Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yes Mclean is a way better goalie. Career save pctg in both playoffs and league play is substantially worse but he's better. Unfuckingbelievable. Then again is it though ?

I guess Tony Tanti was a way better player than Joe Sakic as well.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

vic wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: On the other hand, Kirk's calm and cool demeanor inspired confidence to his team. He was able to hold the fort and give his team a chance to win when it mattered most. All the regular season stuff doesn't matter much to me, it's all about what a guy/team does in the playoffs.
What are you smoking?

Career Playoff Stats (Both goalies have/had played 100% of their playoff games as a Canuck):

KM:
7 Playoffs - 68GP - 34W - 34L - 2.84GAA - .907SV%

RL:
6 Playoffs - 64GP - 32W - 31L - 2.54GAA - .915SV%

When you talk about holding the fort, the above stats show that RL has held the fort better than KM.

McLean had the privilege of playing behind a sqad that scored 19 times in the 94 SCF. Had the team only managed 8 goals like the 2011 squad, that series would have been over in 4 or 5.
Are you really comparing the GAA and SV% from a goaltender in 1994 to one in 2012?

18 years ago every goaltender posted numbers that didn't look as good as now. Butterfly style, focused positional training was nothing like it is now. Defense was nowhere near the same style as now. Shot blocking and defensive positioning is much tougher.

I'm not arguing one way or the other about which goaltender is better. Both of them are Vezina finalists. Both of them got to the finals and came up a game short. Luongo has just had more regular season success.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Maybe we should revise the title of this thread?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote:
Wait a second.

How is he tied for second WITH Patrick Roy (an others), but also behind Patrick Roy.....
Thank you for pointing that out! He's behind Brodeur, not Roy.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Funny thing is, if Lou has just one more great season, and Canucks win the Cup, he's a shoe-in for the the HOF.

Look at his numbers and accomplishments over his entire career.

Now add one more great season plus the Cup. :mex:

You know it's true.

If this comes to pass this season yours truly will be feeding crow to certain posters for years to come. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

vic wrote:What are you smoking?

Career Playoff Stats (Both goalies have/had played 100% of their playoff games as a Canuck):

KM:
7 Playoffs - 68GP - 34W - 34L - 2.84GAA - .907SV%

RL:
6 Playoffs - 64GP - 32W - 31L - 2.54GAA - .915SV%

When you talk about holding the fort, the above stats show that RL has held the fort better than KM.

McLean had the privilege of playing behind a sqad that scored 19 times in the 94 SCF. Had the team only managed 8 goals like the 2011 squad, that series would have been over in 4 or 5.

When I look at your stats, I would say the numbers between the 2 goalies are pretty close, Lou wins by a slight margin; however, as Mëds pointed out, hockey in the early 90s was much more high scoring than it is today (more run and gun and less defensive/trapping).

Let me clarify on what I mean by "holding the fort". In the big games, all you can ask is for your goalie to keep u in the game. In the Stanley Cup deciding game of the 1994 series vs the Rangers (game 7), Kirk does that by keeping the game close and giving his team a chance to comeback, even though we lost 3-2. He was great all playoffs and was considered a conn smythe candidate depite losing to the Rangers.

Louongo on the other hand had 2 chances to bring the cup to Vancouver. In his first attempt (game 6 vs boston), he plays like shit and boston scores 3 goals on him in 8 shots and by the 8:35 mark of the first period he is pulled. In his 2nd attempt (game 7), he was a little better, but he was by no means stellar. He lets in a goal in the first period, 2 goals in the second period and the game was over. I know it was not all his fault, but Lou was NOT able to shut the door to keep his team in the game. He was NOT able to hold the fort and come up with the mometum turning save when it mattered most. We needed him to step up his game and be a rock for us, but he turned into the reincarnation of felix potvin. The 2011 canucks pretty much had no chance to win games 6 and 7 with that kind of shaky goaltending. Lou had strong consideration for the conn smythe up till the final round, but he lost all votes when the dust settled. Just look at the guy at the opposite end of the nets, now that was a guy who held the fort and played like a true conn smythe trophy winner. It was totally much deserved for the much despised Tim Thomas.

So yeah, that is why I'd take Captain Kirk over Lou. :P
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Just doesn't look right to me... :(

http://instagram.com/p/eIIwvFS8NL/embed/#
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Jovocop wrote:Just doesn't look right to me... :(

http://instagram.com/p/eIIwvFS8NL/embed/#
Look on the bright side....he can't be on the cover of EA NHL 15 :oops:

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

OK, so Luongo is a top 3 goaltender in the league RIGHT NOW... who couldn't be traded for a second round pick or two. :lol:

Holy shit, every GM in the league must be retarded.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: OK, so Luongo is a top 3 goaltender in the league RIGHT NOW... who couldn't be traded for a second round pick or two. :lol:

Holy shit, every GM in the league must be retarded.
Maybe they were hesitant to trade for a guy who had his heart set on being a Panther Image

... which would make Dale Tallon the retard. :mrgreen:

All I know is Luongo is the #1 on a contender and Panic Attack is a backup on a lottery team. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Panthers could be in line for new owners
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/2 ... new-owners
Cliff Viner has been the majority owner of the Panthers since November 2009, and he’s wanted out for a while.
If this thing goes through, it will be good news for the Panthers, who have had to cut payroll and have been limited financially over the past two seasons.
That might be the reason why Tallon did not trade for Luongo. If the sale goes through and Lack has a good season, the situation might be different again next summer.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Jovocop wrote:Panthers could be in line for new owners
Cliff Viner has been the majority owner of the Panthers since November 2009, and he’s wanted out for a while.
If this thing goes through, it will be good news for the Panthers, who have had to cut payroll and have been limited financially over the past two seasons.
That might be the reason why Tallon did not trade for Luongo. If the sale goes through and Lack has a good season, the situation might be different again next summer.
Sounds great. We can sign the Sedins to retirement contracts, give away our 2011 playoff MVP and go back to Cloutier-esque goaltending (at least this way people can blame goaltending as a reason why the Sedins never won a Cup here) and we can party like it's 2003.

The fans of this town don't deserve a Cup.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

The_Pauser wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Panthers could be in line for new owners
Sounds great. We can sign the Sedins to retirement contracts, give away our 2011 playoff MVP and go back to Cloutier-esque goaltending (at least this way people can blame goaltending as a reason why the Sedins never won a Cup here) and we can party like it's 2003.

Can anyone understand that Luongo is the one who wants out?? Is it too hard to understand??? The only reason why he is still a Canucks is because no team wanted his contract. That is also the reason why Schneider was traded instead. I bet MG will try his best to accommodate Luongo's wish (unless he changed his mind after playing one full season as the number 1 again).
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The_Pauser wrote: Sounds great. We can sign the Sedins to retirement contracts, give away our 2011 playoff MVP and go back to Cloutier-esque goaltending (at least this way people can blame goaltending as a reason why the Sedins never won a Cup here) and we can party like it's 2003.

How old are you Pauster ? If I had to guess I'd say 18. Even though you behave like a 12 year old on here you have been around for five or six years so you can't be that young.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jovocop wrote:Can anyone understand that Luongo is the one who wants out?? Is it too hard to understand???
You wouldn't think it would be that tough to grasp, but apparently it is.

We're going to be babes carried by a Stork in 14/15...
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society