Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Post by Aaronp18 »

dbr wrote:Aaron, that's an old one. Here is the new realignment as of this year:
Well WTF, why does TSN still have it up there for?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=54483

Even the NHL still has this one up when I Google "2013 nhl conference alignment".

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=75862

Oh well, trade him to Colorado then!

EDIT:

Apparently I should have Googled "2013/14 nhl conference realignment". That brings up all the right results. I stand corrected!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Okay okay Aaron, we believe, you, jeez. :roll:

:thumbs:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Aaron should sue TSN for all the damage this has done to his reputation.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

herb wrote:I have a hard time believing the Aquilinis would be willing to eat that massive Dipietro buyout. Isn't it like $1.5M for 16 years? They'd probably rather give Luongo away, and tell Gillis to figure shit out.

The Islanders have been my wild assed guess at where 7uon8o will end up for a while now. If they had any decent goaltending, whatsoever, they would've beaten the Pens. No way in hell does Aquilini take back Dipietro though.
On one had, he's a bum, on the other he can help an 8th seeded Islanders team beat the best team in hockey.

The Canucks should trade a goalie that could help their team beat the best time in Hockey.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

vic wrote:On one hand, he's a guy who wants the hell out of Dodge, on the other he can help an 8th seeded Islanders, who played god damn fantastic hockey but their goalie couldn't stop a beach ball to save his life, beat the best team in hockey.

The Canucks should trade a goalie that wants the hell out of town.
FYP
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Rumsfeld wrote:Aaron should sue TSN for all the damage this has done to his reputation.
Now you're thinking!

NHL.com as well.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

herb wrote:I have a hard time believing the Aquilinis would be willing to eat that massive Dipietro buyout. Isn't it like $1.5M for 16 years? They'd probably rather give Luongo away, and tell Gillis to figure shit out.

The Islanders have been my wild assed guess at where 7uon8o will end up for a while now. If they had any decent goaltending, whatsoever, they would've beaten the Pens. No way in hell does Aquilini take back Dipietro though.
If Gillis takes DiPietro back and uses a compliace buy out it would be 8 years @ $3M per, no cap consequences....

When Gillis said back in January he saw no reason take a player back with term on his contract or pay part of Luongo's contract, I interpeted that to mean the Aquilini's have no intention of allowing Gillis to buy out of his problem. That being said they may not have a choice...
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

herb wrote:
FYP
GFY
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

anyone have a bus schedule for area D
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Vader wrote:If Gillis takes DiPietro back and uses a compliace buy out it would be 8 years @ $3M per, no cap consequences....

When Gillis said back in January he saw no reason take a player back with term on his contract or pay part of Luongo's contract, I interpeted that to mean the Aquilini's have no intention of allowing Gillis to buy out of his problem. That being said they may not have a choice...
I don't know if $3M a year for 8 years is better or worse...

I really don't see this Dipietro thing happening unless some pretty nice goodies are coming our way.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

The rumours of Luongo wanting out due to family issues actually began in the fall of 2010. I had heard from multiple people that he and the team kept it as quiet as possible that he wanted to finish that year then get traded. He ultimately came within a win of the Cup and quite possibly a Conn Smythe as well. So I don't buy that he wanted out after getting benched in the LA series - remember he was benched in the Chicago series already.

I'm a big proponent of keeping Lu, but I agree with Mëds that whether he stays is entirely up to him. I've never been fully on the Cory bandwagon because I always believed his great stats as a backup and split-starter were inflated by the extremely poor competition he faced as compared to Luongo. But the biggest red flag was reading that he cramped up in the Chicago series due to anxiety. Who the hell wants a goalie that, after a lifetime of playing hockey to get to the Big Game, has an anxiety attack on the ice and can't even finish the game? His mysterious "body injury" going into the playoffs only made me more concerned.

I would also dispute that Cory gives great value - $4 million for a goalie with under 100 starts and has gone 1/6 in playoff starts is not great value. Especially because due to Cory's weaknesses the Canucks will need an experienced back-up, not a minimum-earning shlub.

If there was any way to keep Luongo, I'd be all for it. I honestly thought in 2010-11 and 11-12 that Cory was getting pumped with easy starts to boost his trade value. Unfortunately, MG and AV didn't do that for Luongo this year, plus they jobbed him by benching him in game 3 of the playoffs. Luongo's value is low, while Schneider's (might be) inflated.

I made the point in another thread that a big part of Nonis' terrible legacy in Vancouver was because when he had the choice between Rob Niedermayer and re-signing Naslund, Nonis made the wrong call (though it was a close call at the time). Similarly, I think Gillis' legacy will be determined by what he does with the goalie situation. I personally believe history will show the right call to be trading Schneider and keeping Luongo, let's see if Gillis can make that happen.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Cory will be a Vezina nominee within the next two years and the best playoff goalie the Canucks have ever had when it's all said and done.

As an aside, how stacked are the Yanks gonna be in net in Sochi?
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

ESQ wrote: If there was any way to keep Luongo, I'd be all for it. I honestly thought in 2010-11 and 11-12 that Cory was getting pumped with easy starts to boost his trade value. Unfortunately, MG and AV didn't do that for Luongo this year, plus they jobbed him by benching him in game 3 of the playoffs. Luongo's value is low, while Schneider's (might be) inflated.
Au contraire,

Schneider got many quality starts on 2011-12 including big wins against arguable the Nucks two biggest rivals at that point, Boston and Chicago...as well as starts against top teams in St. Louis, Detroit, New Jersey

if anything, they were giving Schneider some tough starts to convince themselves they could trade Luongo
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Vader wrote: Au contraire,

Schneider got many quality starts on 2011-12 including big wins against arguable the Nucks two biggest rivals at that point, Boston and Chicago...as well as starts against top teams in St. Louis, Detroit, New Jersey

if anything, they were giving Schneider some tough starts to convince themselves they could trade Luongo
In 2011-12, Schneider got 2 starts against Chicago, going 2/4. The only other starts against Playoff-quality teams were Boston, New Jersey, Nashville (got pulled), Detroit and St Louis. So he got 5 of the 28 starts against WC playoff teams, and 2 of the 7 starts against EC playoff teams. Seven of 28 starts that year were against playoff teams, while Luongo had 28 of 54 starts against playoff teams.

So I stand by saying Schneider had sheltered starts in 2011-12. That's why the Boston and Chicago games stand out for so many people, because that was not normal for Schneider to be put in high-pressure games at that time.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

LOL @ Poor Bobby Lou getting "jobbed" by the coaching staff in the series against LA.

He was on a short leash to start the playoffs for an excellent reason: three straight years of embarrassing, astronomical, unprecedented meltdowns. He played great in game 1 and then looked shaky in game 2... which was enough for AV to give him the hook and replace him with a goaltender who had been absolutely fantastic all season and hadn't yet had a chance in the postseason.

It turned out to be the right decision, seeing as Cory was unbelievable in the three games he played and gave the team a chance to win despite a lackadaisical and impotent offense in front of him.

Lou has been a great player for this team for a long time but he's gone, people. Get over it. You remind me of the fans who cried when Keenan dumped an underperforming Linden in what turned out to be one of the best trades in franchise history. "He was such a nice guy, so great in the community..." Who gives a shit.

Bobby Lou has always been about Bobby Lou. I still can't believe he had a C on his helmet. :lol: The guy let in everything shot his general direction in an elimination game and threw his teammates under the bus in the locker room afterwards.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Fri May 31, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.