Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Coaches canned

Postby ukcanuck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:24 am

I guess what I'm sayin brooksie is get the fuck out of here then...

I gotta wonder, if torts there got the job and during the playoffs when the Canucks get their annual anal cleansing from the refs and the league.... Will he take the fine and/or suspension for explaining to the media that a spade is not in fact just a manually operated entrenching tool ?

Cause if he did, he might endear a few fans like me...
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2342
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Coaches canned

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:59 am

Ya I was getting tired of the laughing frenchman who always seemed to be sucking an ice cube during his interviews. I swear all you could hear was it clicked against his teeth when he was trying to talk. More than once I wanted to call in and have someone suggest he take the frigging thing out of his mouth to do interviews.

With Torts I wonder if we would no longer get live interview. All that bleeping.

Hearing that through the grapevine word has leaked out that Tippet wants to stay with the team no matter where it is but that a new contract will depend upon who owns the team. He'll get a new contract he just doesn't know from whom yet but word has filtered down that his preference, much like Doan, is to stay with the club so I think he is almost out of the running. Not sure based upon this if the Canucks will wait much longer.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3624
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Coaches canned

Postby Lancer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:47 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya I was getting tired of the laughing frenchman who always seemed to be sucking an ice cube during his interviews. I swear all you could hear was it clicked against his teeth when he was trying to talk. More than once I wanted to call in and have someone suggest he take the frigging thing out of his mouth to do interviews.

With Torts I wonder if we would no longer get live interview. All that bleeping.

Hearing that through the grapevine word has leaked out that Tippet wants to stay with the team no matter where it is but that a new contract will depend upon who owns the team. He'll get a new contract he just doesn't know from whom yet but word has filtered down that his preference, much like Doan, is to stay with the club so I think he is almost out of the running. Not sure based upon this if the Canucks will wait much longer.


At least it's better than another soap opera out of Phoenix which leaves us in suspense until we get the boner ending. As I've said before, good coach but not a good fit for Vancouver.

Guess the only thing holding things up is the usual Gillis deliberate, careful and considered approach to doing anything. Appreciate his candor towards a decision on which his career hinges, but the suspense is starting to wear on me. I'm starting not to care who it is among the final candidates. Pick somebody already!! :crazy:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Coaches canned

Postby FAN » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:24 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:If you take away the cup win ? Why should that be taken away ?


Because a single Cup victory have often caused GMs and fans to believe that a Cup winning coach is a good coach. Tortorella's teams have lost in the first round or missed the playoffs 7 out of 10 seasons. That's a terrible playoff record for a coach. If having ONE Cup win is all that matters, guys like Keenan and Crawford should be frontrunners for NHL coaching positions.


Topper wrote:LOL

AV's playoff record smells like roses if you add a cup win.

LOL


Not if the Cup win replaces the Cup finals lost.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Coaches canned

Postby dbr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:03 am

FAN wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:If you take away the cup win ? Why should that be taken away ?


Because a single Cup victory have often caused GMs and fans to believe that a Cup winning coach is a good coach. Tortorella's teams have lost in the first round or missed the playoffs 7 out of 10 seasons. That's a terrible playoff record for a coach. If having ONE Cup win is all that matters, guys like Keenan and Crawford should be frontrunners for NHL coaching positions.


Conversely, if you take away his worst result then he's gotten his team into the playoffs eight out of eleven times and past the first round in four out of eight playoff appearances (and past the second round in two out of those).

If you take away his worst result and his partial seasons then you have seven playoff appearances in nine full seasons as coach, with the majority of his playoff appearances (and nearly half his seasons coaching) extending past the first round.

Having a cup ring isn't the be-all, end-all of evaluating a coach but once you start taking it away you're opening the door to all kinds of other manipulation which kind of undermines the point of looking at a coach's track record.

IMO Tortorella deserves some credit for the ascendance of the Lightning, as does Jay Feaster (sort of) and of course the players themselves.

The New York Rangers were also ascendant under Torts until Glen Sather blew his wad on a bunch of big names (shocker) and really hurt the team's depth.. even still they got into the second round and lost to the eventual conference champs.

I don't think you can say he singlehandedly coached those teams to their successes but you also can't really pin the fall of the Tampa Bay Lightning (due to the salary cap and a mickey mouse ownership group) on him either.

He's got huge red flags as I've said but IMO failing to get past the first round of the playoffs with some of the teams he had is not one of them.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Coaches canned

Postby tantalum » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:06 am

With Tippett likely not becoming available I'm warming to the idea of Tortz. If only because the fireworks within the media ought to be fun. But he does get the most out of his players it seems to me. Some love him for it and others hate him for it. In the case of Brad Richards it appears it can be both!

Likely wouldn't go too wrong with Stevens either to tell you the truth. Presumably he learned something during his 3+ year stint as a head coach, though even in the AHL his teams seemed to either excel or flame out.

Really what I'm saying is my list is:

(1) Tippett

(2) Everyone else

And (1) ain't available.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Coaches canned

Postby dbr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:38 am

I really like Stevens' work with Drew Doughty and Voynov, sounds like it is just a case of work habits and preparation and professionalism too so it probably wouldn't be something that the forward group couldn't benefit from either.

IMO this franchise desperately needs a couple of immensely gifted younger players to step forward next year (Edler and Kassian) and Stevens might be the guy to do it.

Maybe they don't need the help, maybe they do and Tortorella can also bring it out of them.

I guess in all likelihood, either candidate is going to be challenged to demonstrate more versatility than they have in the past if they wind up behind the bench here.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Coaches canned

Postby tantalum » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:13 am

Stars president at Dallas-Fort Worth Chamber lunch has said Ruff has been hired by the Stars (or will be).

Scratch him off the list.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Coaches canned

Postby herb » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:19 am

Ruff hired by the team that beat him in the finals by a foot in the crease…
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Coaches canned

Postby SKYO » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:29 am

tantalum wrote:Stars president at Dallas-Fort Worth Chamber lunch has said Ruff has been hired by the Stars (or will be).

Scratch him off the list.


phew thank goodness.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3262
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Coaches canned

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:42 am

Well if it is experience we want that leaves Torts. Did Mg even interview Ruff?
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3624
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Coaches canned

Postby tantalum » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:07 pm

I believe Ruff was interviewed but I can't be bothered to find something that says one way or the other. :D
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Coaches canned

Postby coco_canuck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:18 pm

tantalum wrote:I believe Ruff was interviewed but I can't be bothered to find something that says one way or the other. :D


I'm too lazy to link anything, but word yesterday was the Ruff has had two interviews with the Canucks.

Kudos to Dallas for hiring him. I would have been pretty disappointed if we got him.
User avatar
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: Coaches canned

Postby Arachnid » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Torts get the job by default 'cause he's the last man standing...

:eh:
Socks are dead puppets :(
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4914
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: Coaches canned

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Arachnid wrote:Torts get the job by default 'cause he's the last man standing...

:eh:

Not if he was the first choice all along. :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3624
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TDA Rum and 2 guests