/Os again.

Drinking his own koolaid? :drink:

Then later he was telling the media how he wasn't gonna trade any of his decent prospects. :roll:

But yeah, they'll get it done very shortly now....
After the trade deadline "devaluation" of Luongo, what kind of realistic return can we expect though? I get this feeling he flat out isn't interested whatsoever in parting with any significant assets to acquire RL. I think this is why we were hearing about the phantom 5 teams jockeying for his rights.

I think an FLA trade makes the most sense to most everyone except the one group that matters the most.

-and yes, that was 3 mosts in a sentence
If you need air...call it in
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Other than Florida, there is still Washington, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Phoenix and the Islanders. New Jersey may be a possibility as a real outside chance. Could Luo go to Colorado and play with Roy?
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

herb wrote:Other than Florida, there is still Washington, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Phoenix and the Islanders. New Jersey may be a possibility as a real outside chance. Could Luo go to Colorado and play with Roy?
Florida seems to make the most sense for both sides. Markstrom is no sure thing, and Theodore is certainly not the solution there. Luongo for the next 5 years or so would stabilize the net on a team that has some pretty decent parts. The return? Who the hell knows
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Boston Canucker wrote:Florida seems to make the most sense for both sides. Markstrom is no sure thing, and Theodore is certainly not the solution there. Luongo for the next 5 years or so would stabilize the net on a team that has some pretty decent parts. The return? Who the hell knows
Florida has always been and remains the logical destination.

I flip flop on what I think the return should be. On the one hand, Luongo is a hell of a goaltender. He could single handedly turn the Panthers into a playoff team. On the other hand, there doesn’t appear to be too many interested takers, and this process has publicly been dragged through the mud for far too long.

The bottom line for me is I hope this process is over with before we make our first round selection at the draft. If we can’t get more than a second round pick for Luongo, so be it.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Keep Luongo. Let him refuse to report then we can suspend him. Problem solved :mrgreen:
He will still count against the cap....