Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Post by Meds »

Ok, so this whole goalie controversy has been done to death and it's high time a fork was stuck in it and then the entire thing stuck on a pike for the whole world to see.....and it's almost a foregone conclusion that come training camp there will be a new face sitting at the end of the bench hoping to see 20 games over the course of the season. And, when it comes right down to it, the chances of that face being Eddie Lack are pretty good, but what I think should still be up for debate in our GM's office is which face will be in the crease.

What we know...

Luongo had family issues while playing Vancouver.

Lou was (is?) willing to honor his contract, be a team guy and stay a Canuck if that is what the fates hold in store.

Lou wants to be "the guy".....somewhere.

Luongo is willing to waive his NTC to go where he can be "the guy".....within reason of course.

Louie is very respected as a player, both by the team and around the league.

Luongo is still a VERY good starting goaltender with a not so unreasonable cap hit.

Lou has had 5 playoff meltdowns of epic proportions.

He has also posted 2 shutouts in the SCF, and been amazing in his other playoff starts.

Lou was very good in games 1 and 2 against LA last year, and he was awesome in games 1 and 2 against SJ this year.

Luongo wants a Cup. It's pretty much his last pro goal, though I'm sure a Vezina and Conn Smythe are on his list). :P

Schneider is a young and very talented goalie who has still not proven himself in a full season as a starter.

Schneider has only won a single post-season game and never a series.

Schneider has a very good contract for what he COULD bring.

Vigneault has been fired and Gillis has stated that change is coming.

The fans loved Luongo, and he has earned total respect and loyalty from them by being the class act he has been this year.

What we think we know...

It was Vigneault, not Gillis, who pulled the plug on Luongo against LA in 2012.

Gillis did everything he could to do right by Luongo and was even willing to take a shit return to accommodate him.

Luongo and GIllis have a very good relationship.

Luongo has the full confidence of his teammates.

Schneider would fetch a kings ransom in return if traded.

So based on the above, is it worth considering seeing what Luongo's thoughts are about staying and being "the guy" here with some changes being made. He's still a world class goaltender and one of the most competitive guys in the league. He's just had his reset button pushed, and although he wants a fresh start, could a new face behind the bench and a few new faces on the bench be enough for him?

The guy was allegedly an awesome mentor for Schneider and would no doubt be the same kind of mentor for Eddie Lack. Knowing that he would have a secure starting job for another couple of years when he starts to hit his late 30's would take some of the pressure off of him and let him focus on playing. At that point his contract is really winding down and moving him back east and closer to home will likely be much easier as he's suddenly cheaper and that much closer to being a non-factor for a team as far as cap hit and term go.

Luongo has probably realized that being traded back east will likely mean going to a team that isn't a strong contender, especially if Gillis is hoping for at least some kind of immediate help in return. It's unlikely that Luongo gets the Canucks a top pick or prospect at this point. Chances are good he brings back a 2nd rounder and either a 2nd/3rd line skater or 3-4 dman. With this in mind, achieving his goal of winning it all as a starting goaltender is a bit more dubious.

So, if you're Gillis, do you roll the dice here. Do you trade Schneider if it puts you in a position to get the best center in the draft pool? Do you take the chance that Luongo has wrestled with whatever demons have been plaguing him the last few years, can focus on hockey despite having his family 3 time zones away, and is ready to roar through his last few years of prime goaltending like a man possessed? Do you gamble that Eddie Lack is going to live up to the billing of being a goaltending prospect who is going to be as good (or better than, some have thought) as Schneider? Do you do all this to restock the bare cupboards and build for a future that isn't as bleak as what the Oilers have endured and the Flames are staring at?

If I'm Mike Gillis, then my answer would hinge on a good sit down with Luongo. If Roberto is comfortable with staying, and I mean 110% comfortable, then without question I make the "bold move" I've been advertising and pull the trigger that best secures this team as a contender down the road, even if it means having to spin the wheel and hope the changes to the team, both on and behind the bench, are enough for them to find that second and third playoff gear come spring and get it done when the chips are down and go out with only winning on the agenda rather than just "work hard and see what happens". Kill the country club mentality with that "bold move".

I shudder to think what this team could look like in a season or two if Gillis was able to trade both Schneider and Edler for some big pieces that shook the team to its foundation and forced them to turf the nice guy routine that plays and preaches politically correct hockey.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Post by ClamRussel »

The math is simple.

Lu + return for Cory trade > Cory + nothing from Lu trade

Consider the window for the Sedins & Kesler and its a no-brainer.
You can't rebuild w/ Cory because he's already in his late 20s.
Schneider would be perfect for Tampa, Philly, Edmonton etc.

How about Schneider + Edler + forward for Lucic + Rask + defenceman.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

ClamRussel wrote:The math is simple.
Agree with this and what Mëds says. Gillis has to consider it.

Plus Schneids hasn't shown himself to be immune from meltdowns (1st game of the season anyone?).
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

I understand the logic put up here but realistically, even though the math on a Cory trade is good, how can Lou stay? Event though he was a great team mate and did everything he could to help his team, every game he got sat had to be like a knife in his gut.

Lou needs a fresh start. Even though everyone loves Lou again because of his twitter rehab on his character and other stuff, it'll take exactly 1 bad game in a playoff situation and we will all be belly aching about Cory having gone somewhere else.

Now if they really want a return, move Edler. That'll bring back a reasonable price.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Math isn't part of the equation.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

ClamRussel wrote:The math is simple.

What the fuck do people not grasp here? LUONGO STAYING IS NOT AN OPTION.

Management doesn't want him here.

Luongo doesn't want to be here.

Luongo's whore of a wife doesn't want to be here.

Do that fucking math, Jack.
You can't rebuild w/ Cory because he's already in his late 20s
LOL, oh really? Interesting rule.
its a no-brainer.
Yup, sure looks that way.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote: What the fuck do people not grasp here? LUONGO STAYING IS NOT AN OPTION.
Most likely right.
Rumsfeld wrote: Management doesn't want him here.
Most likely talking out of your ass.
Rumsfeld wrote: Luongo doesn't want to be here.
Most likely right. Definitely right if Cory stays.
Rumsfeld wrote: Luongo's whore of a wife doesn't want to be here.
Almost a given.....though if she's really a whore then having the old man on the other side of the continent gives her some space to play. :P
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote:
Right Mëds, it's a ridiculous leap to conclusion, I know.

I mean all Gillis has done is tell Cory he's their guy for a year and a half and try desperately to dump Luongo for peanuts.

You're probably right, Gillis loved what he saw from Luongo in the playoffs and would love to retain his services for the remainder of his 73-year contract. :roll:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What our good friend Rummy choses to ignore is that Bold Moves Player Agent Gillis may not have a choice being that there may not be an idiot GM out there wanting to take on a 34 year old goalie with a massive contract. Gillis may have no choice but to get on his hands and knees and beg Lou to stay as it may be the only option he has and that if he gets a crazy offer for Corey that is just too good to refuse.

Never say never on Corey getting traded. It might be what Gillis has to do, not what he wants to do.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I didn't choses to ignore anything Dudarooni.

Cory is NOT getting traded. Quote me on that shit.

Luongo will be worth a second-rounder to some GM. He's gone.

Lou's massive ego couldn't be coerced into staying at this point regardless of what Gillis wants or doesn't want. He has completely commited himself to leaving and has stated on numerous occasion he can't wait to GTFO of here.

Not to mention I have it on good authority, PLUS HW's source (TSN) that his wife hates Canada and its plethora of cocaine-addicted spandex-attired transsexual bicyclists.

It's over.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Right Mëds, it's a ridiculous leap to conclusion, I know.

I mean all Gillis has done is tell Cory he's their guy for a year and a half and try desperately to dump Luongo for peanuts.

You're probably right, Gillis loved what he saw from Luongo in the playoffs and would love to retain his services for the remainder of his 73-year contract. :roll:
Oh, now you're just being petty Rummy. It's a 42 year contract. :P

I really don't think management wants him gone. I think they wanted a young goaltender behind this team. This team has failed in front of both goaltenders now.

Replacing Luongo with Schneider against LA last year didn't make much sense. Lou was the only Canuck actually playing like he wanted it, and he was getting it done. The move to Schneider was in hopes that the team would respond to the change the way they had most of the time over the previous two seasons. It worked for one game.

It was then that Luongo wanted out. He wants to be the guy. Family shit unraveled and the media crucified him. At that point Gillis and him talked and it wasn't until after they had their discussion that Schneider was re-signed to a new deal.

I do think that Luongo is NOT the guy to play behind the core of this current team. The whole team is fragile it seems, you need an unflappable guy in net. Luongo is too up and down mentally and emotionally. Change the coach, alter the core a bit, and maybe it's a different story.

Bottom line is that if management just wanted him gone they would have dealt him to the Panthers for whatever Tallon was willing to send in return.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I have no idea what you're trying to say here Mëds. I'm also unaware how you are privy to the inner machinations of both Gillis' operations and Luongo's personal life.

But somewhere there's a shithouse rat reading your stuff, nodding his furry little head. :drink:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Rumsfeld wrote:I have no idea what you're trying to say here Mëds. I'm also unaware how you are privy to the inner machinations of both Gillis' operations and Luongo's personal life.

But somewhere there's a shithouse rat reading your stuff, nodding his furry little head. :drink:
Or dumbsss
Or dickhead
Or fucktron
Or some other reference.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Some interesting comments by Bob McKenzie about Luongo.
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
It's believed NYI would, under right circumstances, have interest in VAN G Roberto Luongo, tho 1st order of biz is to gauge cost on Nabokov.

Nabokov is UFA. As for circumstances on Luongo, almost goes without saying it would mean VAN taking Rick DiPietro for compliance buyout.

DiPietro's buyout is steep, $1.5M per year for next 16 years, not to be confused with Luongo's buyout #s: a shade over $1.5M x 18 years.

No question in my mind Luongo is a good "hockey" fit for NYI but whether Isles or Canucks could ever finesse a workable deal is the issue.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

ClamRussel wrote: How about Schneider + Edler + forward for Lucic + Rask + defenceman.
Then get what you can for Lou from someone in the East, and we have a very different back end going forward. But, will Boston trade Rask if they win the cup? and, why would they?
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!